Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are going back to full lockdown on Monday (11/16) for 2 weeks (at least).......

View attachment 68263

Things have gone from bad to worse the last 2-3 weeks. Restaurants are closed for any indoor or outdoor dining. Take out only. Beauty salons and barbershops are closed, liquor stores closed, Churches are closed (no in person services) only online services. Big box and grocery stores can operate at 25% capacity or 75 people max which means Walmart, Costco etc can only have 75 people in the store at a time. Grocery stores are the same so there will be lines a mile long and people will be hoarding once again so they don't have to come back or wait in a line for an hour to get inside.

Hospitals are almost at 100% capacity. If you go into the hospital due to Covid here in NM you have a 20% chance you will leave in a body bag. They interviewed a nurse yesterday in El Paso who was in tears. She said they lost every single patient they were caring for in the ICU on her shift.
That is So Very Sad!! Here in Pa, our # are 5-6k ... uneducated, Selfish people Still thinking it's a hoax!! Not wraring masks & actualliy Strutting around not wearing masks. 😤😢

The results on the two vaccines that came out over the last couple of days is so encouraging. My wife and I will both be in line for it as soon as it becomes available to whatever group we fall into. I'm wondering what HighRisk groups include since they are said to get the vaccine first. Probably not the best time to be an Anti-Vaxer.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 8.13.00 AM.png

The results on the two vaccines that came out over the last couple of days is so encouraging. My wife and I will both be in line for it as soon as it becomes available to whatever group we fall into. I'm wondering what HighRisk groups include since they are said to get the vaccine first. Probably not the best time to be an Anti-Vaxer.

as with past vaccines there will be an advantage in seeing what complications are, normal is to measure in # per 10,000 so the risk is in the range of taking other meds.
So I'll be able to get mine once 80% of the population has theirs. 🤣
Maybe there will be benefits to not being an early adopter on this one.
* the density estimate nation wide is almost one in three hundred are carriers
* the oldest daughter relates that covid has taken over 7th and 8th floor at the hospital, and they don’t want to give up more space since surgery’s bring in more money, ,, AND most of the new covid patients are in their 30’s and 40’s, ,,, KIDS
* interesting what #3 son was told, ,,, a coworker has tested positive so he should stay home three or four days to wait for symptoms, ,,, given this he is home BUT has not gotten tested, ,,, gurr KIDS

The logistics of distribution this vaccine to the community at large will take a while. I would imagine that distribution will take place first and locations where they can treat a lot of people in one location (like large corporations, manufacturing plants, schools, etc ). So it likely will be later than "April 2021". There are a couple other mRNA vaccines that are in initial testing. One of which has lower dose level (likely fewer side effect) and doesn't have the freezer distribution requirements. So there is a good chance things will speed up in the 2nd half of 2021. These are a completely new class of immunization so being a little later might not be a bad thing.

The biologic neutralizing antibody cocktails might also give some more freedom before the vaccine is widely available to individuals. Biologics are more difficult to manufacture to take prophylactically, but they can be a game changer if you get Covid. So when these get formal FDA approval and manufacturing ramps up, I will feel much more inclined to travel and lead a more normal life. Of course with masks to keep the spread down.

https://investor.lilly.com/news-rel...-antibody-bamlanivimab-ly-cov555-receives-fda
https://investor.regeneron.com/news...9-outpatient-trial-prospectively-demonstrates

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a real neat risk indicator out which goes county by county everyday to estimate the risk of contact with covid in a group.

In the micro lab we used to run MOST PROBABLE NUMBER for E. coli. Finally some statistics folks did the math behind this infection and transmission risk:try

At the risk of tying this thread back to wine making ..........

We live in Canada where our overall risk of exposure is relatively low c/w the rest of the world. In Canada we live in the province with the lowest population density and the lowest incidence of the bug. In that province we live in a little tiny forgotten remote village which we like to describe as a retirement community without the fence and guard shack. So all that is by way of saying that our personal risk of catching the bug is pretty low as long as we stay home which we do. We never went very far anyway so it wasn't a big adjustment but in anticipation of increased time at home alone with the old woman I am married to I decided to revive my wine making skills.

I made fermented beverages in my youth but my standards were minimal and I stored my output in empty milk jugs because they were readily available and because I only needed 1/6th as many as I would have if I used real wine bottles. I'm also a cheap prick so imagine my joy when I started searching FB Marketplace and Kijiji. I discovered that I could acquire much better and more equipment than I could ever have imagined for pennies on the dollar. So you could say the China Flu drove me to wine making and I'm having a blast. Right now I've got a WinExpert Stag Leap Merlot bulk aging; a WinExpert Washington Riesling recently bottled, a carboy++ of Dragon's Blood slowly clearing; another carboy++ of my own cider interpretation mostly cleared and a fermenter full of Skeeter Pee. Plus a couple of Costco kits on their way to my door. I'm ready for a winter of isolation. Really ready.

Sounds useful. Would you mind sharing the link?
Well Paul that was the intent, i can google it but not copy the link (yet) it is called:
COVID-19 Event Risk Assessment Planning Tool
by Georgia Institute of Technology and Stanford University
it was a story on the TV this morning and public radio (WHAD) yesterday, ,,, this iPad hasn’t let me copy that article and I haven’t booted up the desk top lately.

@bobofthenorth i envy Canada’s social concern for neighbors
old farts have permission to not figure out how this box works, ,,, today I am seventy, ,,, which in part is why I get pissed at the COVID19 response I see with some of the kids and the neighbor who fixes things at six Walmart stores and then wants to share a glass of his current wine. Age equals one percent risk:(

Last edited:
Well Paul that was the intent, i can google it but not copy the link (yet) it is called:
COVID-19 Event Risk Assessment Planning Tool
by Georgia Institute of Technology and Stanford University
it was a story on the TV this morning and public radio (WHAD) yesterday, ,,, this iPad hasn’t let me copy that article and I haven’t booted up the desk top lately.

@bobofthenorth i envy Canada’s social concern for neighbors
old farts have permission to not figure out how this box works, ,,, today I am seventy, ,,, which in part is why I get pissed at the COVID19 response I see with some of the kids and the neighbor who fixes things at six Walmart stores and then wants to share a glass of his current wine. Age equals one percent risk:(
Here is the link for you:

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/

We are employing UVC lights to kill off anything in the room (in view), vehicle or private aircraft. It is easy to deploy and takes just a few minutes. This is apart from washing hands, staying at a distance of at least 1,5 meter and so on.

Sorry, seemingly a response to a first page in this thread while I now see there is much more to read!

WHOO HOOO ....How long might immunity to the coronavirus last? Years, maybe even decades, according to a new study — the most hopeful answer yet to a question that has shadowed plans for widespread vaccination.

Eight months after infection, most people who have recovered still have enough immune cells to fend off the virus and prevent illness, the new data show. A slow rate of decline in the short term suggests, happily, that these cells may persist in the body for a very, very long time to come.

(study to large to attach, but it is linked by clicking the red portion)

And the poor nurses who now have to sit and listen to these people in the ICU now dying from Covid in the "Antimask States" are actually saying to them "I can't be dying from Covid it's not real........."

And the poor nurses who now have to sit and listen to these people in the ICU now dying from Covid in the "Antimask States" are actually saying to them "I can't be dying from Covid it's not real........."

On another forum I spend too much time on, somebody was accusing that South Dakota nurse of lying about that patient -- denying the reports of the plight of the deniers! :slp

Latest posts

Back