Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, besides making wine, my main hobby is playing music with friends. For the last year, we have still been playing - but outdoors and distanced. Over the winter, we have played less but any time we see a upper 50s or lower 60s in the forecast, and no rain, we light a fire pit and play and sing away.

We are all over 65 so now that we have all been vaccinated and waited a couple weeks for full efficacy, we are having our 1st indoor party at our house in over a year. 13 close friends, unmasked and hugging, sharing food and drink. Hopefully, some new vaccine resistant variant won't come along and curtail our new found freedom. But for now, it is such a relief.

Congratulations! How was your reaction compared to your first injection? Lori and I are getting our first this afternoon, finally.

So, my reaction was pretty mild to both shots. I have a fairly sore arm, and I slept pretty deeply/soundly, but that is all. My wife fared a bit worse: slight fever, malaise, and a bit of fatigue so far. I had a video meeting with a coworker this morning, and he came 1/2 hour late. He had his second yesterday, too, and, in his words, he "had to explore the couch a lot this morning." :)

I hope you and Lori fare well!

Thanks Paul, your explanation mirrors almost exactly that of a friend I talked with yesterday. He even said the same about the comparison of his verses his wife's reaction but the general feeling of no real big deal. I think we'll just plan for a lazy afternoon and night after the second and line up a couple of good movies with popcorn and blankets. We're off to get Coronated!

Thanks Paul, your explanation mirrors almost exactly that of a friend I talked with yesterday. He even said the same about the comparison of his verses his wife's reaction but the general feeling of no real big deal. I think we'll just plan for a lazy afternoon and night after the second and line up a couple of good movies with popcorn and blankets. We're off to get Coronated!

Yes, good idea. Except for the aforementioned zoom meeting (whose timing was predetermined), I have taken the day off, or at least, made any work optional.

The reaction spectrum is odd. My husband had a slight reaction to both doses of the Pfizer but they were delayed by 3 days each time. Shot on Tuesday, did heavy farm work - cutting trees and hauling brush that afternoon; Friday night, fatigue, body aches.

Youngest son had one Moderna. Sore arm, woke up in a sweat several times that night. Daughter had J&J and had chills, aches, had to miss work the next day.

I had the first Pfizer on a Tuesday; same tree work - no reaction not really a sore arm. I could tell on Wednesday night that the muscle ached a bit but nothing else. Next dose on the 30th. We'll see.

I got a tetanus booster today. Does that count for anything? 😂 On the 'interesting' side, my Dr told me he expects that I'd be able to get the vaccine within the next month or so, based on what he's hearing. I'm in the "you're last in line" group, so that was welcome news, though I didn't press for more deets.

I got a tetanus booster today. Does that count for anything? 😂 On the 'interesting' side, my Dr told me he expects that I'd be able to get the vaccine within the next month or so, based on what he's hearing. I'm in the "you're last in line" group, so that was welcome news, though I didn't press for more deets.
Jim, Start looking around. Some health districts are posting the extra slots. People that are working the clinics are sending out texts that they have extra slots and all are free to come. Ask around and you may fined someone who works in a pharmacy or clinic that will give you a call when they have slots. My son and daughter in law in NC are lined up for a FEMA clinic this weekend and they are the last in line there. I'm sure you will get one soon. After this weekend, all my kids will have at least one shot.

Jim, Start looking around. Some health districts are posting the extra slots. People that are working the clinics are sending out texts that they have extra slots and all are free to come. Ask around and you may fined someone who works in a pharmacy or clinic that will give you a call when they have slots. My son and daughter in law in NC are lined up for a FEMA clinic this weekend and they are the last in line there. I'm sure you will get one soon. After this weekend, all my kids will have at least one shot.

Although I think you are supposed to wait 2 weeks between any vaccines, even ones for different diseases.

Everyone in my company that wanted the vaccine got it several weeks ago. We assembled a list of our folks, with cell phone numbers, and went to our local CVS, Walgreens, and a hospital, and put them in line for unclaimed vaccine. When folks didn't show up for the vaccine, the leftovers were distributed at the end of the day, they called our folks, they hopped in their cars and drove right over and were vaccinated. Worked pretty well for us. Here in Louisiana, we'll be open to all citizens over 16 starting on Monday.

I tested positive a few days ago so I'm pretty much locked in my music room. I have been writing quite a bit, but it gets a bit tiring after awhile so Netflix and Hulu are a good escape! There's nothing like finding some obscure documentary about something like the history of Roman plumbing practices at 3AM 🤣

I tested positive a few days ago so I'm pretty much locked in my music room. I have been writing quite a bit, but it gets a bit tiring after awhile so Netflix and Hulu are a good escape! There's nothing like finding some obscure documentary about something like the history of Roman plumbing practices at 3AM 🤣

Sorry to hear that, Skyfire! Good luck on the convalescence!

Hopefully, your symptoms are minimal and your recovery quick.

Got our first shots and reactions or lack of reactions pretty much exactly as most have reported. I was pleasantly surprised that the injection itself was painless. I put my thumb on the back of the nurses hand and told her "great shot, it felt just like you pressed your thumb lightly against my shoulder" she laughed and said "that's because that's what I did, but, in the morning, it's going to feel like I punched your shoulder with a whole bunch of thumbs!" She was right about that but really pretty minor.

As a separate thought, wouldn't it be great to see the percentages of Vaccinated vs. Un-vaccinated when they release the total new cases of Covid every day. You'd think after a while of 1,000 new cases reported, 999 un-vaccinated, 1 vaccinated person, more people would start "getting it".

Back