Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This does look like a port in this storm, given the need to do extensive tests on any new drug before it can be used to treat anyone who may not be at death's door (and even then there are legitimate reasons not to prescribe such drugs). Hydroxychloroquine has a longish history as a drug to treat malaria, so it is simply being used off-label.

looking
at the projected curve for the virus
it is very well known to me
we have watched it many times
from outside, , the glass carboy

looking
at the growth curve for yeast innoculum
5 grams, , exponential, , plateau, , toss the lees
it feels so strange waiting, , in the carboy
looking, , out the glass window

Last edited:
looking
at the projected curve for the virus
it is very well known to me
we have watched it many times
from outside, , the glass carboy

looking
at the growth curve for yeast innoculum
none, , exponential, , plateau, , senescence
it feels so strange waiting, , in the carboy
looking, , out the glass window

That is beautiful, horrible, incisive, moving, and poignant, all at the same time.

So, I work in restaurants repairing equipment so my job is pretty much done for now...my boss is letting me run some training classes for the rest of the staff but I now have an abundance of free time, which allowed me to make alot of progress on my latest project....
Here's the link to the video, to large to upload

Dear god. This is a work of art! you should be on Shark Tank with it.

Nice Joe. It’s here in Burlington county so better safe than sorry. I forgot to take off my boots at the door after getting home from work.

I almost started WWIII!

*Edit
Here’s a list for NJ with county breakdown updated 30min ago. After the showdown news conference.

New Jersey COVID-19 cases swell to 1,914, including 21 deaths

Also— I’m a bit annoyed that NY and NJ are allowing construction work but PA is not. Working on getting proper credentials to continue working if PA allows exceptions.

I can’t just stay home. I can’t sit still. Higher probability wife kills me than the Rona. Home Depot is open. And I’m gonna run out of money renovating everything eventually!

i live very rural but yesterday it was confirmed within 6 miles of me, since only few tested in arkansas they only know about 218 here so far, stay safe all,
Dawg

QUESTION, on this virus thing, they were saying 3 or 4 days on cardboard, then today i heard that the virus lasted 17 days on cruise ship cabins,,, i got my wine press in finally, some say bleach water will kill it, others say no, i hit every single definition of it being deadly for me, i know some of yawl are heavy on the grey matter, i really don't want to wait a long time, but will if need be to be safe, i do know i ordered back before things got real bad, but it took awhile for them to ship, and it was in a box inside another box, so i'm fairly sure it was in the inside factory box pre virus,maybe? so any safe way to make sure it is safe, a mistake for me could be very easily be all she rolled... from reading post over the years i know there are several that understand membranes rupturing ,AKA. destroying a virus, so on so forth, so i am asking for knowledge based thoughts, i also am stating whether or not i take any advice i knowingly do so solely of my own accord... so i am responsible for my decisions regardless of any and all advice,,,
so anything goes wrong i am solely responsible for what i decide Period,, ??????????????????????//
Dawg

QUESTION, on this virus thing, they were saying 3 or 4 days on cardboard, then today i heard that the virus lasted 17 days on cruise ship cabins,,,

You are not to be blamed for this error. This was VASTLY mispresented.

The study found traces of RNA 17 days later. Not the virus. Not something that could hurt you. Not something you could get the disease from.

A bit of a strained analogy, but it is (a bit) like saying that you came across the skeleton of a mass murderer, and you could still tell the identity of the mass murderer from his skeleton 17 years later! (gasp!)

A random bit of good reporting: Coronavirus RNA detected on cruise ship 17 days after passengers left: CDC report

pieces of viral RNA can remain on surfaces for extended periods of time, but “this does not reflect infectious virus.”

“As we know, the longest a coronavirus can last on a surface is nine days in a laboratory — you can’t get it to last longer than that,” he said. “So this identification does not have any impact on transmission on the risk for humans, it just simply means that at one time or another, the virus happened to be on their ship.”

You are not to be blamed for this error. This was VASTLY mispresented.

The study found traces of RNA 17 days later. Not the virus. Not something that could hurt you. Not something you could get the disease from.

A bit of a strained analogy, but it is (a bit) like saying that you came across the skeleton of a mass murderer, and you could still tell the identity of the mass murderer from his skeleton 17 years later! (gasp!)

