Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is kind of interesting, WeatherUnderground has added a map showing confirmed cases of the Virus by counties. I fully understand that the confirmed numbers do not represent an accurate count of actual cases but I do have a feeling they can give a sense of how areas compare to each other so far. We're pretty quiet so far and everyone we've talked with seems to be stay home as much as possible.
Confirmed Cases.jpg
Mike

yep, your more then likely right, but they have changed their points of view so many times, that i have lost faith in everything they have to say,,, one day they say they have their first mammal to mammal,,, human to dog, then they say the dog died, ,, then a couple days later they say no dog has gotten it, nore has any dog died of that, i understand it is new and a moving target,, i just wish they'd be a little bit more credible ,then doctors hint at months some sat weeks or months, or even years,,, not to mention there has already on a very small scale, been a few punks trying to rob elders for their foods or money,, crazy, ole world
Dawg

But who "they" - people routinely self publish nonsense on the internet. The only reliable sources of information at this time are CDC, WHO, and depending on where you live your state's health office. No other source is authoritative. No other source. None. No exceptions. And the CDC , WHO and state's boards of health are learning more about this novel (new) virus hour by hour. Political sources are precisely that and individual family doctors know a fraction more about this virus than you do. But the science is with CDC, WHO and your own state's health authority and what they state is reliable and the best knowledge we have at this moment.

* this is thing fits in the family called corona virus. We can see it with the electron microscope pictures that pop up on TV, , and have an idea what to expect. This is not the first corona virus people have studied.
* normally an organism which causes disease in other species will not infect people. example we have little risk from kissing the dog or vice versa. Normally there is significant genetic evolution for an infection to jump species, when an organism does jump species it usually goes along with a large number of individuals in close contact, , example a flock of chickens and the farmer live close to each other.
yes we have examples as toxoplasmosis in cats will infect people
* we humans are creating the situation where populations of a small number of species are in contact with people. 17 species provide about 78% of the food that we humans eat. The risk of this happening will increase. We humans are creating cities which pull resources from across the globe, , the risk will increase as our population increases
* I too am frustrated with the number of stories on the internet, I wish there was a mechanism where anyone who posted false stories could be held criminally liable, , false info is hurting the US. As a start putting limits on the ability to push a button and republish seems wise. , , , if one had to retype it they would have to think first. , , , Another way could be “think about it for a day” if you still believe the story than you can forward it to your friends.
* the news papers and major TV networks seem to give better information than the web. The old fashion peer review science papers which give references that relate to their story seem best, , but very slow.
yep, your more then likely right, but they have changed their points of view so many times, that i have lost faith in everything they have to say,,, one day they say they have their first mammal to mammal,,, human to dog, then they say the dog died, ,, then a couple days later they say no dog has gotten it, nore has any dog died of that, i understand it is new and a moving target,, i just wish they'd be a little bit more credible ,then doctors hint at months some sat weeks or months, or even years,,, not to mention there has already on a very small scale, been a few punks trying to rob elders for their foods or money,, crazy, ole world
Dawg

QUESTION, on this virus thing, they were saying 3 or 4 days on cardboard, then today i heard that the virus lasted 17 days on cruise ship cabins,,, i got my wine press in finally, some say bleach water will kill it, others say no, i hit every single definition of it being deadly for me, i know some of yawl are heavy on the grey matter, i really don't want to wait a long time, but will if need be to be safe, i do know i ordered back before things got real bad, but it took awhile for them to ship, and it was in a box inside another box, so i'm fairly sure it was in the inside factory box pre virus,maybe? so any safe way to make sure it is safe, a mistake for me could be very easily be all she rolled... from reading post over the years i know there are several that understand membranes rupturing ,AKA. destroying a virus, so on so forth, so i am asking for knowledge based thoughts, i also am stating whether or not i take any advice i knowingly do so solely of my own accord... so i am responsible for my decisions regardless of any and all advice,,,
so anything goes wrong i am solely responsible for what i decide Period,, ??????????????????????//
Dawg
I assume everything is contaminated and needs to be disinfected. If I receive a shipment I use work treated gloves to bring it to a disinfected area that I use as my decontamination chamber. I wipe the bottom of box before sitting product down, Then I wipe all sides of box, and start peeling away, continuing disinfecting everything., the caps, everything. I discard what I can immediately into the outside trash. I then let contents sit for at least one day. Next day repeat and wipe everything down again. I then let things sit one more day. I am careful to continuously disinfect hands and gloves in the process, Any gloves, jackets, coveralls, used to come in contact with contaminants remain outside. Keeping the decontamination chamber virus and germ-free is key.

