Cowboy candy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished canning the annual batch of Cowboy Candy (candied jalapeños) - even with lots of ventilation, it is a 'powerful' event. Right up there with Kmeta fumes, although it sticks around longer in the house. And smells a lot better.

View attachment 93569
Recipe please! I have a lot of jalapeños and Serranos to get rid of and this sounds yummy

Unbelievably good on cream cheese as an appetizer, on hamburgers and on so many other things. This is my favorite recipe - a bit more kick and flavor than most of the others. One pint takes just under 1.25 pounds of peppers; the 3 pound recipe gives me 2 pints canned plus some in the refrigerator. Today's batch was 5.5 pounds of peppers (5 pints).

I am serious about the ventilation - you will think it is "not too bad" when you first start cooking the sauce and slicing peppers (food processor!). It gets worse. By the time the effort is complete, my dogs refuse to come back into the house. The first time I made it, I accused my son of trying to capitalize early on his inheritance (he gave me the recipe). That said, totally worth it and if you manage the ventilation, you will be well-rewarded.

Unbelievably good on cream cheese as an appetizer, on hamburgers and on so many other things. This is my favorite recipe - a bit more kick and flavor than most of the others. One pint takes just under 1.25 pounds of peppers; the 3 pound recipe gives me 2 pints canned plus some in the refrigerator. Today's batch was 5.5 pounds of peppers (5 pints).

I am serious about the ventilation - you will think it is "not too bad" when you first start cooking the sauce and slicing peppers (food processor!). It gets worse. By the time the effort is complete, my dogs refuse to come back into the house. The first time I made it, I accused my son of trying to capitalize early on his inheritance (he gave me the recipe). That said, totally worth it and if you manage the ventilation, you will be well-rewarded.
Thank you. I will be making these. Mixed with cream cheeses and some garlic and onion it would make an outstanding spread.

I once tried grinding/crushing some smoked and dried hot peppers in the Cuisinart. BIG mistake 🥵. Now I do it on the deck… with a breeze… wearing goggles. 😂

I once tried grinding/crushing some smoked and dried hot peppers in the Cuisinart.
My sister had a Mince-O-Matic (I think that was the name) plastic grinder that worked well for most vegetables. She lost hers when she tried grinding some type of hot pepper, and the plastic deformed.

Funny thing...of all the sharp tools I have, electric and manual, the ones that scare me the most are in the kitchen.
A few years back I took the skin off the end of a finger with a mandolin. We couldn't stop the bleeding! My wife had to pick up the stop-bleed stuff at a pharmacy -- which burns like a mother$&#*#$ when applied. But it worked.

Note -- I was not in any danger, but after 3 hours we couldn't stop the bleeding. Granted, it was going to take me a year to bleed to death, but it was annoying and somewhat frightening simply because it wouldn't stop. I'm extra cautious around the mandolin since then.

Mandolins are awesome tools, but incredibly efficient (dangerous). I've taken (fortunately very small) slivers off the end of a finger and didn't even notice until a few slices later when a little blood showed up. There's a reason most of them come w/ guards or 'holder thingies'.

most of them come w/ guards or 'holder thingies'.
You mean those things that end up in the back of the junk drawer. Yeah I have a few! 😂

It’s like table saw splitters. The first time you have to do a dado cut is the last time it’s ever on the machine. I have a shiner new one hanging on the wall of my shop that fits my well worn 20 year old table saw.

Recipe please! I have a lot of jalapeños and Serranos to get rid of and this sounds yummy
Do you pickle any, Chuck? That's my favourite way for nachos, sandwiches, burgers etc. Its a great way to sneak a little flavor bomb in there.

Cowboy candy is good,but she can light you right up!

PXL_20221004_162426562.jpg

I like to live dangerously. It’s how I roll.
I used to be a First Aider in the laboratories where I worked. They called me the Senior First Aider. I think that was because of my age rather than experience. 😀
We had a big bandsaw in the foundry for cutting up metal. One guy who worked with us was constantly being told, "Never wear gloves when using the saw." He was one of those " I know what I'm doing!' type. Anyway, one day he came running down the shop and stuck his hand under the tap. I had to struggle to let me take his glove off. He cut his second finger vertically, almost to the joint. Luckily he missed the bone. I bandaged him up, managed to stop the bleeding, and we took him up the hospital.
He was off work for over a month. Needless to say, he never did it again.
Stable door job.

Do you pickle any, Chuck? That's my favourite way for nachos, sandwiches, burgers etc. Its a great way to sneak a little flavor bomb in there.

Cowboy candy is good,but she can light you right up!

View attachment 93639

I haven’t but my neighbor pickles hot banana peppers stuffed with sour kraut. They are fantastic 😋. I need to make those.

I typically smoke all my leftover hot peppers at years end then dehydrate and grind… it makes the most wonderful chipotle seasoning.

I used to be a First Aider in the laboratories where I worked. They called me the Senior First Aider. I think that was because of my age rather than experience. 😀
We had a big bandsaw in the foundry for cutting up metal. One guy who worked with us was constantly being told, "Never wear gloves when using the saw." He was one of those " I know what I'm doing!' type. Anyway, one day he came running down the shop and stuck his hand under the tap. I had to struggle to let me take his glove off. He cut his second finger vertically, almost to the joint. Luckily he missed the bone. I bandaged him up, managed to stop the bleeding, and we took him up the hospital.
He was off work for over a month. Needless to say, he never did it again.
Stable door job.
I use power tools all the time and have so-far avoided serious injury. All of my most serious cuts have come from edge tools. I keep them scary sharp! The good thing about hand tools is that you can usually stop cutting before things become detached 😬

I haven’t but my neighbor pickles hot banana peppers stuffed with sour kraut. They are fantastic 😋. I need to make those.

I typically smoke all my leftover hot peppers at years end then dehydrate and grind… it makes the most wonderful chipotle seasoning.
Stuffed banana peppers sounds great. Does your neighbor stuff the sour kraut after pickling or before ?

Pickled, then stuffed with kraut then stood up in jars and the pickling brine is put back on them.
I LOVE pickled hot peppers with feta in them.

Homemade kraut is amazing. Home pickled peppers... Epic. Together? This could be my ruination, but I gotta try it.

I can already hear that old familiar tune! And it burns, burns, burns....The ring of fire...The ring of fire. 😂

Pickled, then stuffed with kraut then stood up in jars and the pickling brine is put back on them.
Speaking of pickled banana peppers - If you go ice fishing on the bay or lake, put a small piece of the pepper on your hook. It was a really slow day fishing until I had a meat sandwich with some hot banana peppers, thought the yellow/green pepper looked like a lure. Put it on the hook and all hell broke loose. The other 3 people looked at me as I was pulling up whitefish one after the other. Also caught a lawyer fish. 1665150630959.png

Latest posts

Back