Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a notice from the Vineyard Association that as a grower, I and my workers are eligible in phase 1b. I sent the email in but like Jim's mother-in-law, I got a "thank you, don't call us..." reply.

Same response here in New Jersey I got online to go nowhere no phone calls returned no nothing imagine that what happened to all the millions of serums that were supposed to be out there ? And I fit into the critical profile.
It must be a state thing. All the over 65s in my small town have gotten round 1. Across the line in Florida you make reservations and it takes a week to get in for over 65s at the medical centers and a couple big parking lots around town.. Also a lot of places doing walk ups over 65s... monday, jan. and feb. birthdays,...tuesday its march and april birthdays etc...
Now all the local Publix supermarkets are starting to give the shots.... just a matter of time, hang in there.

I envy you ,,,,, and I am counting the days
It must be a state thing. All the over 65s in my small town have gotten round 1. Across the line in Florida you make reservations and it takes a week to get in for over 65s . . . . just a matter of time, hang in there.

well let’s count ,,, if the 38 YO daughter tested positive Thursday
and the wife’s clan came for football playoffs Saturday (which had food/ drinks),,, that is five days
and if she was symptomatic enough to take the test that would have probably been Tuesday so that makes three days from football
and the incubation for most viruses is two to three days so, possibly one day, possibly zero days from football
- -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
distribution is interesting since three times this week the clinic has said they don’t have any vaccine in the building or just wait ”My Chart” will notify you when it is your time, however the wife got round one at this clinic with a magic phone number from the school superintendent
well let’s count, if the age cut off drops to 65 on Monday and if the state adds another 700,000 eligible to get a vaccine multiplied by maybe 75,000 doses shipped per week, , , , how many weeks?

Last edited:
Wow, can't imagine living near 700,000 people. Much less 700,000 eligible ( over 65 + healthcare and pre existing types). I can see where enough vaccine for everyone could be a problem. You might want to tell your family members to not visit for football games etc. till you can feel more safe. That distancing stuff may be your best bet. Good luck, hope you and yours stay well.

. You might want to tell your family members to not visit for football games etc. . . That distancing stuff may be your best bet.
a part of the story is missing, the wife, brother in laws, sister in law, kids, her dad really really really love Packers for long enough to , , , ,
well marriage is work ,,,, however I wonder about opening the windows and turning the vent fans on for the next play off this weekend

a part of the story is missing, the wife, brother in laws, sister in law, kids, her dad really really really love Packers for long enough to , , , ,
well marriage is work ,,,, however I wonder about opening the windows and turning the vent fans on for the next play off this weekend

Sorry for your troubles, Rice.

Maybe we should root for the Pack to lose this weekend, so you don't have to suffer through the Superbowl! :D

Tell me about counting. Been doing that all the way through. Son that lives with us had a couple co-workers test positive in August. Got through that. Every time he visits a friend I start counting. I count after we see our daughter (not since Christmas and we all wore masks). Made a grave error in judgement and had a couple in the house for about one hour right after Christmas. Found out later that one of them had possibly been exposed....that was a long 14 days.

Rice_Guy, one of the families in our community keep getting together; seven tested positive and they buried my 82 year old former co-worker last Friday.

I envy you ,,,,, and I am counting the days

well let’s count ,,, if the 38 YO daughter tested positive Thursday
and the wife’s clan came for football playoffs Saturday (which had food/ drinks),,, that is five days
and if she was symptomatic enough to take the test that would have probably been Tuesday so that makes three days from football
and the incubation for most viruses is two to three days so, possibly one day, possibly zero days from football
- -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
distribution is interesting since three times this week the clinic has said they don’t have any vaccine in the building or just wait ”My Chart” will notify you when it is your time, however the wife got round one at this clinic with a magic phone number from the school superintendent
well let’s count, if the age cut off drops to 65 on Monday and that adds another 700,000 eligible to get a vaccine multiplied by maybe 75,000 doses per week, , , , how many weeks?
Right, living in Waupaca means I’ll be lucky to get vaccinated by May

