Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our schools just announced a change of course. We had been asked to choose between a 2-day/week in school option vs all online. Parents voted 60/40% in favor of 2 days in school. Those who chose not to go would be able to do 100% online. Teachers voted 48% to go to school for two days. As I expected, it was just announced that we'll be 100% online. Mixed emotions on this - especially in regards to my oldest, who is starting middle school. Fortunately, it seems our summer baseball season has gone well (still just shy of two weeks to go), so I'm hopeful that fall baseball will be in full, COVID compliant, swing. So there's at least one opportunity for in-person socialization and formation of friendships.

Last edited:
yesterday we got word down the line that heating and air conditioning plants down on the border are closing down and that shipments of parts for hvac industry coming from Japan,china and the like are shutting down which means if your in need of a furnace or heat pump don't wait I'm already waiting for a customer 2 weeks for a heat pump condenser, in 32 years of doing this,,this is a first.

Yes. I live near Pugent Sound and when Covid hit China there was no real shipping activity that I saw . Typically you can see cargo ships most of the times. I has increased some just as seeing a few plane going to land at SEA, but neither are normal. We were talking to our boat mechanic and he stated that motors are hard to come by these days. I think we are going to find out the hard way how much we rely on the Asian countries.

https://www.joc.com/maritime-news/alliances-outline-extensive-blank-sailings-q3_20200603.html

Rumor mill from my sister in MD is they are going to be rolling back by at least one phase. I suspect Virginia is strongly considering doing the same. Here in the DC suburbs of Northern Virginia, things have remained stable, or gotten even better. The rest of the state is a different story. OBX vacation in a few weeks and I'm closely monitoring North Carolina. A few states further north are already mandating 14 day quarantine for visitors from VA.

I have a lake house in MD and in March they prohibited renting houses — during the time of March - May 15 there were only 3 confirmed cases in the county.. As of May 15th, in coordination with Phase One, they lifted the ban and people were again able to rent houses on the lake.. The county just confirmed its 34th case.

I have a lake house in MD and in March they prohibited renting houses — during the time of March - May 15 there were only 3 confirmed cases in the county.. As of May 15th, in coordination with Phase One, they lifted the ban and people were again able to rent houses on the lake.. The county just confirmed its 34th case.

Where in MD? I have friends w/ places in Deep Creek - most spent the initial phases of the shutdown up at the Lake.

Where in MD? I have friends w/ places in Deep Creek - most spent the initial phases of the shutdown up at the Lake.
Nice, that’s where my place is. I spent a few weeks there working remotely and it was great. Just about 2 hours from home so it’s nice to load up the car full of groceries and drive up during the week. Garage to garage — never have to be out in public!

And again, no, it is not due to increased testing. (The dashed line is what you would expect if positivity rates remained what they were in early June. Moreover, you would expect that more testing would lead to a decreased positivity rate if all else was equal.)

The average number of tests conducted nationwide has grown by 80 percent since early June, to 780,000 per day. Daily case counts have grown by 215 percent in the same period.

notduetotesting.jpeg

And again, no, it is not due to increased testing. (The dashed line is what you would expect if positivity rates remained what they were in early June. Moreover, you would expect that more testing would lead to a decreased positivity rate if all else was equal.)

View attachment 63858

The positivity rate is on the rise here in VA. What I really, really would like to know is the 'nature' of these positives. How many are actually symptomatic?

I found this interactive map to be very enlightening especially now. It is updated daily. This is a LANL spinoff company. Usually a couple guys with some nice IP get together and take an "entrepreneurial leave".

You can zoom in to your hearts content and at the click up a button get all the CV-19 data you really need. At a glance you can see just how "hot" the hot spots are.

https://www.descarteslabs.com/resou...DgipiGkQ_Q95qdAD_p4sJBL1RitFpDzcDhnDgSZALlN54

I found this interactive map to be very enlightening especially now. It is updated daily. This is a LANL spinoff company. Usually a couple guys with some nice IP get together and take an "entrepreneurial leave".

You can zoom in to your hearts content and at the click up a button get all the CV-19 data you really need. At a glance you can see just how "hot" the hot spots are.

https://www.descarteslabs.com/resou...DgipiGkQ_Q95qdAD_p4sJBL1RitFpDzcDhnDgSZALlN54

Boy, all of that talk back in March about 'Maybe the heat and sunshine will kill it..." didn't turn out to be true. In fact, looking at the map, it seems the heat and sunshine actually incubate it!

Latest posts

Back