Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone:
Maybe it's time for a spot dedicated to the day to day life under the new rules because of the virus for a while. It seems to be seeping into just about every thread so why not give it a place to "self-quarnitine" for a while.

I'm guessing we'll be dealing with this for a while and the stories of the effects will probably range from minor inconveniences to major life changes and I'm sure from humorous to incredibly sad.

Might be a good chance to share experiences with a group of people we know and trust (not totally sure about ibglowin yet), but anyway, we're following the guidelines as much as reasonable but do need to head out to the store today or tomorrow. If we don't make it back because the Zombies got us then carry on and be safe all.

Seriously, do take care,
Mike

giphy.gif

Might be a good chance to share experiences with a group of people we know and trust (not totally sure about ibglowin yet).......

My workday has broadened to 14+ hours, but with multiple breaks and distractions. I feel super-productive and worthless at the same time. :D
I hear this often when people first start working at home. Pick a start time and stop time, stuck to them like they are work hours. Unless the house is on fire and you need to do something about it, the kids don't bother you. Focus, focus, focus.

I've been working at home for about 20 years. You have to do that or you work all the time.

I was walking through my wife's home office, she was on a FaceTime type conference with one of her customers I happen to know. He launched into a coughing fit just then and immediately apologized telling her "don't worry it's just a cold". Before thinking (I'm a smart ass at heart) I shouted "It's ok, she's got virus protection on the system". I could hear him laughing as I walked out.
Mike

I was walking through my wife's home office, she was on a FaceTime type conference with one of her customers I happen to know. He launched into a coughing fit just then and immediately apologized telling her "don't worry it's just a cold". Before thinking (I'm a smart ass at heart) I shouted "It's ok, she's got virus protection on the system". I could hear him laughing as I walked out.
Mike

Now that is funny, right there!

K meta does lung damage in concentration! and it is bad on metal surfaces.
Based on being an acidic reducing agent is should, , , BUT ! it is toxic, , it isn’t approved for that use.
I use a Kmeta solution in a spray bottle to sanitize equipment. (3 tbps/gallon) Think it kills the virus?
The news says that this virus is easy to kill, therefore the old rule from micro lab should apply. Simply washing with soap water removes 5 or 6 log cycles of viral contaminant.
Public radio had a program on which suggested let contamination dry or even apply heat as a first step to decontaminate.

K meta does lung damage in concentration! .

It will damage your nasal passage before it damages the lungs. At least that’s what happened to me. After a long night of prepping bottles I endured a bloody nose and my nasal passage on one side was extremely sore and tender for a few days.

That was an isolated incident tho. Took more fumes in one night then I would ever normally take working

What about Starsan. I researched but cannot find anything.

Someone posted this on another winemaking site, I make no claim that it is accurate, but it has enough big words and sound impressive enough:
If you are looking in the winery for disinfectants, then I think Star-San is the go-to product for fighting Covid-19. Star-San has surfactant molecules (dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid) that will tear apart membranes in bacteria and yeast. This is how it works to kill these organisms in the food and wine industry.

These same membrane molecules make up the "viral coating" that is protecting the infective RNA in Covid-19. This is why soap is more effective than bleach at getting rid of Covid-19, because soap is a surfactant molecule (dodecylsulfate, or lauryl sulfate) that disrupts membranes.

Once the viral membrane coating is removed from Covid-19, the RNA inside is actually rather fragile and gets broken down in water and by RNase enzymes that are pretty much everywhere.

You won't find Star-San listed on the EPA website of disinfectants, but that means that you will find it in local Homebrew stores and places that need your business right now. A similar molecule to dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid is on the EPA website . It is octanoic acid and recommendation is to use a 2 min contact time.

Lots of advice being given in UK. A professor of Biology in UK says that because the virus has an oily membrane washing your hands in soap or even dish washing liquid is more effective than anti-bacterial gel or liquid.
Meanwhile, as we are in self imposed isolation it's given me the incentive to catch up on wine making tasks. Just started a brew with what I had at hand, Apple juice, Orange juice, some grape concentrate and of course sugar. No recipe just playing it by ear so to speak, but we'll see how it turns out.
Regards and stay safe to all.

I went to the local grocery store at 7:30 am across the sound from Seattle. All the self check lanes are blocked off, but the checkered lanes were open and packed with long lines. Additionally, the open reach area, like bakery, olive bar, bulk foods were closed. So I conclude that the health department is more concerned about transmittion via contacted infected surfaces vs distance from cough. So wash your hands, wash your hands, and wash your hands.

Yes. There was lots of TP but it was going quickly because it seemed like it was in everybody's cart. I was loading up on fresh produce to freeze & eat as well as getting plants for a garden.

Stay safe

We also had to venture out to the market (Fry Foods). Since our last trip they've closed the full service butcher counter. Chicken, ground beef and most cuts of meat were available, many items now limited to 2 per household which makes sense. We pretty much shopped our normal amounts on everything. Paper goods are still bare and the bread, pasta, beans, rice, all frozen veggies and many of the canned goods were pretty much picked over. Question: when do the hoarders shop? every cart we saw looked to have normal amounts, check out lines were normal to short and most people seemed to be in good moods and behaved. We were out in the middle of the day.

I expected all the people that needed 6 cases of TP to be done buying by now and start seeing supplies showing up on the shelves again.

Someone posted this on another winemaking site, I make no claim that it is accurate, but it has enough big words and sound impressive enough:
I just read an article that said the same thing about the way soap works. I have a 5 gallon bucket of Star-San and a spray bottle always on hand anyhow so I started using it. I figured it was better than nothing. I could use some smaller spray bottles for the rare times I'm out though.

Thank you for sharing.

I noticed the link in their post was for SARS. That said SARS is a virus and, the most effective sanitizer I.e. lease amount of contact time... is still bleach and peroxide.

Stay safe out there, everyone. Wash your hands, clean and sanitize your homes. And get ready for the next batch!

https://www.americanchemistry.com › ...PDF
Novel Coronavirus - American Chemistry Council

Last edited:
Today I went on a service call for one of my customers, A funeral home in South Jersey .
Last night they received their first virus customer ,they were not prepare for this eventually but were told to let the body sit for 72 hrs.before prep.( Cold storage).
Times they be achaingen,we installed 8 uv Ray air cleaners , that's at least helpful ,will go back and disenfect the evaporator coils.
I was also told by my sister in law who's a RN to wash my clothes upon returning to home.im not sure any of this Will help.

Latest posts

Back