crab apples

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raspberry

Reaction score
I was offered the apples off a crab apple tree type unknown . pressed some tonight with a sp 1.050 . what do you think should i wait or go for it. the juice taste grate

Crabs are good, the variety I had last year was Prairie star/ a bitter sweet and it turned into a blue ribbon cyser.
if it has tannin I would go for it, if not I would look for a tannin source to round out the flavor profile.

I was offered the apples off a crab apple tree type unknown . pressed some tonight with a sp 1.050 . what do you think should i wait or go for it. the juice taste grate
Personally, I'd adjust S.P. upwards to around 1.085, add yeast and if got enough tannin; sit back and wait. I have a crab apple in my front yard. Apples about the size of a playing marble, get enough apples every 2 - 3 years for a gallon. Turns out good. My church has a Dolgo crab apple that I can get enough apples for a 3 gallon batch every year. Much better.

Personally, I'd adjust S.P. upwards to around 1.085, add yeast and if got enough tannin; sit back and wait. I have a crab apple in my front yard. Apples about the size of a playing marble, get enough apples every 2 - 3 years for a gallon. Turns out good. My church has a Dolgo crab apple that I can get enough apples for a 3 gallon batch every year. Much better.
this tree has about ten five gal pails of apples on it fresh press just like a good cider with no blending of apples

this tree has about ten five gal pails of apples on it fresh press just like a good cider with no blending of apples
The crabs I have available tend to shrink/ dry out by mid October, IF the juice content is high enough, correct, you don’t need to blend apple juice, This depends on your variety.

The crabs I have available tend to shrink/ dry out by mid October, IF the juice content is high enough, correct, you don’t need to blend apple juice, This depends on your variety.
well I did it crushed and pressed 8.5 gals of crabs yesterday sp was 1.052, ta .46, ph 3.3 added sugar till sp1.080,
asid blend, fermax, and pitched yest this morning lavin rc 212 just starting to perk put one gal in the freezer for top up the werst part is you cant even tell i touched the tree or that could be good.

well I did it crushed and pressed 8.5 gals of crabs yesterday sp was 1.052, ta .46, ph 3.3 added sugar till sp1.080,
asid blend, fermax, and pitched yest this morning lavin rc 212 just starting to perk put one gal in the freezer for top up the werst part is you cant even tell i touched the tree or that could be good.
I so enjoyed my crab apple wine that if I wasn't so old I'd plant a Dolgo crab apple somewhere nearby. If i were you I'd be harvesting more crabs.

I so enjoyed my crab apple wine that if I wasn't so old I'd plant a Dolgo crab apple somewhere nearby. If i were you I'd be harvesting more crabs.
Iplan on it left the tarps under the tree but tomatoes come first only have four bushel for sunday

Back