Crane migration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
The annual sandhill crane migration is in full swing. They stop here in central Nebraska to tank up on waste grain and it is their breeding season. I know gasoline is high, but you can drive around and see thousands of them. Take I-80 to Grand Island, go south to Doniphan. Turn right at the stop light and follow the black top road. If you stop to watch them, try to pull as far to the side as you can. If you need more info, give me a shout, either on here or p.m. Arne.

I have never seen the big migrations in person but it sounds awesome. I remember in college going on crane counts and being thrilled that we actually heard a Sandhill crane on one of our routes! Now they are everywhere around here (WI). I’ll see groups of up to a hundred birds when they start heading south and there is always a breeding pair in the marsh behind the house. They showed up here on Tuesday and I’m awakened many mornings by their calls.

They Winter down here in NM in the Bosque del Apache (Between ABQ and Soccoro). They started flying North about a month ago and they circle overhead right above our house like they are getting GPS coordinates or something before they continue North. Beautiful sight and a better indicator that Spring is around the corner than Pauxautawney Phil by a long shot!

Stan_Bravenec_2.jpeg

They call it "ribeye from the sky" or some such nonsense. Went to a late Summer dinner party a few years back and the host actually served this bacon wrapped no less cooked over a charcoal grill. All I can say was that we politely tried it but can't say it was good or that I would ever eat it again especially knowing what it was. The meat was very dry/lean no fat and thus not much flavor. Sandhill Cranes are not endangered by the way and they have a legal hunting season.

I spotted two here in Southeastern Ontario last week. I’ve never seen flocks of them, but we usually have a pair that spends a couple of weeks in our back field during early spring.

We have had huge flocks of Canada Geese for the past two weeks

They call it "ribeye from the sky" or some such nonsense. Went to a late Summer dinner party a few years back and the host actually served this bacon wrapped no less cooked over a charcoal grill. All I can say was that we politely tried it but can't say it was good or that I would ever eat it again especially knowing what it was. The meat was very dry/lean no fat and thus not much flavor. Sandhill Cranes are not endangered by the way and they have a legal hunting season.
It was probably over-cooked. Lean meats need to be less done, else they turn to leather. Granted, you may not have liked it even then, but it might make a difference.

Make me wonder if it the crane would make good hamburger. I grind venison half-n-half with pork butt -- it makes great hamburg and sausage.

On the news last nite said over 500000 of them here now. Looking for more next week. They do flyovers most days, take pics and do the counts from there. This is over about a hundred mile stretch of the Platte river. Lots of birds here now. Arne.

On the news last nite said over 500000 of them here now. Looking for more next week. They do flyovers most days, take pics and do the counts from there. This is over about a hundred mile stretch of the Platte river. Lots of birds here now. Arne.
You must live close by. I’m only 2 miles from the Platte River and see them everyday from March to April.

Has anyone ever heard the really loud booming call they make? Not the trilling sound. One year a pair was separated from their chick and one them let loose with loudest sound I’ve ever heard a bird make. It was pretty ancient sounding

I have only heard this noise overhead each Spring and Fall for 35 years now!

Has anyone ever heard the really loud booming call they make? Not the trilling sound. One year a pair was separated from their chick and one them let loose with loudest sound I’ve ever heard a bird make. It was pretty ancient sounding

I heard something like this when my dogs took off after a family of cranes in the field. Mom and dad both started posturing with wings out and making a loud noise while approaching towards the dog. They backed down and never went after them again. Cranes are very imposing creatures when they get protective of their chicks.

Back