covering a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine4Me

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon cherry wine [from Vintner wine base can] ready to go to Secondary Fermentation [its already overdo] I have a 5 gallon carboy to put it in but have not gotten the airlock to fit it yet!
Question? is there anything I can use to cover it till I can get a airlock?? Getting the airlock will not be for awhile!

Like CP said a balloon, if its still fermenting then you will want to poke a very tiny hole in it with a pin just to let the gqas out but nothing in. You could also stick a hose in the bung and out the other end in a glass of water.

Luc
I enjoyed reading about Christmas in your country.. I even c/p it to my niece to read!!!

As for the bag/rubber band you don't put a hole in it at all?

No I did not make a hole in it.

The hole is made in the balloon to let the CO2 out.
The rubber band which is put around the neck,
but not to firm, is used to let the CO2 escape.

Luc

I am trying the plastic bag/rubber band idea.. I put Welches frozen grape juice in it!
Wish me luck!!!! lol

Many years ago I used a prophylactic and boy was that an attention getter.

Sacalait

I will be truthful here; I had to look up what prophylactic was but then I laughed out loud.. I bet it was a real conversation piece!!!!! lol

hey gang, I have transfered my batch to the secondary. I couldnt afford am ailock for each jug. What I did was drill a hole in the cap , of each secondary container, made it tight for the hose and ran it(them) into a jug with sulphited water, the CO2 can come out, burp, and nothing can come back in. Was going to attach a picture but the camerab atteries died. That is essentially an airlock isn't it?

Latest posts

Back