Covering buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
I won't bore you with the ghastly details, but in my brief journey down this path, I've been less than thrilled with trying to cover my primary fermenters.
Even tying cloth over the buckets was a pain. A loose fitting standard lid still attracted critters who wanted a taste of my must.
Brain storm! Gamma lids! They make as tight, or loose a seal as you need. Just close them, and then back off enough to let gases escape, or you can even drill them to accept an air lock.
For those not familiar with them, here's a diagram of how they work on a 5-7 gallon bucket:

Gamma Lid.jpg

Thanks for that.. seems pretty straightforward..

I just drilled holes in the lids of my buckets and added an airlock..

Allie

Thanks for that.. seems pretty straightforward..

I just drilled holes in the lids of my buckets and added an airlock..

Allie
Even pounding down a standard lid isn't always air tight. Gamma lids are. An old "survivalist's" storage trick. And no curled back fingernails trying to take off the lid, if you don't have a lid lifter. ;)

I will stay with my Brewcraft 8 gallon primary fermenters Lids snap on and off easy and they come pre-drill for airlock. Only cost $12 at my my LBS

The Gamma lids average around $6.50 for the 3-part lid, but you'd have to drill your own hole. They're designed to be air tight, no spill, easy-off/on.

Latest posts

Back