Cranberry fermention question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bossbaby

Reaction score
Hey yall. I have two batches of cranberry going, the 2.5 gallon batch I used EC1118 and it's almost done fermenting, and I started a 6 gal batch a week later and used two sachets of 71b in this one, unlike the first batch this one has been sitting for about 36 hours with no activity. When do I start to worry and try something to get it going both batches had a s.g. of 1.112 . when do I start to worry? any thoughts would be great.. thx.

Hey yall. I have two batches of cranberry going, the 2.5 gallon batch I used EC1118 and it's almost done fermenting, and I started a 6 gal batch a week later and used two sachets of 71b in this one, unlike the first batch this one has been sitting for about 36 hours with no activity. When do I start to worry and try something to get it going both batches had a s.g. of 1.112 . when do I start to worry? any thoughts would be great.. thx.
I wouldn't be too concerned unless you get beyond 3-4 days. What's the temp of the must? The cooler it is, the longer it takes to get going. The pH can also have an effect on yeast, the lower it is, the slower it is, if it's too low, it may not start at all. If your pH is in the low 3's or high 2's, there may be cause for concern if it doesn't get rolling shortly.

If your pH is in the low 3's or high 2's, there may be cause for concern if it doesn't get rolling shortly.
I racked 4 gallons of cranberry wine this weekend. My fermentation went well. However, I was cautioned that cranberries often yield a low ph. Before I pitched the yeast I found the ph to be 3.2. I buffered it to just shy of 3.8. It was 3.48 when fermentation concluded. This may not be your particular issue, if you even have one. But it should be high on your suspect list.

I followed a different recipe than my first batch for some dumb reason, and It called for 1 tsp acid blend per gal, I wondered at the time why but went with it, I ordered a ph meter and it wont be here for a week , is it to late to adjust the ph? would adding more nutrient or Energizer help get the yeast going?

I followed a different recipe than my first batch for some dumb reason, and It called for 1 tsp acid blend per gal, I wondered at the time why but went with it
I saw that recipe!! I noted none of the other recipes called for any acid blend but they didn't caution you about an acidic environment with the must. The manager where I get my supplies told me to watch for the acid. No dumb reason on your part; you followed the recipe.

First, check to see if the ph indicates you have a problem. If you do, then treat over a period of time, perhaps a few days depending on what buffering substance you use. I used pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) and was able to adjust the ph in several increments within 18 hours. I would also assume the yeast will no longer work and you will need to pitch new yeast likely in the form of a starter.

what dosage per gallon were you working with/ pH shift?
Honestly, I winged it. I recall 3/4 tsp on first dose then less as ph increased. My goal was 3.8 and I got 3.78 when I stopped adding. I measured after about an hour of adding the buffer.

I racked 4 gallons of cranberry wine this weekend. My fermentation went well. However, I was cautioned that cranberries often yield a low ph. Before I pitched the yeast I found the ph to be 3.2. I buffered it to just shy of 3.8. It was 3.48 when fermentation concluded. This may not be your particular issue, if you even have one. But it should be high on your suspect list.
How did you "buffer" it?........................................................DizzyIzzy

Honestly, I winged it. I recall 3/4 tsp on first dose then less as ph increased. My goal was 3.8 and I got 3.78 when I stopped adding. I measured after about an hour of adding the buffer.
3/4 tsp. per ?? gallons...........................................................DizzyIzzy

is it to late to adjust the ph? would adding more nutrient or Energizer help get the yeast going?
Calcium carbonate is widely available to deacidify and should be at your LHBS. Without a pH meter you are going blind though to dial in the TA and pH. Avoid going over 5g/L with the CaCO2 to prevent calcium salt precipitation with the citric acid. Potassium (bi)carbonate works too but you don't want to dose more than 3g/L or the wine will take on a salty taste. Between the two, you can get the chemistry right. Water is your last variable available to lower the acidity but it reduces flavor.

The goal is to get the pH between 3.1 and 3.5 with the TA under 10g/L. This way the yeast will be happy and the wine not so overly tart that backsweetening can't solve.

Dealing with non-grape wines gives appreciation for how perfect grapes are.

so, I ended up getting impatient after adding another dose of yeast and nothing happening so I made a yeast starter over a 12 hr period, I pulled the bag of cranberries to another bucket, added water to both batches and checked gravity in the first still 1.100 went to check the other and snapped the hydrometer in half,,,, :( so I added the starter to the original batch, dumped the other and 4 hrs later it started ripping and 3 days later still going strong, it smells and looks wonderful, my digital ph tester just came today so I will be more prepared in the future.. thanks for all the help everyone.. !! would this be considered a rose' since it didnt have skins during fermentation?

I've got a cranberry melomel going right now that's literally cranberries and honey, only yeast rehydration water. pH is 2.7. Pitched 4g/gal rehydrated with goferm and a 400PPM YAN target with DAP/Ferm-K/Stimula Syrah. It's ripped through 60 points in 5 days. Treat your yeast right and they'll come through.

Last edited:
pH is 2.7. Pitched 4g/gal rehydrated with goferm and a 400PPM YAN
Hats off and best of luck to the yeast. That's a very low pH and there is still risk of the fermentation stalling as the alcohol builds. With that large YAN, there is also ample opportunity for spoilage organisms to have lunch and dinner at the buffet, though it would not take much SO2 at that pH to keep them at bay.

My $0.02 is to get the pH to a level that the yeast will be happy (>3.1) and let them work through the sugar in good order. I've negotiated cranberry, lime and many a lemon wine through an otherwise inhospitable environment. Cheers to all and a goodnight.

I fully expect this to finish well over 70 delle, and between that, the pH, and the benzoic acid from the cranberries I don't expect to need to worry much about microbial stability.

I successfully fermented fresh cranberry wine w a ph of 3.0. I expected lower ph but after adding water to the crushed berries I left it as is. Yeast was R2 and opti white. Took a day and a half to get going made it through w the addition of fermax halfway.
I've never backsweatened cranberry so after the sorbate what can I use to backsweaten? Obviously a simple syrup w 1-1 sugar water but I want to taste cranberries not sugar. Would using a frozen cranberry juice concentrate work to backsweaten? At what dose for 5 gallons if anyone has done this before?

I think opti-red would do more work to promote color stability. I don't see why cranberry juice concentrate wouldn't work, as too amount, bench trial. I suspect mine will need to be 1.07 to 1.08 to be balanced.

Latest posts

Back