Cranberry Wine from Juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASR

Reaction score
There may be a thread for this, but it is too difficult to searach the forums so here goes.

Put together a one gallon batch of cranberry juice as follows:
64 oz 100% cranberry juice (nothing added)
60 oz 100% cranberry-pineapple juice (all juices but also vit c and fumaric acid)
8 oz water to bring it just past one gallon to account for some loss in racking
4 cups sugar
1.5 tsp acid blend
.5 tsp pectic acid
.5 tsp energizer

the chemicals were base don a generic cranberry recipe. Mixed it and was to have a intial sg of 1.09-1.095 but had initial SG of 1.12. Currently debating to go with the higher SG or dilute down to 1.09 More to follow as it develops.

Your experience may be very different ASR but I find when I use more than 1 pint of cranberry juice in a gallon with the sugar content coming from honey - so a cranberry mead the cranberries are just too sour for the drink to be pleasant.. but I see you are also intending to add acid blend... You like your wines sour.

On the 5th I wrote i had a SG of 1.12 which seemed high. I stirred the heck out of it, thinking i might have not dissolved the sugar well and was reading from the bottom where sugar was sitting. After some really heavy stirring I got a reading of 1.096 It was a slow starting fermentation as on the 8th the reading was 1.092 but on the 12th it had gone down to 1.034 My target to move to secondary is 1.030, so likely tomorrow the 13th it goes to secondary.

On the 5th I wrote i had a SG of 1.12 which seemed high. I stirred the heck out of it, thinking i might have not dissolved the sugar well and was reading from the bottom where sugar was sitting. After some really heavy stirring I got a reading of 1.096 It was a slow starting fermentation as on the 8th the reading was 1.092 but on the 12th it had gone down to 1.034 My target to move to secondary is 1.030, so likely tomorrow the 13th it goes to secondary.

I might let a cranberry go drier than 1.030 before disturbing it and moving to glass. It has a tendency to get stuck. I would probably wait until 1.010 or even lower before racking it.

Yesterday the SG hit 1.028. Usually I would transfer it to secondary and let it sit for a few weeks to get down to < 1.000 Then I rack it again and let it settle out - usually about three months, though if it is still cloudy I will rack it again. I don't specifically degass it, as the time sitting tends to do that. Though for a bit quicker clearing I was thinking of fining agents when i rack it when it hits <1.000. Anyone use fining agents with fruit wines before?

Moved the crranberry to secondary when it hit 1.018. Did a quick taste and based on that exect to do some back-sweetening down the road. It is bubbling away as it degasses on its own. Will check again in a few weeks then rack again and let it clear. Am still thinking if I want to add fining agents but I dont think there is any rule on when adding agents is too late to be useful.

Yesterday the SG hit 1.028. Usually I would transfer it to secondary and let it sit for a few weeks to get down to < 1.000 Then I rack it again and let it settle out - usually about three months, though if it is still cloudy I will rack it again. I don't specifically degass it, as the time sitting tends to do that. Though for a bit quicker clearing I was thinking of fining agents when i rack it when it hits <1.000. Anyone use fining agents with fruit wines before?

I hae added fining agents to a fruit wine, but not at the stage you are thinking of doing it. I generally let them sit for six to nine months before I even think about fining. Let those flavors meld, the time take care of most of the floaties. Wine kits have you add them way to soon and people learn bad habits trying to produce a wine in 8 weeks or less.

I hae added fining agents to a fruit wine, but not at the stage you are thinking of doing it. I generally let them sit for six to nine months before I even think about fining. Let those flavors meld, the time take care of most of the floaties. Wine kits have you add them way to soon and people learn bad habits trying to produce a wine in 8 weeks or less.
Thanks! I tend to go for the long haul with fruit wines.

If you make Cranberry wine again, try it with the canned cranberries. Look for them at a closeout grocer, where they sell out of date goods. Our's has them for 75 cents. Aldi has fresh berries right now for 99 cents for a pound. Both canned and fresh will make a better wine than just the juice.

We are trying this from juice as an experiement. We had just hand crushed 20 pounds of apples for hard cider, 6 pounds of pears for a pear wine, and when faced with crushing cranberries we opted out. As an aside, I am using this experiement, combined with hand crushing to justify buying a fruit crusher going into next season :)

I've been wondering how a cranberry wine would taste. Can anyone give me an idea? I have not attempted one of these 1-gallon batches yet, and would like to give it a go. I do like cranberry, but it may taste different when it's converted to a wine, lol! Thx!

I've been wondering how a cranberry wine would taste. Can anyone give me an idea? I have not attempted one of these 1-gallon batches yet, and would like to give it a go. I do like cranberry, but it may taste different when it's converted to a wine, lol! Thx!

I am sure that there will be many different opinions but straight cranberry wine - IMO - tastes too tart to be enjoyable. I have found (and I am speaking only in light of my own experiences) that I need to dilute cranberry juice and so use 1 pint of the juice to about 6-6.5 pints of water with the added volume coming from honey to make up a heavy gallon (I want to rack a gallon from my bucket into the carboy so I begin with more must than 1 gallon)

I am sure that there will be many different opinions but straight cranberry wine - IMO - tastes too tart to be enjoyable. I have found (and I am speaking only in light of my own experiences) that I need to dilute cranberry juice and so use 1 pint of the juice to about 6-6.5 pints of water with the added volume coming from honey to make up a heavy gallon (I want to rack a gallon from my bucket into the carboy so I begin with more must than 1 gallon)
Interesting, and thank you. Would back sweetening help with the tartness?

It really varies in how its made. I have seen cranberry juice cut with apple juice, but don't know the porportions. There are some variations where it is 10% cranberry and some other white variety (though i am not sure you can call that cranberry wine). The version I made is definitely on the tart side. I will back sweeten it some, but it will still be a strong pure cranberry flavor.

It really varies in how its made. I have seen cranberry juice cut with apple juice, but don't know the porportions. There are some variations where it is 10% cranberry and some other white variety (though i am not sure you can call that cranberry wine). The version I made is definitely on the tart side. I will back sweeten it some, but it will still be a strong pure cranberry flavor.
Ok, thanks ASR. Definitely gonna give this one a shot, but going to make my "first" batch of Dragons Blood this month!

It might. Trouble is that when I used the juice straight, it was so tart that it would have had to have been sweetened to the level of a dessert wine and that was not anything I was prepared to do. It was "knock your teeth out tart...

I did one using 100% juice cocktail / premier curve yeast. Back sweetened s.g. 1.012 for a 1 1/2 gal batch.
Came out pretty good !!

Bill

Latest posts

Back