Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are a society that has absolutely no understanding of the difference between public health and personal illness. In fact I would argue that US society is a clone of the Thatcher approach to society in the UK in the 1970s. She said, and I quote: Society? there is no such thing as society.
Here we admit that you and I can get sick and die . That's personal illness but no such thing as public health. We are now dying at a faster rate than 1 person a minute every day BECAUSE of this virus. Well, it looks like we are racing pell mell towards the iceberg while our federal government is reclining on their deckchairs sipping martinis or playing rounds of golf.
I just found out our pastor went to live with the Lord today at 4PM. I am so devastated!! He was the glue that held the congregation together. I don't know how our small country church will survive this blow. Others are sick, one of our congregation's twin brother died last week of the virus..................when is this going to end??.................blessings to all...................................DizzyIzzy

I know I've posted this for North Dakota before, but here is the data for all of the US. This is a graph of total weekly deaths due to any and all causes for the last four years. You can see that 2020 is simply not normal. We have experienced an unprecedented number of excess deaths over, what is typically, a very stable statistical average. Whether or not the death certificates state these excess deaths are due to COVID-19, the pandemic is the one factor different in 2020. You can even see at the tail end of 2017 and the beginning of 2018 a slight increase in deaths over normal. THIS was due to the worst flu season we have had in 100 years. This pandemic blows that all away. I think this is what people really need to see to understand that this is simply not the flu and their lack of regard for their friends and neighbors are killing people.

US-excess-deaths-47.jpg

University hospital Udine Italian reported that in 40% of positive covid antibody individuals loss of smell and taste was the only covid symptom.
Also in individuals who were admitted to the hospital and tested positive for covid, 63% reported loss of smell and taste ,, and for almost 25% this was the first symptom.

Vaccine or vodka? Russians told to choose their shot

“The intake of alcohol needs to stop at least two weeks prior to immunization,” Popova said in an interview with Radio Komsomolskaya Pravda.

Recipients should then abstain from alcohol for “42 days after the first injection,” Popova added. “Immunity is being formed and one needs to take care.”

Needless to say there was some push back from the Russians. Later the vac developers made the following public statement

“We strongly recommend abstaining from alcohol for three days after each injection,” Gintsburg said.
"Excess alcohol consumption suppresses the immune system, reducing Sputnik V’s effectiveness “or even rendering it meaningless,” he added “Of course we’re not talking about a complete ban on alcohol during vaccination,” Gintsburg said.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020...a-tells-coronavirus-vaccine-recipients-a72280

Note: Their Vax is like AstraZeneca’s vaccine which is a viral vector inoculation that is based on a weakened version of a common cold virus (adenovirus) and not a mRNA based vax. But OH is believe to weaken the immune system.

“The intake of alcohol needs to stop at least two weeks prior to immunization,” Popova said in an interview with Radio Komsomolskaya Pravda.

Recipients should then abstain from alcohol for “42 days after the first injection,” Popova added. “Immunity is being formed and one needs to take care.”

Needless to say there was some push back from the Russians. Later the vac developers made the following public statement

“We strongly recommend abstaining from alcohol for three days after each injection,” Gintsburg said.
"Excess alcohol consumption suppresses the immune system, reducing Sputnik V’s effectiveness “or even rendering it meaningless,” he added “Of course we’re not talking about a complete ban on alcohol during vaccination,” Gintsburg said.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020...a-tells-coronavirus-vaccine-recipients-a72280

Note: Their Vax is like AstraZeneca’s vaccine which is a viral vector inoculation that is based on a weakened version of a common cold virus (adenovirus) and not a mRNA based vax. But OH is believe to weaken the immune system.

Well, I guess I know which vax I'll be seeking out when I'm eligible in 2024. :D

an argument for lowering the curve, AKA mask wearing.
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2016.2562
In brief, the rate of mutation on an infection is high in the initial reproduction phase (exponential growth phase) when lots of copies of the virus are produced.
* IF we have a high infection rate we have lots of individuals who host the organism and shorten how much time is required for the next major step in the evolution of the disease.
* IF we slow transmission we can starve the organism of new hosts who are willing to let the organism evolve to the next infectious agent and in a case like small pox the organism went extinct.

My CEO (Wife) and I had our first Jab Dec 18, 2nd one due Jan 8. I take no notice of the anti vaccine crap that's being circulated, nor the no mask, social distancing crap. As for people saying the Government is using it to collect your data, well that's crap as well.
If you pay income tax, have a driving licence, credit or bank card, passport, use social media, forums such as this, they already have it.
It's getting to the stage where WE THE PEOPLE have to make a stand. Let's do it. Play safe. stay safe, get the jab.

