Quantcast

Cotton Candy Wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Tyler Martin

Junior
Reaction score
Cotton Candy is made with a special type of sugar called flossing sugar. It is basically superfine sugar mixed with food coloring and artificial flavoring.

My question is, can I use this sugar in place of white sugar in a regular wine recipe? My only concern is the artificial flavor and food coloring may be poisonous to the yeast.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Hi Tyler - and welcome. Why don't you try it? You could make up a micro batch - say 1 quart and if it ferments (and IF it tastes acceptable - a BIG if) then make a larger batch. That said, fermenting sugar (even with flavoring) does not really promise to result in a pleasant wine. But you may like this...

Tyler Martin

Junior
Reaction score
I was planning on using a bottled grape juice and adding enough sugar to get SG to 1.090, then backsweeten as needed. Would that be ok? I may try a small batch, thanks for your help

BernardSmith

Reaction score
But then you are not really fermenting the cotton candy. You are fermenting grape juice with some additives.. no?

Tyler Martin

Junior
Reaction score
I understand what I'm fermenting using grape juice. I'm not sure how it would be considered "cotton candy wine" unless I did use some form of grape juice. Fermenting cotton candy sugar in water would taste like garbage.

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
What about if you used either a white grape or fruit base (peach, strawberry) and then use the cotton candy sugar to back sweeten - could give you what you are looking for.

Tyler Martin

Junior
Reaction score
What about if you used either a white grape or fruit base (peach, strawberry) and then use the cotton candy sugar to back sweeten - could give you what you are looking for.
I thought about this. How do you think dragons blood would taste backsweeten with cotton candy sugar?