Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I went on a service call for one of my customers, A funeral home in South Jersey .
Last night they received their first virus customer ,they were not prepare for this eventually but were told to let the body sit for 72 hrs.before prep.( Cold storage).
Times they be achaingen,we installed 8 uv Ray air cleaners , that's at least helpful ,will go back and disenfect the evaporator coils.
I was also told by my sister in law who's a RN to wash my clothes upon returning to home.im not sure any of this Will help.

Nice Joe. It’s here in Burlington county so better safe than sorry. I forgot to take off my boots at the door after getting home from work.

I almost started WWIII!

*Edit
Here’s a list for NJ with county breakdown updated 30min ago. After the showdown news conference.

https://www.fox29.com/news/new-jersey-covid-19-cases-swell-to-1327-including-16-deaths

Also— I’m a bit annoyed that NY and NJ are allowing construction work but PA is not. Working on getting proper credentials to continue working if PA allows exceptions.

I can’t just stay home. I can’t sit still. Higher probability wife kills me than the Rona. Home Depot is open. And I’m gonna run out of money renovating everything eventually!

Last edited:
Perhaps a timely reminder that WMT is and has always been a "politics free" forum. During this crisis lets especially make sure we leave politics out of all of our replies and discussion.

Thanks.

So, I work in restaurants repairing equipment so my job is pretty much done for now...my boss is letting me run some training classes for the rest of the staff but I now have an abundance of free time, which allowed me to make alot of progress on my latest project....
Here's the link to the video, to large to upload

I don't post much, and I stay home a lot anyways, doing many things, but the weather has been cold/rainy to do much outdoors. I came across a store selling bananas $13 for 40 pounds. Yep, with just 2 bottles left of really good banana wine, I'm starting another batch - despite my rule "I'm not starting any more until all these are bottled". I won't have to wait long for the bananas to be perfectly ready, as you would guess for the price. Has anyone tried bananas with honey instead of sugar? I have a gallon crystalizing I could use...

Sounds like a good combo. Kind of a banana mead.
I had just begun a couple design projects for some California companies but no word back on preliminary proof on either last week so I’m assuming the shut down has put them on hold. My wife was also in the beginning stages of buying the components to assemble a large mailer we do annually for Maxon Liftgates and they’ve put that on hold. She sells them the majority of there marketing and ad specialties products that they give away at trade shows. It’s going to get very quiet very quickly for us.
Mike

There was a post on our local Facebook page (so don't know how reliable but...) They recommend sanitizing everything that comes in the house from a store or mailbox or amazon. The news stated that it stays on cardboard for 24 hours. Who knows how long on the grocery store conveyor belts or how diligent the person is about sanitizing that is putting stock on the shelves or the person in the grocery store touching the fresh fruits & veggies. This seemed extreme but it is crazy days....

Many Americans seem to be following the recommendations of public health officials to clean and sterilize countertops, doorknobs, faucets and other frequently touched surfaces in their homes.

The problem? Many are then tossing the disinfectant wipes, paper towels and other paper products they used into the toilet.

The result has been a coast-to-coast surge in backed-up sewer lines and overflowing toilets, according to plumbers and public officials, who have pleaded with Americans to spare the nation’s pipes from further strain.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...ng-with-the-coronavirus-are-clogging-toilets/

Many Americans seem to be following the recommendations of public health officials to clean and sterilize countertops, doorknobs, faucets and other frequently touched surfaces in their homes.

The problem? Many are then tossing the disinfectant wipes, paper towels and other paper products they used into the toilet.

The result has been a coast-to-coast surge in backed-up sewer lines and overflowing toilets, according to plumbers and public officials, who have pleaded with Americans to spare the nation’s pipes from further strain.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...ng-with-the-coronavirus-are-clogging-toilets/

PSA: "Flushable" does not literally mean "Flushable".

I wouldn’t have considered that. We’re on septic so we wouldn’t anyway but that’s a very good “share” thanks
Mike

On a septic,make sure it's biodegradable,Scott tissues are that for sure.

everything I know from micro/fungal control in food systems says that we slow the natural death rate by refrigeration! I would not trust 72 hours.

I would seriously suggest spray down with a chemical agent before cooling. Italy has started cremation in this event.
Today I went on a service call for one of my customers, A funeral home in South Jersey .
Last night they received their first virus customer ,they were not prepare for this eventually but were told to let the body sit for 72 hrs.before prep.( Cold storage).
Times they be achaingen,we installed 8 uv Ray air cleaners , that's at least helpful ,will go back and disenfect the evaporator coils.
I was also told by my sister in law who's a RN to wash my clothes upon returning to home.im not sure any of this Will help.
UV is worth looking at, many hard to clean objects get it.
Ozone generator? Again works on hard to clean objects.
Washing in cold removes micro count, hot water is better and soap better yet. We have another layer today by running hot clothes driers, could also argue for exposure to sun on the clothes line.

Stay healthy

Last edited:
My family and I were in South America on vacation for March, but we had to rush home yesterday before our connecting airport closed totally.
So now in 2 week quarantine at home. I was already working remotely while on vacation and will continue now from home. My work has told everyone to work from home where possible anyway.

I'll get some projects done around the house as well. Will have time to do a refining of all my 2019 wines.

Monday, I am waiting for the shoe to drop. It isn’t bad since the network has not mentioned any cousin names and the state hasn’t locked down yet. Wife and I will walk this am.
My brother clarified the 90 YO in the news was in a Grafton memory care unit. This is a locked facility so someone who thought they were healthy carried it in roughly six days ago, Tuesday. , , , Statistically that carrier should have 100 to 150 close contacts, don’t like the math of this if I assume 24 hour incubation then shedding virus starts.
Mean while the 19 YO nephew is still partying at night and daughter #1 says the hospital is OK but projecting the day they run out of items.

@Ajmassa your link from Saturday to foxTV says about 2000 identified in NJ, from an epidemiological point of view this is the week where things get interesting.

A flash of potential good news from the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic: A treatment is showing promise. Doctors in France, South Korea and the U.S. are using an antimalarial drug known as hydroxychloroquine with success. We are physicians treating patients with Covid-19, and the therapy appears to be making a difference. It isn’t a silver bullet, but if deployed quickly and strategically the drug could potentially help bend the pandemic’s “hockey stick” curve.......

On March 9 a team of researchers in China published results showing hydroxychloroquine was effective against the 2019 coronavirus in a test tube. The authors suggested a five-day, 12-pill treatment for Covid-19: two 200-milligram tablets twice a day on the first day followed by one tablet twice a day for four more days.

A more recent French study used the drug in combination with azithromycin. Most Americans know azithromycin as the brand name Zithromax Z-Pak, prescribed for upper respiratory infections. The Z-Pak alone doesn’t appear to help fight Covid-19, and the findings of combination treatment are preliminary.

But researchers in France treated a small number of patients with both hydroxychloroquine and a Z-Pak, and 100% of them were cured by day six of treatment. Compare that with 57.1% of patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone, and 12.5% of patients who received neither.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/these-...virus-patients-11584899438?mod=trending_now_3

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32150618?mod=article_inline

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-2-69?

https://www.mediterranee-infection....as-a-treatment-of-covid-19/mod=article_inline

Latest posts

Back