Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's 2020 so it seems the world is full of deniers of most anything even when it's staring back right at them in the mirror.

We must also remember, in regards to our eating habits, that, technically, we’re only harming ourselves by eating like crap. (until we have government sponsored healthcare (aka: “free” healthcare), where the results of ones poor eating habits costs considerably more money than healthy habited folks healthcare does.) I digress.

Conversely, the unwillingness to wear a mask exposes not only the anti-masker, but also everyone else they come in contact with. It’s not just a personal decision, but one of care, concern, and respect for our fellow citizens. Some people weren’t in line when the Lord handed out care, concern, and respect, and therefore must be led by the nose ring in the proper direction.

We’ve already had the virus, and still wear masks at the appropriate times, not because we need to protect ourselves or others, we can’t get it or infect anyone else with it, we do it out of respect and concern for others, it’s just not that freakin hard to do.

We are employing UVC lights to kill off anything in the room (in view), vehicle or private aircraft. It is easy to deploy and takes just a few minutes. This is apart from washing hands, staying at a distance of at least 1,5 meter and so on.

Sorry, seemingly a response to a first page in this thread while I now see there is much more to read!
What type of UV light do you use?

Remember to please keep the discussion about the virus and not politics or your personal belief of what Government is or is not.

in the US,,, , ,
When formulating food for Europe the rules do tell me to use less salt than in the US (but at 9 cents a pound I like salt)
When running a par fry as frozen fish sticks the FDA told me that trans fats cause cancer so we had to stop using them, as far as percentage composition we do try to reduce fat since this seems to be what the market is asking for.
Two generations before X Foods hired me, the US had producers who used saw dust flour as a cheap ingredient and the FDA started a testing program so we couldn’t do it.
The FDA is actively sampling shrimp imported from China since some foreign suppliers use formaldehyde to reduce micro count (isn’t formaldehyde what school embalmed that rat I had to dissect), ,, humm yummy shrimp and pea pods
The FDA decided that listeria was capable of causing food poisoning so a producer had to destroy peanut butter and E. coli caused food poisoning so prepackaged salad was destroyed several times.
A few folks died when air bags inflated with too much reactant and the government forced them to be replaced.
The government regulated tobacco so that the consumer was warned that there is a correlation with cancer and hypertension and heart attack.

There is a tool called hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP). The risk for an old fart dying of COVID is 1%. This is significantly higher than risk of death from any of the government regulated situations above. , ,,,, (oh, the risk of lung damage that makes one tired all day is about 2% and 40 year olds get this symptom)

,,, industry paid me to reduce the risk you are exposed to when you buy groceries, lots of university pHd’s tell me what to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Remember to please keep the discussion about the virus and not politics or your personal belief of what Government is or is not.
Not sure if that's directed at my comment or not, but please know that I worked really hard and edited a number of times to try to keep it apolitical, focused on humanity and how we treat each other. It wasn't a criticism or promotion of what any local, state, country or world government has or is doing, or what I think they should be doing, just my thoughts on basic human respect for our fellow human beings.

I install UV light purification systems and the reality is they can be harmful on your cornias, for them to. Be effective in removing bacteria and mold as well as viruses they should be totally contain ,no UV light exposed .
Just a thought.

I install UV light purification systems and the reality is they can be harmful on your cornias, for them to. Be effective in removing bacteria and mold as well as viruses they should be totally contain ,no UV light exposed .
Just a thought.
That is correct, you should not be in the same room at the time yoiu turn it on and for the time they are on. But in 20-30 minutes you can clean a room. It is a proven method used also in hospitals and operating rooms. It is not perfect as it also reaches out to those areas that the uvc-light can see.

If I fly on safaris or in business/small aircraft, I use such an UVC light as well before I actually enter the aircraft. I place one of these UVC lights, turn it on for 20 minutes and then the UVC light goes off. Then, the cockpit or smaller aircraft is more or less clean. In the mean time, I do the walk around. You could also use it in car rentals. We have a B&B as well and we use these lights there as well.

Not sure if that's directed at my comment or not, but please know that I worked really hard and edited a number of times to try to keep it apolitical, focused on humanity and how we treat each other. It wasn't a criticism or promotion of what any local, state, country or world government has or is doing, or what I think they should be doing, just my thoughts on basic human respect for our fellow human beings.
No, I believe that was directed at a comment I posted since it has been deleted.

I signed up for, and was selected for, the Astra Zeneca Covid vaccine phase 3 trial. Two shots. I get the first on Nove. 30.

Question on that: will you get the vaccine, then be given the virus? Assume that's the case - how else would you test it? If so, thanks for putting yourself out in harm's way.

Question on that: will you get the vaccine, then be given the virus? Assume that's the case - how else would you test it? If so, thanks for putting yourself out in harm's way.
Egads noo! Periodically they check your blood for antibodies. They said at no time would I receive or be exposed to the virus. Because it's a blind study, some people will get a placebo (saline solution I assume).

That is correct, you should not be in the same room at the time yoiu turn it on and for the time they are on. But in 20-30 minutes you can clean a room. It is a proven method used also in hospitals and operating rooms. It is not perfect as it also reaches out to those areas that the uvc-light can see.

If I fly on safaris or in business/small aircraft, I use such an UVC light as well before I actually enter the aircraft. I place one of these UVC lights, turn it on for 20 minutes and then the UVC light goes off. Then, the cockpit or smaller aircraft is more or less clean. In the mean time, I do the walk around. You could also use it in car rentals. We have a B&B as well and we use these lights there as well.
That may work on areas that the uncle light has contact with, how do you treat the surfaces that have no Vic light exposure

So, I have been tracking the data on weekly number of deaths due to ALL CAUSES. This number in the US and even in a small state like North Dakota generally varies very little. The total deaths each week is pretty constant year after year and fluctuates slightly higher during the winter months due to seasonal flu. As you can see from my graph below, 2020 is a huge anomaly. I am tired of the argument that goes something like . . . "Did they die OF covid or WITH covid?" It is moot. The fact is, just in North Dakota, we have already seen almost 1000 more people die in 2020 than the statistical average. The only thing different in 2020 is the presence of COVID-19. The fact is many people are dying that should be alive today. In the country, this number of excess deaths is over 300,000.

ND-excess-deaths-week45.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back