A random bit of good reporting: Coronavirus RNA detected on cruise ship 17 days after passengers left: CDC report
thank you for this information, this is very helpful , on the news i get told different contradictions every they speak,,,, since i hit all of the criteria , so all my mail is left out side for a week, then opened with exam gloves,
again thank you for this information,
Dawg

Ozone generator? Again works on hard to clean objects.
I was hoping to find any info I could on this. I have an Ozone Generator, but wonder how to actually get the Ozone "inside" my bottles. Probably not a viable disinfecting routine, so I'll just stick with my Kmeta rinses.
THOUGH, as slippery as StarSan is, it sounds like an even better option if our concern is to also rid any Covid-19 contamination.

I have a new normal for mail and delivered packages. All mail gets opened up outside. Junk mail goes right into the recycle bin. Anything that needs opening which is not much these days as all bills are paid online but if something requires an actual look inside and then if it by chance anything needs to be saved only the important part gets brought inside and then set off in a box in another room away from the kitchen/dining room area for a few days. Any packages get opened outside and all boxes and materials get tossed immediately into the recycle bins. Only the actual item gets brought inside and again set aside for a few days. Never brought into the kitchen or dining area. I use a clorox wipe on things like my hands and any openers before coming back inside. Once inside I wash hands per the recommendation with a foamy hand soap. Its not TP we are going through. It's paper towels! Seems like I wash them once an hour. My hands are now getting dry and cracked from being stripped of all oils each day all day. We have plenty of lotion on hand since we live in the desert. Like tons of the stuff as Mrs IB is always using it most every day long before the pandemic.

Stay safe people!

one of the messages on the web is that drying the virus kills it, it lasts less time on paper because it drys out
thank you Rice_Guy, i try to be extra cautious because i'm a prime candidate for the worse end of it, bef a virus, sides, i got a bottle or two i'd sure like to know how they have matured, i hear cold seems to be a good killer of a virus as well, but as with ever thing else the more knowledge the better, and i value your input very much,
Dawg

I have a new normal for mail and delivered packages. All mail gets opened up outside. Junk mail goes right into the recycle bin. Anything that needs opening which is not much these days as all bills are paid online but if something requires an actual look inside and then if it by chance anything needs to be saved only the important part gets brought inside and then set off in a box in another room away from the kitchen/dining room area for a few days. Any packages get opened outside and all boxes and materials get tossed immediately into the recycle bins. Only the actual item gets brought inside and again set aside for a few days. Never brought into the kitchen or dining area. I use a clorox wipe on things like my hands and any openers before coming b, ack inside. Once inside I wash hands per the recommendatiomask, n with a foamy hand soap. Its not TP we are going through. It's paper towels! Seems like I wash them once an hour. My hands are boot how getting dry and cracked from being stripped of all oils each day ight on the spooky side of things day. We have plenty of lotion on hand since we live in the desert. Like tons of the stuff as Mrs IB is always using it most every day long before the pandemic.

Stay safe people!

corn huskers lotion is one of the bet things to keep your hands from drying and cracking, it seems to me that cracked skin could become an entrance point, i get corn huskers lotion at walmarts, if going there i go at odd hours and wearing examine gloves and faces mask, but it is coming about 5 weeks since i self quarantine myself , i live rural north east arkansas, up in the instep of the missouri boot hill, yesterday they handed out official travel papers is the necessary workers, in a very rural area that is just a mighty spooky thing it seems to me,
Dawg

When work has required lots of exposure to soaps/ sanitizers the best solution to cracks in the hands has been liquid bandage.
. . I use a clorox wipe on things like my hands and any openers before coming back inside. Once inside I wash hands per the recommendation with a foamy hand soap. . . . My hands are now getting dry and cracked from being stripped of all oils each day all day. We have plenty of lotion
Wine is a sanitizer all by itself
I can see bagging/ treating with ozone, a bottle the neighbor brought over if I had to drink it today, but 3days time should work as well. I am not adding extra inside the bottle treatments, just the normal maintain SO2 and rinse bottles with meta. , , , , free SO2 is an extremely harsh chemical
I have an Ozone Generator, but wonder how to actually get the Ozone "inside" my bottles. Probably not a viable disinfecting routine, so I'll just stick with my Kmeta rinses.

Last edited:
This virus can only enter through your nose or mouth. It has to make it's way into your lungs in order to cause any damage.
yep, your more then likely right, but they have changed their points of view so many times, that i have lost faith in everything they have to say,,, one day they say they have their first mammal to mammal,,, human to dog, then they say the dog died, ,, then a couple days later they say no dog has gotten it, nore has any dog died of that, i understand it is new and a moving target,, i just wish they'd be a little bit more credible ,then doctors hint at months some sat weeks or months, or even years,,, not to mention there has already on a very small scale, been a few punks trying to rob elders for their foods or money,, crazy, ole world
Dawg

Latest posts

Back