CrabApple/rhubarb wine not passing through filter.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korzy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem with my Crab apple rhubarb wine. I fermented to dry, used sparkaloid to clear and filtered it with #1 buon vino filters. The first filtration when smoothly and the filters did not plug. After filtering there seemed to be a thick/stringy layer that descended from the top of the wine. this later dispersed throughout the wine. I tried to filter again about 3 days later. I couldn't run more than 15 seconds before the filters plugged(same number of filter as the first time) i put the wine back into the carboy and it almost seemed like a thin jelly or thick wine? little air bubbles were suspended in the wine as well.

I have no idea what this is or what caused it between the first and second filtration. The wine smells, looks and tastes good. Pectin bound together from first filtration?(i didn't use pectic enzyme)

dunno any help would be appreciated.

big mistake not to use pectic enzyme.
Mix 1 tsp per gallon (thats 2 x what you should have added). Add in a small amt of wine to make sure its mixed then add to wine.

Yeah it was my first batch of wine and didn't know enough to add pectic enzyme. Why did this occur after the first filtration?

thanks for your response Tom.

Back