The US past 20,000,000 cases of COVID today.

It took 292 days for the US to reach its first 10 million cases, and just 54 more days to double it.

Let thank sink in for a minute.

Under strict lockdown again in the UK. :rdo
A front line doctor from a London hospital said, 'Scientists are saying it's a mutant variant of the virus that's causing it to spread so rapidly. Viruses don't spread on their own, it's human beings who are doing the spreading.'
My grand-daughter is on the front line giving people the needle at the Health Centre in the next town, I hope she stays safe.
I had my first jab of vaccine Dec 18, next one due this coming Friday, no problems at all.
As for lockdown, as long as I have a couple of biscuits, a piece of strong cheese and a glass of good wine I can put up with it.
I wish you all a Happier and Healthier New Year. Stay Safe. 🙂🙂🙂

We debate. To retire or not to retire on Feb 17th? ?

The wife is looking at her high school going back to in person classes on Feb 17th. What the school nurse sent out would say that nation wide at December the risk of a school staff team member catching covid has been 1 in 200 for in person schools. Students is 1 in 400. School staff is about a third higher than the risk seen in the communities the districts are in. (Data Includes asymptomatic cases).

The state/ county are awfully slow at giving projected schedule info on vaccination. I wish there was a daily press briefing to”encourage” the health folks to have a plan. I like Florida letting Publix distribute through their pharmacies, , , , wine maker 101 PATIENCE!

Last edited:
I wonder if they also need to reduce their intake of antifreeze and brake fluid

“The intake of alcohol needs to stop at least two weeks prior to immunization,” Popova said in an interview with Radio Komsomolskaya Pravda. Recipients should then abstain from alcohol for “42 days after the first injection,” Popova added. “Immunity is being formed and one needs to take care.”

Yes, I've been tracking the number of deaths due to all causes for months and see the same thing. Note that the 2017-2018 flu season shows up there. That was the worst influence epidemic in 100 years. COVID-19 makes it pale in comparison. US-excess-deaths-52.jpg

The debate on going back to in person teaching in February or suddenly retiring has been answered. :db
The school district sent out invitations about “get your vaccination” so she has one down and the second shot is on the calendar. , , , humm a few more years
We debate. To retire or not to retire on Feb 17th? ?

The wife is looking at her high school going back to in person classes on Feb 17th. What the school nurse sent out would say that nation wide at December the risk of a school staff team member catching covid has been 1 in 200 for in person schools. Students is 1 in 400. School staff is about a third higher than the risk seen in the communities the districts are in. (Data Includes asymptomatic cases).

The state/ county are awfully slow at giving projected schedule info on vaccination. I wish there was a daily press briefing to”encourage” the health folks to have a plan. I like Florida letting Publix distribute through their pharmacies, , , , wine maker 101 PATIENCE!
The politics of limited supply is interesting, I in the old fart category have not been prioritized and the wife’s father at age 90 also isn't on a priority list.
. ,,,, For some in this area the pandemic is not real, ,, example a niece just came here to visit her grandfather without wearing a mask, ,,, and Yet another student was symptomatic/ tested positive last Wednesday, , my wife worries about how unconcerned most school kids are.,,, however life would be a lot easier if she picked out a younger husband and father, ,,, maybe for the next pandemic,,,,

So in Virginia, they moved the over 65 and the 16 to 64 year with serious health conditions to phase 1b. Some counties are in phase 1b but the pharmacies are saying they are waiting on the vaccines or it will be a 2 month wait...one county health department is saying only the age 75 or older. So it appears the move of groups to a higher phase has done no good.
Oh well, I didn't want to quit teleworking anyhow.

They lowered it to 65 here in Fairfax County, but apparently have no vaccines available. When they opened it up to 75 and older last week, my mother in law tried a few times to call and register with no luck even getting the cal to go through. Finally on Friday, she went through the website and got an immediate confirmation saying "thanks for getting in line. we'll hold your place until there's some vaccine available and will let you know when that happens". Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to open it up to a wider audience when you can't even serve the audience it's already been opened up to.

Same response here in New Jersey I got online to go nowhere no phone calls returned no nothing imagine that what happened to all the millions of serums that were supposed to be out there ? And I fit into the critical profile.

Back