Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
239 Experts With One Big Claim: The Coronavirus Is Airborne
The W.H.O. has resisted mounting evidence that viral particles floating indoors are infectious, some scientists say. The agency maintains the research is still inconclusive.......

But in an open letter to the W.H.O., 239 scientists in 32 countries have outlined the evidence showing that smaller particles can infect people, and are calling for the agency to revise its recommendations. The researchers plan to publish their letter in a scientific journal next week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/...ne-big-claim-the-coronavirus-is-airborne.html

NM just spent $67K running a tourism ad this weekend in all newspapers in both TX and AZ.

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 8.13.06 AM.png

Basically saying we would love to see you but now is not the best time to visit and if you do, bring a mask, wear it, oh and BTW, we have a 14 day quarantine if you do come. Some friends of ours went to Santa fe this weekend to deliver meals for the elderly and shut-ins. Afterwards they drove to a food truck on the plaza. All the locals where wearing a mask in line. A group of 4 older women strolled up to the line. None were masked. When the line turned to tell them the need to be masked you can guess what happened next. The women (from Texas) got into a screaming shouting match with everyone. Insults were hurled in both directions. They were told to go back home. The food truck refused to take their order without a mask. They finally got back in their car and left.

Last edited:
Such a shame that people can't just put on a stupid mask for a few minutes out of common courtesy/decency. I hate wearing the damn things, but for all I know, I could be carrying this bug around and I'd rather not spread it to friends OR strangers.

It's interesting. Both options will be available (all at home, or 2 days/week in school). We have to register by 7/10 to indicate which option we want. From there, the schools will figure out how to staff accordingly and figure out lesson plans.
Yes school plans are interesting, , but extremely raw yet, ,
the wife looks at the lack of detail and wonders about retiring early, I/ we know covid will be in the building, it is a numbers game
some how I don’t hear the big point yet, it will cost more,,, and some details like who will be a sub in your classroom technically may not exist (the liscensed subs seem to be mainly retired teachers)

Well it was a nice run I had going up until now. I’ve personally known multiple people who have contracted Covid over here in jersey and PA. Not sure exact number but a lot. Couple dozen maybe. But up until now not a single one ended up sick or really shown any symptoms at all.
Found out last night my neighbor who contracted the virus fell very ill. We share a backyard fence. Was told that our area hospital said he was the most complicated case they had seen yet and had to send him to another. He passed away yesterday. Only 59yrs old. No underlying issues at all. His wife and daughter told me he was the healthiest 59yr old she’s ever known. Which I believe. His yard is a work of art. Spent hours upon hours every single day out there tending to it.
He was originally tested for his job. Had zero symptoms at that point. Stay safe out there

Thanks for sharing, Andrew. Sorry to hear.
Yea it’s certainly an eye opener for me. Not that I haven’t taken this seriously at all- because I have. But I was more or less going with the flow because ya just kinda have to. Masks. Social distance. Washing hands etc. I mean around here even if don’t agree with the mask thing you still do it because it’s a necessity. Can’t do anything without it. And also don’t wanna piss off anyone around me lol. Nobody’s fighting it. They just do it.

Places like Texas I guess it’s different when a safety precedent hasn’t already been set and people have been set in their ways. I dunno.
Also it’s noteworthy to point out the majority of people I know who have contracted it recently have been teenagers. It’s running through entire crowds. My good friends daughters entire shore house. Friends of ours son at a party — entire party tested positive. Every one. But up until my neighbor Brian I can’t lie, there was still a part of me that wasn’t respecting the reality of dying from it

This resonates with me -- I have shared that feeling. And I am essentially the same age as your friend!
Yeah, 57 and pretty healthy. No bad habits other than drinking (which I think is a good habit). I guess it depends how bad you get it. Now that I'm going into work three days a week (we have mandated mask wearing anywhere on the company property, including the parking lot with no one in site (I know, I got yelled at but hadn't read the company email that was sent that morning yet)) I'm somewhat concerned for others (wifey works in a hospital OR).

Guess I'm glad I dropped a few pounds.

AJ,
Condolences to his family.
yeah. my same thoughts as well. It’s pretty gut wrenching to think about. Feel absolutely terrible for the girls. And the dogs too! Both his dogs and mine would go nuts when he comes outside! He’s out there tossing the ball every day for his two border collies as my two run up and down the fence line and he always leans over giving them attention. It’s their morning and afternoon routine

eh. To change gears here, anyone rocking any cool/unique masks? My favorite is this breathable stretchy doo-rag material mask I’ve been using. It’s not really a mask per se. can be a headband, bandana, full face etc. just wear around my neck and pull it up as needed. Been my go-to for a month now.

Just remember if someone around you had covid when the mask was on, then there is a potential for the droplets to be on the outside. So when you touch your mask from around your neck to cover your face again, then it could be on your hands. Sanitizer will solve that

My daughter-in-law sorta has to go to her brother's wedding tomorrow. Long sad story there that I'll spare you from and myself from typing. ;)

I had a friend with some spare N95's from a bad fire season in California so he sent me some. I gifted 1 to her and 1 to my son. I told her if she wears it tomorrow, my recommendation, that she should maybe wear a scarf over it to keep it clean for possible reuse in the future.

Below is a link on re-use guidance. My dental hygienist wore a surgical mask over her N95. I just use the N95 mask with a coffee filter underneath so I don't soil the inside and store it in a paper bag for at least 7 days. (similar to the 5 mask rotation timeline also in the following guideline. I definitely would throw it out if I knew I was exposed to the virus.

https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

I let my mask bake at 140F with UV radiation in the front dash of my car, it's not ideal but is the best I can do.

Back