Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got duped by click bait on an article mentioning vaccine efficacy percentage in the title. Of course, none was given in the article. Blind studies means no one really knows yet. Complete fails would probably be weeded out early though because they would already have the requisite number of positive case to start unmasking the data.

So, North Dakota has been in a very bad spot for a while now. A couple weeks ago our cases per 100,000 were the highest in the world. Our hospitals are full and the White House even sent Dr. Brix over last week to slap our governor and said Bismarck was the worst place she had seen for safety compliance. I have friends right now in their 30's and 40's hospitalized and some in ICU. The lack of beds has caused problems for people with this and other emergencies having to go even out of state to get care. Yet, people still deny it. It is getting really frustrating. ND-New-covid19-10-27.jpgND-active-10-27.jpgND-Deaths-Daily-10-27.jpgND-hospital-10-27.jpg

It seems the vaccine trials are going to take a little longer. Could it be that people volunteering for the studies are more likely to be careful to start with so getting to the requisite number of infections is taking longer? Let's face it. I'm willing to bet zero anti-vaxxers have signed up. COVID deniers? I'm sure they didn't sign up either. Probably a lot of overlap in that group. The people conducting the research should have set up shop for the Sturgis rally. ;)

We are right behind you. So much misinformation coming from covidiots of all shapes and sizes these days. It really is a test of Darwin's Theory. I feel sorry for the elderly who stayed home, stayed safe only to get sick and pass from a younger family member who brought it home because they didn't think it was serious or worse because they heard "we are rounding the corner"..........

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 11.06.05 AM.png

So, North Dakota has been in a very bad spot for a while now.

Things in Virginia are on the rise, although only very slightly here in the Northern part of the state. Was starting to get comfortable in Sept and early October, but am wanting to start hunkering down again. In fact, going on a supply run tomorrow, probably start filling the freezer up again too. Baseball ends this weekend, so aside from grocery stores, we won't have much need to go out. Now if I could just keep my mother-in-law home and/or away from our house....

We are right behind you. So much misinformation coming from covidiots of all shapes and sizes these days. It really is a test of Darwin's Theory. I feel sorry for the elderly who stayed home, stayed safe only to get sick and pass from a younger family member who brought it home because they didn't think it was serious or worse because they heard "we are rounding the corner"..........

View attachment 67597
an old friend from high school brother died from Covid. The son was a bartender in CA and did not wear a mask. It did not really hit the kid much. Sis is really mad at the son. Family feud. really sad. It did not have to be this way. Especially when you look at the asian countries who have lower stats and their economy is growing.

I have been working through this since it started, just trying to stay sane, not letting it, the politics (NOT Talking about), or work to drive me crazy. It honestly reminds me of being in the navy underway, I wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast, go to work, eat lunch, eat dinner, have a watch, and work out/shower, stuck into the equation somewhere then off to bed for the next day for months at a time.

We're doing fine in NH. Cases are up a bit, but for the most part people are wearing masks and social distancing. Indoor dining has been open for a while now with either lower capacity or barriers between tables. But not many people are going inside. All stores are busy, but as I said, people are wearing masks and social distancing. Many stores are requiring masks to enter. Deaths have mostly been associated with long term care facilities. ICU occupancy is only 4%.

I got duped by click bait on an article mentioning vaccine efficacy percentage in the title. Of course, none was given in the article. Blind studies means no one really knows yet. Complete fails would probably be weeded out early though because they would already have the requisite number of positive case to start unmasking the data.
Actually a blind study means that the researchers do not know control from experimental subjects. It is one method of increasing validity of the study.

We are going back to full lockdown on Monday (11/16) for 2 weeks (at least).......

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 6.28.43 PM.png

Things have gone from bad to worse the last 2-3 weeks. Restaurants are closed for any indoor or outdoor dining. Take out only. Beauty salons and barbershops are closed, liquor stores closed, Churches are closed (no in person services) only online services. Big box and grocery stores can operate at 25% capacity or 75 people max which means Walmart, Costco etc can only have 75 people in the store at a time. Grocery stores are the same so there will be lines a mile long and people will be hoarding once again so they don't have to come back or wait in a line for an hour to get inside.

Hospitals are almost at 100% capacity. If you go into the hospital due to Covid here in NM you have a 20% chance you will leave in a body bag. They interviewed a nurse yesterday in El Paso who was in tears. She said they lost every single patient they were caring for in the ICU on her shift.

Last edited:
Things are tightening here in VA starting tomorrow as well. Bars and restaurants have to close early, liquor sales stop even earlier, capacity reduced, size of acceptable gatherings reduced. My nephew tested positive yesterday.

All these lockdowns makes me wonder what's supposed to happen to the virus during the lockdown. And when the lockdown is over, will the virus magically be gone? Europe had extensive lockdowns and all they did was delay the spread. People need to use common sense and wear a mask, social distance, use hand sanitizer, wash their hands and avoid large gatherings in confined spaces.

All these lockdowns makes me wonder what's supposed to happen to the virus during the lockdown. And when the lockdown is over, will the virus magically be gone? Europe had extensive lockdowns and all they did was delay the spread. People need to use common sense and wear a mask, social distance, use hand sanitizer, wash their hands and avoid large gatherings in confined spaces.

It's just about slowing the spread so the health care facilities aren't overwhelmed. A slower spread just means there will be ICU space and ventilators available for those who need them, when they need them.

MEANWHILE, , the Wisconsin governor who has had his hand slapped with earlier orders being rescinded in the court system, so Wednesday he gave recommendations. ,,, the legislature needs to approve any legal mandate, the same legislature which set up districts in a way such that with a minority of state votes, they can hold a legislative majority.
MEANWHILE, , , the wife has had a student a day get quarantined due to covid in the family.
and we can’t explain why, , , Wisconsin shows up in the national news as a hot spot.

an interesting small study form Columbia Hospital this week. Kids response is explained . . . At what age will the antibody response turn more adult, , 18? , , 28?
Children Produce Different Antibodies in Response to SARS-CoV-2

We are going back to full lockdown on Monday (11/16) for 2 weeks (at least).......

View attachment 68263

Things have gone from bad to worse the last 2-3 weeks. Restaurants are closed for any indoor or outdoor dining. Take out only. Beauty salons and barbershops are closed, liquor stores closed, Churches are closed (no in person services) only online services. Liquor stores closed. Big box and grocery stores can operate at 25% capacity or 75 people max which means Walmart, Costco etc can only have 75 people in the store at a time. Grocery stores are the same so there will be lines a mile long and people will be hoarding once again so they don't have to come back or wait in a line for an hour to get inside.

Hospitals are almost at 100% capacity. If you go into the hospital due to Covid here in NM you have a 20% chance you will leave in a body bag. They interviewed a nurse yesterday in El Paso who was in tears. She said they lost every single patient they were caring for in the ICU on her shift.

Yikes.

The upper midwest is on fire, sadly. We are not going into lockdown, however. The state legislature has gotten the state supreme court to overturn essentially any action the governor takes. (Edited to add: Just as @Rice_Guy said just before me.)

91-DIVOC-states-normalized-Wisconsin.png

I can't believe that just a couple weeks ago when I thought things were bad, they were just beginning. Our hospitalizations have almost doubled, deaths have been increasing, our new cases are skyrocketing and North Dakota is essentially the highest per capita cases and deaths in the world right now. Our governor has only just last night instituted the first mask mandate. He has also told our health care workers they should still work even if they test positive but are so far asymptomatic! That is because we have a shortage of nurses right now. They are already pulling double shifts and being burnt out. This will only get worse before it gets better.

Latest posts

Back