* this is thing fits in the family called corona virus. We can see it with the electron microscope pictures that pop up on TV, , and have an idea what to expect. This is not the first corona virus people have studied.
* normally an organism which causes disease in other species will not infect people. example we have little risk from kissing the dog or vice versa. Normally there is significant genetic evolution for an infection to jump species, when an organism does jump species it usually goes along with a large number of individuals in close contact, , example a flock of chickens and the farmer live close to each other.
yes we have examples as toxoplasmosis in cats will infect people
* we humans are creating the situation where populations of a small number of species are in contact with people. 17 species provide about 78% of the food that we hum ans eat. The risk of this happening will increase. We humans are creating cities which pull resources from across the globe, , the risk will increase as our population increases
* I too am frustrated with the number of stories on the internet, I wish there was a mechanism where anyone who posted false stories could be held criminally liable, , false info is hurting the US. As a start putting limits on the ability to push a button and republish seems wise. , , , if one had to retype it they would have to think first. , , , Another way could be “think about it for a day” if you still believe the story than you can forward it to your friends.
* the news papers and major TV networks seem to give better information than the web. The old fashion peer review science papers which give references that relate to their story seem best, , but very slow.
at first on the news there was far more miss information, as for the original coronavirus had nowhere near as contagess as this covid19, like ebola the natural strain was nowhere as contaguesse as what we have now, not to mention what does the number 19 stand for h the batch being tried now?, and another thing the different news media each have there own spin,all aside, i too disinfect mail , tell people i am not accepting company,

A lot of projects on hold, Fred? I imagine permitting has gotten more challenging at the least.

Just minutes ago we finally received our last approval for the winery. Pre-con is scheduled for Monday. I now have 2 months to get the building to the point where they have refrigerated storage for their cases which are being made offsite at this time. The Production Facility has to be totally operational by August, wish me luck.

This came from the Facebook Home Winemaking page. I sure hope my grapes are on the water already.

Today the South African wine industry was dealt a shattering blow. With wine deemed a non-essential item during #21daysLockDownSA, hundreds of wineries are left stranded in the middle of harvest, with thousands of tons of grapes still on the vine. As a non-essential item, producers are not permitted to finish picking or perform any cellar work (as in, winemaking) during lockdown.
While Springfield has fortunately finished harvesting and with most of our fermentation finished, we are distraught thinking of our fellow producers whose very livelihood will be left to rot on on the vine.
Further to that, wine (and all alcohol) is not permitted to be sold or transported during lockdown, which means that at this point we are unable to export to countries that are still able to sell alcohol - which was a small comfort for us during this time.
While #VinPro is lobbying for an industry that contributes around R36,1 billion to the GDP annually, we are calling on you, our fellow wine lovers, to do your part for an industry that might not be around when we all get out of this.
Please, support your favourite wineries. Order wine online even though you will only receive it after lockdown. Every time you find yourself wishing you had a glass of wine right now, add a bottle to your cart. Make sure that the wineries you love, are still able to make the wine you love after all of this is over.
More than anything, please do your part to make this lockdown go as smoothly and as quickly as possible. Stay at home. Stay safe.

This came from the Facebook Home Winemaking page. I sure hope my grapes are on the water already.

