Cranberry Wine Back Sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I started a cranberry wine from Old Orchard concentrates.
It's finished fermenting at about 10.5% abv. Which is what I was going for.
It certainly needs back sweetening. Just how to go about it is the issue.
I think if I just use simple syrup and water I will love a lot of flavor.
I'm thinking of taking another can of the concentrate and dissolving sugar into that on the stove.
What are you guys thoughts on that?

Could you try some samples? Some couple-ounce testers?

Maybe try a sugar syrup addition, see what happens
Try the concentrate, see how it differs

Almost wonder if you could make the juice per directions on the label (usually like 3 cans of water), and add your sugar to some of that?.. dunno how concentrated, 'concentrated' is, but just considering the flavor differences.. Might be a theory better suited to those who find themselves with quite a bit of extra head space.. Anywho, just a random thought..

I may do a trial. Nothing like drinking the experiment! I don't have much head space so I've gotta use the least amount of liquid. Maybe HFCS....

Adding another can may be too much flavor. How many gallons. If it's a five you could sweeten 3 gallons to say 1.015 and the other 2 sweeten to 1.006 for example.

I would just take a small sample, add sugar to it in a pan on stove, gently stir and warm until disolved. Reintroduce to wine with sorbate. Wait a week and bottle.

Originally I tested with several ounces and small amounts of sugar. Now I kinda know what I want.

This may be good as a semi dry wine.

Ive used the concentrates a few times to do just this. I usually do this with an apple wine. If its a 5 gallon batch just play with one gallon taking notes on how much you add and when you have it right multiply that by what you have left and adjust accordingly.

I did Cranberry based wines but with Ocean Spray bottled juice . When it was time to sweeten them I make the simple syrup but replace the amount of water with the juice and simmer awhile . Know how big the batch is would be helpful. For our taste we like to sweeten to SG reading around 1.010 maybe a little less .

Latest posts

Back