Cranberry Concentrate/ Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMan2

Junior
Reaction score
I am wanting to start a batch of cranberry wine and since cranberries aren't in season right now I'm thinking of using a concentrate or juice. I haven't checked my local stores yet but have looked around a little online.

Does anyone have any brands or specific juices/ concentrates to look for? I figure I'm looking for something with no sorbate and little to no sugar added. It seems many of them aren't just cranberry juice and have apple or grape juice added, I am afraid those may not turn out as well as I would like. Any other tips or things to look out for?

Go online. "Dynamic Health" label is listed as 100% Cranberry. It's a concentrate so you can make it as strong as you like. $15.00 a bottle on Walmart site.

Go online. "Dynamic Health" label is listed as 100% Cranberry. It's a concentrate so you can make it as strong as you like. $15.00 a bottle on Walmart site.

I did come across that one and it seemed like a good option. I have absolutely no clue how much i would use, do you have any recommendations? I'm likely making 3 gallons. I've read people use 3-4 cans of frozen concentrate per gallon. But it seems like it would be super expensive to use about 10 bottles of this stuff for 3 gallons coming out about 150 bucks does that seem right to anyone? Or should i be using a lot less concentrate than that?

Trader Joe's sells 100% Cranberry juice with no preservatives. (And no added sugar. I tried drinking it straight, and it isn't pleasant at all on its own!) I've used it to top-off my cranberry and cran-apple wines before. It's not a concentrate, but it is potent.

As to quantity for 3 Gallons I would take whatever quantity they say it takes for one (1) Gallon of drink and up that amount by about 25 -40% So if one bottle makes 1 gallon drink I would use at least 4 bottles for 3 gallons of wine. More if you are into stronger flavors.

Another key I look at is how many calories in a single 8 oz serving -Typically they call for 1 oz of concentrate to 7 oz of water for a serving. If that number is under 110 calories per serving then go stronger with the mix.

(I found with tart cherry concentrate with no sugar added the calorie count varied from one brand to another from 70-110 calories/per 8oz serving. I stayed away from the lower calorie concentrate because that's less sugar and most likely either less ripe cherries or fewer cherries per serving. - That's my unscientific approach.)

Yeah that sounds a little high for 3 gallons of wine. I did a little quick research and found that cranberries are definitely more expensive. Several concentrates direct the use of 1 oz concentrate with 5 oz water for a 6 oz serving. That is going to jump the price up a lot. The only other option ?? is to use dried or frozen whole cranberries. You would have to cook raw cranberries or reconsitute dried berries. I defer to others who probably have a ton more experience with cranberry wine. Just looks like a more expensive wine to make from concentrates.

Last edited:
As to quantity for 3 Gallons I would take whatever quantity they say it takes for one (1) Gallon of drink and up that amount by about 25 -40% So if one bottle makes 1 gallon drink I would use at least 4 bottles for 3 gallons of wine. More if you are into stronger flavors.

Another key I look at is how many calories in a single 8 oz serving -Typically they call for 1 oz of concentrate to 7 oz of water for a serving. If that number is under 110 calories per serving then go stronger with the mix.

(I found with tart cherry concentrate with no sugar added the calorie count varied from one brand to another from 70-110 calories/per 8oz serving. I stayed away from the lower calorie concentrate because that's less sugar and most likely either less ripe cherries or fewer cherries per serving. - That's my unscientific approach.)

Yeah that sounds a little high for 3 gallons of wine. I did a little quick research and found that cranberries are definitely more expensive. Several concentrates direct the use of 1 oz concentrate with 5 oz water for a 6 oz serving. That is going to jump the price up a lot. The only other option ?? is to use dried or frozen whole cranberries. You would have to cook raw cranberries or reconsitute dried berries. I defer to others who probably have a ton more experience with cranberry wine. Just looks like a more expensive wine to make from concentrates.

Thanks for all the help! It does seem to be a more expensive wine to make.

I did find one on amazon called FruitFast Cranberry Juice Concentrate. Theres one ingredient "concentrated 100% cranberry juice" so it seems like it would work.

In the description they say that 3/4 pound of cranberries are used to make 1 ounce of concentrate...so in this 32 ounce bottle they would have used 24 pounds of cranberries. I'm curious if i used about a half bottle of this and mixed with water to get my 3 gallons if that would turn out. The math would say 12 pounds of cranberries went into my batch.

This doesn't seem like a bad option but im a newbie so i don't know much about concentrates. Maybe someone else has tried something similar or has some tips?

Other than the cost - If that's a concern, I'd go for it. You can always blend it with another wine if it can't stand on it's own merits.

Remember you need to end up with at least 10% alcohol by volume for your wine to keep at all. So adding sugar is pretty much mandatory unless those cranberries have a lot of sugar.

Latest posts

Back