Today the South African wine industry was dealt a shattering blow. With wine deemed a non-essential item during #21daysLockDownSA, hundreds of wineries are left stranded in the middle of harvest, with thousands of tons of grapes still on the vine. As a non-essential item, producers are not permitted to finish picking or perform any cellar work (as in, winemaking) during lockdown.
While Springfield has fortunately finished harvesting and with most of our fermentation finished, we are distraught thinking of our fellow producers whose very livelihood will be left to rot on on the vine.
Further to that, wine (and all alcohol) is not permitted to be sold or transported during lockdown, which means that at this point we are unable to export to countries that are still able to sell alcohol - which was a small comfort for us during this time.
While #VinPro is lobbying for an industry that contributes around R36,1 billion to the GDP annually, we are calling on you, our fellow wine lovers, to do your part for an industry that might not be around when we all get out of this.
Please, support your favourite wineries. Order wine online even though you will only receive it after lockdown. Every time you find yourself wishing you had a glass of wine right now, add a bottle to your cart. Make sure that the wineries you love, are still able to make the wine you love after all of this is over.
More than anything, please do your part to make this lockdown go as smoothly and as quickly as possible. Stay at home. Stay safe.

Wow. That is an enormous blow. Frankly, I'm a little shocked they would do this.

But who "they" - people routinely self publish nonsense on the internet. The only reliable sources of information at this time are CDC, WHO, and depending on where you live your state's health office. No other source is authoritative. No other source. None. No exceptions. And the CDC , WHO and state's boards of health are learning more about this novel (new) virus hour by hour. Political sources are precisely that and individual family doctors know a fraction more about this virus than you do. But the science is with CDC, WHO and your own state's health authority and what they state is reliable and the best knowledge we have at this moment.
the CDC & WHO are the they that have changed as this virus is a moving target, but just the same, i'm locked down . and staying away from everybody, mail is my only variable, one the very first day that new virus was named-brought to attention, i went put back a 5 to 6 month supplies, so living very rural i put back long term feed for my chickens, got winter hay, so i now leave this thread, prepare for the worst, hope and pray for the best, i am bailing out of this thread, getting to contenchence , will just try to sanitize best i can, , not let visitors around, LATER ALL, BE SAFE,,,,

In this state, today Thursday, testing has a two week back log. The FDA approved test is a research grade method which can de done by two state labs (600/day) and a few contract (pay) labs. . . . . If Arizona has transportation from the rest of the country it is en route. One guess is that the virus survives longer with humidity, , ie up north where we have springtime showers, , , and it will slow later in the year. We are too early in this to have scientific data , , guesses based on earlier viruses.

Singapore has been scanning folks as they walk as the first level screening/ isolating cases and their numbers seem to be developing slower. We need faster numbers!
This is kind of interesting, WeatherUnderground has added a map showing confirmed cases of the Virus by counties. I fully understand that the confirmed numbers do not represent an accurate count of actual cases but I do have a feeling they can give a sense of how areas compare to each other so far. We're pretty quiet so far and everyone we've talked with seems to be stay home as much as possible.

didn't they say something about you eye's too,
Dawg

Yes, this is why you see health care workers with protective eye gear. Your tear ducts connect to your nasal cavity. So, touching your eyes, or somehow having the virus coming in to contact with the eye membrane, can allow the virus to travel into your nasal passages, and it's off to the races.

Normally there is significant genetic evolution for an infection to jump species, when an organism does jump species it usually goes along with a large number of individuals in close contact, , example a flock of chickens and the farmer live close to each other.
In the past I've read that part of the problem in China is the agricultural methods. People have their pigs, chicken, and other live stock, upstream of their rice paddies. When it rains the 'crap' is washed down into the paddies as fertilizer. Swine flu? Avian flu? Their is a difference in using this stuff raw and composting in a pile where the temperature rises enough to start killing off some of the pathogens. True or not I don't know. Just something I've read and it stuck with me.

This just in. K-12 has moved to online learning as much as possible for the rest of the school year. Not sure what is happening in the rural areas and the 4 corners region with limited access to the internet and tablets etc.

1585334610958.png

Yes, this is why you see health care workers with protective eye gear. Your tear ducts connect to your nasal cavity. So, touching your eyes, or somehow having the virus coming in to contact with the eye membrane, can allow the virus to travel into your nasal passages, and it's off to the races.
the cdc have guidelines for your footwear being remover before entering your house, they have admitted to still stabbing in the dark, this is very different the the regular coronus , although they took it down almost immediately, there was mention of traces of gene splicing, every one is free to do as the see fit, but i got as much faith in the WHO an CDC as i do for other greedy factions ,,, may god bless us all...

Back