Cotton Candy Grapes

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Yeasty Boy, Aug 29, 2018.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy SecFerm Supporting Member

Ok, this may be like Iron Chef with leftover grapes. My wife and I buy a couple bags every time we go to the store and find the Cotton Candy Grapes. They are delicious. When we neglect them for too long I de stem them, wash and freeze them to put in glasses of wine like ice cubes when we drink on the patio. They don't water down your wine! However I have found that we have a lot of frozen grapes we have forgotten about in the freezer.
    You think i can ferment them and back sweeten them with Cotton Candy?
    I may try a gallon and see what happens.
    Just seeing if anyone has ever fermented Cotton Candy Grapes.

2. cmason1957

cmason1957 Member Supporting Member

You will probably find that the table grapes are very low in both sugar and acid, compared to wine grapes. This question seems to get asked almost every year and nobody ever comes back to say that was the best thing they ever made.

3. Ajmassa5983

Ajmassa5983 Member Supporting Member

Buying enough to make wine would be damn expensive. They aren’t cheap!
    These were mentioned before In a post asking about cotton candy wine. I think the costs/availability didn’t allow the option tho. - but since u already have em go for it!
    Backsweetening with cotton candy is risky tho. Lots of other junk in it that can have a negative impact. Gotta find one suitable for wine.

4. Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy SecFerm Supporting Member

I figured I would treat it like a fruit wine. Mash up the grapes and add 2 pounds of sugar. Probably right on the cotton candy backsweeten... too much other junk in it.

Noontime likes this.
  5. Noontime

Noontime Custom Label Printing & Design Supporting Member

I'd be really interested to know how a gallon comes out. Like you said, treat it like a fruit wine and see what you get. Fermentation is transformative, and you just never know what flavors are going to stick around and what is going to get changed into something else (good or bad).

Yeasty Boy likes this.