Crab Apples

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
The crab apples are coming into season now and I was able to pick around 8 lbs today. Theres a ton more that arent ready yet but i wanted to get these big ones as they were starting to fall off the trees. Its going to be a busy year for me this year!

19 ;bs of raspberries as I couldnt go today cause my back was killing me from being bent over but ill go back tomorrow. Thats enough for 1 batch but I would really love to get 2 batches, one still wine and the other sparkling.

Two batches would be a bonus, takes a lot of raspberries and crabapples to make 10 gallons of wine.. Am going through my cupboards and freezers today, have 4 x empty primaries.. so being creative with the leftovers in the freezer.. think I have enough to make your raspberry port recipe in there.

plus it's citrus picking time.. have quite a few buckets on the doorstep.. grapefruit, mandarines and lemons. Going to make kiljoys grapefruit recipe.

Allie

For raspberries Im going with 18 lbs of berries but with the crab apples its 28 lbs for 6 gallons. This will be easy to get as Im early on looking this year and am way ahead of the game. Ill probably pick enough of those for 2 batches also but give the extar to a friend to ferment as he's only ever made extract beer kits and a few Mist style wine kits and is anxious to do a fruit wine. I bought him all the stuff to do a fruit wine including all the chems and 2 big fermenting bags. Funny thing is that he started making wine before me and actually encouraged me to start this endeavor so its pay back time. Ive been trying to get him to ferment something outside of the box like Tom says for quite some time but he's always used the "dont have the money for all that stuff: excuse. I also busted his chops to get him to pick some raspberries in the area where I am picking as I cant possibly pick them all but maybe all the scratches I come in with could have detered him from that! :) It looks like I bagged up about 10 pissed off cats and jumped in legs firts!

I picked 26 lbs today after work in this extremely warm weather and was drenched. I have enough for my 6 gallon batch and theres a ton more but thats it for me. I told my friend that he if he wants I will help him pick a batch of his own. He's never made anything but a few Mist kits even though hes the 1 that got me into wine making and Ive been pushing him this year. Ive so far gotten him to pick enough raspberries for a batch and Ill help him get that going this weekend. Now all I got to do is pick more blackberries and then start the Elderberries as Ive finally found a few bushes locally. I didnt get enough mullberries due to a wind storm sp will blend those in with a can of Vintners Harvest Marionberry wine base.

Got this 6 gallon batch started today and forgot how much work these dang things are. My back is killing me form destemming them all and breaking them open, why I didnt use my press I really dont know but next time I sure will and Ill use it when its time to press out the juice when its done or close to done fermenting. Time to take a chill pill so my spelling and such may get a little crazy tonight! :)

hehehe wade..

it's a lot more work than opening a box!

I've got 8 gallons of grapefruit wine so far.. and enough extra from the next door neighbour to do another 10 gallons. Luckily I have a pile of those plastic 2 and 3 gallon water bottles spare.

Allie

Latest posts

Back