Cranberry Wine from Juices

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by ASR, Nov 5, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Nov 5, 2018 #1

ASR

ASR

ASR

There may be a thread for this, but it is too difficult to searach the forums so here goes.

Put together a one gallon batch of cranberry juice as follows:
    64 oz 100% cranberry juice (nothing added)
    60 oz 100% cranberry-pineapple juice (all juices but also vit c and fumaric acid)
    8 oz water to bring it just past one gallon to account for some loss in racking
    4 cups sugar
    1.5 tsp acid blend
    .5 tsp pectic acid
    .5 tsp energizer

the chemicals were base don a generic cranberry recipe. Mixed it and was to have a intial sg of 1.09-1.095 but had initial SG of 1.12. Currently debating to go with the higher SG or dilute down to 1.09 More to follow as it develops.

2. Nov 6, 2018 #2

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

Your experience may be very different ASR but I find when I use more than 1 pint of cranberry juice in a gallon with the sugar content coming from honey - so a cranberry mead the cranberries are just too sour for the drink to be pleasant.. but I see you are also intending to add acid blend... You like your wines sour.

3. Nov 6, 2018 #3

ASR

ASR

ASR

Just started it yesterday, so will have to see hwo it turns out.

BernardSmith likes this.
  4. Nov 12, 2018 at 5:56 PM #4

ASR

ASR

ASR

On the 5th I wrote i had a SG of 1.12 which seemed high. I stirred the heck out of it, thinking i might have not dissolved the sugar well and was reading from the bottom where sugar was sitting. After some really heavy stirring I got a reading of 1.096 It was a slow starting fermentation as on the 8th the reading was 1.092 but on the 12th it had gone down to 1.034 My target to move to secondary is 1.030, so likely tomorrow the 13th it goes to secondary.

5. Nov 12, 2018 at 6:46 PM #5

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

I might let a cranberry go drier than 1.030 before disturbing it and moving to glass. It has a tendency to get stuck. I would probably wait until 1.010 or even lower before racking it.

6. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:46 PM #6

ASR

ASR

ASR

Yesterday the SG hit 1.028. Usually I would transfer it to secondary and let it sit for a few weeks to get down to < 1.000 Then I rack it again and let it settle out - usually about three months, though if it is still cloudy I will rack it again. I don't specifically degass it, as the time sitting tends to do that. Though for a bit quicker clearing I was thinking of fining agents when i rack it when it hits <1.000. Anyone use fining agents with fruit wines before?