Craisin wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-wine

Reaction score
I started a two gallon batch of wine using Ocean Spray Craisins. I used a recipe for dried cranberries. It is still in the primary so I do not have any information on it yet. I'll up-date as soon as I test. The per gallon cost for the craisin wine is less than the cost for the raisin wine I plan to start on Friday.

e-wine

Sounds good. Keep in mind Cranberries have natural benzoate in it and it might give you some trouble fermenting. If you run into any problems of course, give a shout.

How about posting the recipe for us?

It's fermenting along quite well. I plan to transfer it into the secondary on Wednesday. I'll post the recipe then and provide the test results but it was just one for dried cranberries.

e-wine

The recipe:

3 pounds of Craisins
5 pounds of sugar
2 tsps each of pectic and yeast nutrient
couple of Campden tablets
yeast
water up to two gallons

My ph is low at 3.4 with the a range of 3.6 - 4.2. I did not adjust and will test the next time I rack.

e-wine

“craisins“ tm are cranberry which are infused with sugar, dried and then sprayed with an anti stick oil agent.
the shelf life is basically a function of the oil sprayed on them! There are other grocery sources of cranberry concentrate.

@Jovimaple why would one add oil with potential oxidation to a must?

Interestingly, home brewers experimented about 20 years ago with the addition of a tiny drop of olive oil to their wort to avoid the necessity of aerating before pitching yeast. I have no idea however, whether the idea proved a success or not.

Well, I guess I wasn't patient enough because I already started before I saw these posts! So we'll see if my experiment works. Just pitched the yeast this morning!

* Yeast need lipids for building cell walls
* yeast are better at building their own lipids in an oxygen environment
* olive oil is neat stuff, there is lot of "dirt" in the oil so it has unexpected functions as eliminating added sugar in pasta sauce
Interestingly, home brewers experimented about 20 years ago with the addition of a tiny drop of olive oil to their wort to avoid the necessity of aerating before pitching yeast. I have no idea however, whether the idea proved a success or not.
I have not been in the beer industry so can't answer if it worked but I can see why one would try it.

Back