Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, all of that talk back in March about 'Maybe the heat and sunshine will kill it..." didn't turn out to be true. In fact, looking at the map, it seems the heat and sunshine actually incubate it!

Yes, but you are probably aware of the other interpretation: it spreads so much better indoors. The theory is that if people in the south are driven inside due to A/C, they are more likely to spread it. The bad news is obvious for those of us in the north come winter.

Most probable number
when I was a kid working in the micro lab we ran a serial dilution test for E. coli, ,, counted the number of positive in each dilution, ,, went to a table and then gave the MPN for the bug. I wish this was calculated for covid in every county in the US.

ex,,, if all US meat plants with 3000 employees are hot spots the covid MPN was one in 3K
if one person in the church cohort has it let’s see,,, one in 200
if the wife’s school district had ten in June, ,,, twenty one in July and ,,, August maybe double the risk is N in N hundred. and so on. ,,,, risk day by day is a numbers game, and we all live it deciding what neighborhood is OK or to toss out the canned product that is bulging

Where this all leads is it is coming will it be this week or next year? ,,, This feels kinda like going to the dentist.

Last edited:
Well, I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like my father-in-law is going to make it! 👍 He is in a nursing home in another state (Missouri), and slowly but surely Covid swept through the facility. About half of the residents got it (as well as some staff). Of the residents who got it, about 25% have died, and about half have already recovered, and 25% still sick. It looks like my F-I-L has now joined the "recovered" group. (I want to post a celebratory smilie here, but it seems disrespectful to the ones who didn't make it.)

Still no idea when we will be able to see him...

Sadly, my father-in-law passed away this afternoon. This won't count as a Covid death, and nor should it, but it certainly didn't help. He did recover from the disease, but it was sort of downhill from there. His decline (already in progress) accelerated quickly after the bout with Covid, and he entered hospice a bit over a week ago. We never got to see him again. Godspeed, Steve!

Sadly, my father-in-law passed away this afternoon. This won't count as a Covid death, and nor should it, but it certainly didn't help. He did recover from the disease, but it was sort of downhill from there. His decline (already in progress) accelerated quickly after the bout with Covid, and he entered hospice a bit over a week ago. We never got to see him again. Godspeed, Steve!
So sorry for your loss.

Very sorry for your loss Paul.

To SG: Sorry to hear of this. We lost my wife's father in late April under much the same conditions. He was 90. My wife still deals with the emotions of not being allowed to be there for the last couple of months of his life. The best she was allowed was to see him through a window and talk with him on the phone. The sad part of this whole business is seeing people die alone.

Back