Crap. Aspirator arrived without collection jar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdammer

Reaction score
Just got my aspirator. The description said one collection jar. Didn't come.

I don't think I would want to use it without a collection jar. I'd be bummed if I got some liquid in the pump and messed it up.

Any ideas?

I read about another guy who got an aspirator off Ebay and it was also missing the jar. (Trend?) Maybe you should reflect that when you post your rating of service on Ebay.

Just got my aspirator. The description said one collection jar. Didn't come.

I don't think I would want to use it without a collection jar. I'd be bummed if I got some liquid in the pump and messed it up.

Any ideas?

Use any jar into which you can place a cork with 2 drilled holes. Or, put 2 holes in a jelly jar lid. Into the holes put 2 tubing sections and seal the holes with caulk. One hose goes to the pump and one to the carboy being filled. It sounds temporary, but can be permanent. Have fun. :b

I bought a case because I thought they were single use. I was going to list them on eBay. PM me if you want one.

I believe you need a perscription to get one with the jar.(if you are getting it from any sort of retailer)

You could really take the seller to task on this one. eBay is set up these days to protect the buyer. I'd demand from the seller that they correct the situation.

Or, RadarLuv can help out.

Yah I talked the guy. He made a mistake and so did I. It didn't have it pictured on it in the picture. The description said it came with one. (He copied and pasted from the new description) I thought about asking and then forgot. Not a big deal. I PM'd Radar. I did find one for about 17 including shipping. All the other aspirators were still going for more than I paid for this one. Not a big deal.

I figured I can still rack some wine with it tomorrow without making another jar. Just probably wont degas until I get a container or make a temporary one of my own.

You're gonna love this thing. Just be sure to start your racking off with LOW vacuum and adjust up if needed. It'll airate your wine like a pressure washer if you go too fast.

Great addition to your wine room.

It is great. I racked to the secondary today and it was amazing. It got away from me a bit and I got some in my aspirator air filter. So that's drying out now. I ordered a collection jar off of ebay. Wasn't too expensive. I have to rack another wine later this week and don't want to deal with a wet air filter again.

No more siphoning for me ever again!

Good for you, jammer.

I would really love to have a vacuum setup. It is the only way to go!
Maybe later I'll fork over.

Good for you, jammer.

I would really love to have a vacuum setup. It is the only way to go!
Maybe later I'll fork over.

Robie,

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay. Use search terms such as "medical aspirator" or "gomco" or other names of medical aspirators.

New these go for hundreds of dollars but once they've lived through their usefullness in the hospitals and other medical related fields they end up at some liquidation company who sells them off.

They'll be used of course so BUYER BEWARE. Read the descriptions closely and even ask the buyer for details. And of course always buy from somebody who has a good seller rating.

djammer got the same type of deal I got....45-50 bucks plus shipping. My shipping ran $25 and when I received the box I knew why...the one I got was pretty darned heavy which to me equalled SOLID and well built.

Dont get any liquid or even moisture in your motor cause that will ruin it!

Well I just started to degas for the first time with the aspirator. After doing it a couple of times with the stick I can say this is a million times better.

I'm actually surprised on how long it is taking. It's been going for 15 minutes now and still a bunch of gas.

On a side note I see some white flakes floating around. Don't think the meta and sorbate dissolved fully. Problem or not really?

Dont just let it keep going like that! You can always pull bubbles. You have to watch the size bubbles, the smaller ones in the beginning are C02 and after that you are ust pulling o2 through your wine. I use it on low for about 3 minutes, then try and goup to 18 and if I can I shut it off and max the adjuster at the same time and it wil hold a vacuum that way wih the exception of the wine degassing, once I can hold 16" for 1/2 an hour its deassed. You have to have some cotten in the exhaust port to do this as resistance and you have to have enough of it.

Dont just let it keep going like that! You can always pull bubbles. You have to watch the size bubbles, the smaller ones in the beginning are C02 and after that you are ust pulling o2 through your wine. I use it on low for about 3 minutes, then try and goup to 18 and if I can I shut it off and max the adjuster at the same time and it wil hold a vacuum that way wih the exception of the wine degassing, once I can hold 16" for 1/2 an hour its deassed. You have to have some cotten in the exhaust port to do this as resistance and you have to have enough of it.

Well crap. Too late now. Live and learn.

I could watch those bubbles for hours. Sometimes you can see them start in the middle of the carboy out of nowhere. Sooooo coooool!

Latest posts

Back