I have been amazed how clinics have had access to the vaccine. ALSO There are other companies who are working on a lower technology normal storage temperature dose (J&J). It will come! ,,,, In Waupaca I would hope for our age group to be vaccinated by the end of March. Another up side for you is that there are quite a few folks who still don’t want to have it, just because we have 700K eligible Monday doesn’t mean they will take it.
Now to complicate the picture, Dr Fauci in today’s press conference mentioned that the strain developed in South Africa is showing resistance to monoclonal antibodies, ,,,, current vaccine may not be as effective! ,,,, He also pointed out that RNA viruses evolve fairly fast so as long as a high percent of the population can get infected we will see more adaptation of this organism to its food source. ,,,,,,

I have been amazed how clinics have had access to the vaccine. ALSO There are other companies who are working on a lower technology normal storage temperature dose (J&J). It will come! ,,,, In Waupaca I would hope for our age group to be vaccinated by the end of March. Another up side for you is that there are quite a few folks who still don’t want to have it, just because we have 700K eligible Monday doesn’t mean they will take it.
Now to complicate the picture, Dr Fauci in today’s press conference mentioned that the strain developed in South Africa is showing resistance to monoclonal antibodies, ,,,, current vaccine may not be as effective! ,,,, He also pointed out that RNA viruses evolve fairly fast so as long as a high percent of the population can get infected we will see more adaptation of this organism to its food source. ,,,,,,

Yes it's possible some strains might make some vaccines less, we don't know yet. Even if they do though, we're starting from 95% or so, this gives us quite a bit of leeway before reduced effectiveness is a problem. Even at 75% the vaccine would still be wildly successful. They were aiming for 50% or higher in development.

In less good news, the LTC my wife works at has now been in outbreak for over a week. She works in Laundry which hasn't had any staff get sick, until today (well confirmed today).
So now we're much more nervous, and work is begging her to work more often because they are so short staffed. She's had one shot of pfizer but #2 won't be for almost 3 weeks.
Balancing needs of the LTC and its residents vs health of her and our family is a delicate and stressful discussion.

We called yesterday at 5:45am and got through, so my wife and I (65+) will get our first shots on Feb 25. Happy about that.
Moving into our new house next weekend, but already moved all the wine equipment into the wine room and moving as much as possible this weekend into the basement that's unfinished. But, of course, Sunday afternoon will be watching the Packers play. The first 3 words that all my 4 grandchildren spoke were "ma ma", "da da" and "TOUCHDOWN"(with both hands in the air). That's that way it is in Green Bay.

Last edited:
yup ! , hard to operate from a logic point and keep the emotion out.
. . . . She's had one shot of pfizer but #2 won't be for almost 3 weeks. Balancing needs of the LTC and its residents vs health of her and our family is a delicate and stressful discussion.
good news! on the daughter so far symptoms are just “very tired”. Looks like she will do the two weeks and be back to normal. Secondly is she had one day for test results (not three days) so we probably did not host a spreader football playoff event. Third gramps got scheduled for shot #1 on Monday so I am the main one who is at risk.

. . . . . . . awfully hard to not have a fear based reaction . . . . .

If you have to stay in the house when hosting the playoffs, you can wear a mask or a double mask. It will protect you to some degree. Maybe others will take the hint.

Green envy said it well, ,,, a “delicate and stressful discussion”, ,,, football is a TRADITION which has to involve food and drinks and yelling. Some how the masks come off after going to the kitchen.
If you have to stay in the house when hosting the playoffs, you can wear a mask or a double mask. It will protect you to some degree. Maybe others will take the hint.
Maybe there is another choice, camping till it’s over.
7D8E1AB4-F3C3-4E80-A51C-586908719EDA.jpeg

Take loads of vitamin d3, Pepcid, zinc and vitamin c. Mega doses of d3 have been shown to help the severity and possibly decrease chances of contracting COVID.
I like the camping idea best!

Latest posts

Back