Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs IB got her TXT this AM and luckily she was staring at her phone when it hit. She came running from the back of the house. I had her event code entered in no time via my laptop which had everything cached from before. She goes in this Wednesday PM. Getting Moderna like I received. A BFF down the street got the TXT and didn't see it until about 10 mins later and all the slots were taken already. If that happens you wait for someone to cancel and if no cancelations they will send you another event code sometime in the future. Bottom line is you have to be paying attention and fast.........

Got my first one Saturday, Pfizer
What county in Virginia are you in Fred? I got mine as 16-64 with underlying condition, same for my youngest son. My daughter is getting the J&J on Thursday; I think work related.

Our health district is having trouble filling all the slots and are starting to post the extras 24 hours before available. I think that is working well.

My daughter and youngest son have been the weak links in the immediate family. Neither could work from home and several of my daughter's staff had COVID over the last few months. What a relief!

Last edited:
got the second dose of Moderna yesterday :) so far no reaction, less sore than the first one was.
EDIT, well at 18 hours felt chilled, ,, and at 27 hours dr mom thinks I am at 100.4F, ,,,
at 38 hours feel normal/ 98F ,,, it is interesting how variable the response is.

Time for future looking, the youngest daughter wants to get married at StAugustine in may. The look is that we avoid the airport and drive, it’s only 19 hours of holding one hand with the wife. . . . . . and the vinters club is scheduling a trip down the Danube ? ? ? retirement celebration when the wife retires ? ? ?

Last edited:
What county in Virginia are you in Fred? I got mine as 16-64 with underlying condition, same for my youngest son. My daughter is getting the J&J on Thursday; I think work related.

Our health district is having trouble filling all the slots and are starting to post the extras 24 hours before available. I think that is working well.

My daughter and youngest son have been the weak links in the immediate family. Neither could work from home and several of my daughter's staff had COVID over the last few months. What a relief!

Fairfax, the entire process went very smoothly. I'm 65 but people of all ages were getting their shots.

I knew Fairfax County was using their own system of notification. Early on in the Mount Rogers Health District, it was better to get on the individual pharmacy waiting list but now the health district has caught up with scheduling. While the state really hasn't started the "mass clinics" the local health districts are doing their own mass clinics.

Glad everyone seems to be getting a shot at a jab! Congrats Fred and everyone!

Hubby and I both got J&J yesterday. Slight fatigue, maybe a touch of muscle soreness. It's been more than 24 hours so I am hopeful the side effect window is passed. Hubby's mom got her 2nd (Pfizer) a couple weeks ago and wasn't feeling well for a couple days. My folks get their 2nds this weekend (Pfizer) and next (Moderna) so we'll see how they react. Now the pressure is on to clean my house because Mom says they're coming over to visit in mid-April!! 🤣😂🤣

It seems like, and this is just my impression, no one has told me this. But it seems like in Texas rural areas there are a lot of people who are eligible but don't want the shot. That leaves a lot of appointments untaken and the providers really want to give the shots. So they are vaccinating anyone who can finagle an appointment. My wife cyber-stalked all of the registration services in our area until she got us appointments. I'm 65 and she has underlying condition. She was then able to get our two youngest sons (22 and 20) appointments just by filling out the forms. She drove them to the over there, worked their way through the line and they got their shots. No one asked them about their age. Only confirmed their address and ID. It helps when you have an unemployed mama bear advocating for you. I hear it is hard to get appointments in the big cities here but we didn't have to go too far to get ours.

It seems like, and this is just my impression, no one has told me this. But it seems like in Texas rural areas there are a lot of people who are eligible but don't want the shot. That leaves a lot of appointments untaken and the providers really want to give the shots. So they are vaccinating anyone who can finagle an appointment.
I have read that certain segments of the population don't want to get vaccinated. Struggling with that with some friends with whom I want to hang out but they aren't interested in getting vaccinated. I am hoping peer pressure (everyone is doing it!) will convince them. In the meantime, I am taking care of me and my family and living my best life!

My lunch group , most of whom are now retired (I’m the young one and still have a ways to go), we are all sharing when we get our shots and planning a get together when we are all covered. I’m getting my first shot tonight. You need multiple sources of influence to get people to change. I agree pressure is a good one to use!

Pressure may be one method but modeling is a better one, in my opinion. When others see those who are vaccinated and see the benefits and none of the problems that they may have heard about from those who provide disinformation then they are likely to scramble onto the modeled band wagon rather than the garbage put out by those with a very different agenda.

Peer pressure works to get conformity. Being forced seems to create resentment.

As @BernardSmith said what is the agenda of the folks who create new information. Tribal society had Mother Earth or the Gods on mount olympus, so looking for a world view seems natural to humans.
I use modeling at work and can measure every day if the model is working (AKA the formula in the PLC that runs the machines). I hate to say it but emotion seems to drive more folks than a stimulus -> response model. ,,, Peer pressure seems to work.

Even before the second dose, BNT162b2 was highly efficacious, with a vaccine efficacy of 92.6%, a finding similar to the first-dose efficacy of 92.1% reported for the mRNA-1273 vaccine (Moderna).3

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2036242
The second dose is about increasing antibody levels so they have a longer lasting effect. 'Statistically' you are better off after 2 weeks with either Phizer or Moderna than J&J.

I'm not advocating one over the other or being stupid about exposure. None are 100%.

Even before the second dose, BNT162b2 was highly efficacious, with a vaccine efficacy of 92.6%, a finding similar to the first-dose efficacy of 92.1% reported for the mRNA-1273 vaccine (Moderna).3

The second dose is about increasing antibody levels so they have a longer lasting effect. 'Statistically' you are better off after 2 weeks with either Phizer or Moderna than J&J.

I'm not advocating one over the other or being stupid about exposure. None are 100%.

There are different ways of looking at "effective". All 3 currently available vaccines, are nearly 100% at preventing hospitalization and death. So get what you can when you can. From a public heath perspective J&J has significant advantages. It's one shot, easy to store and administer and effective at 2 weeks.

It's hard for me, working in the field, to recommend one over the other. Get what you can as soon as you can. Let's put this whole thing in the rear view mirror. Disclaimer, I got the Pfizer vaccine in December and January. But if not, I'd take the J&J today. And the practicalities of one shot vs two are huge for a population based effort.

We went with whatever we could get as soon as we could get it. I've been working from home but my husband has to go into the office every couple of weeks. In the last month, 2 of his direct coworkers have gotten Covid. One posted pictures on FB about his vacation down south somewhere on a beach, came back into work (without quarantining), and a few days later tested positive. Luckily, they are required to wear masks in the building, because he was standing near and talking to my husband for a few minutes when he was most likely contagious. My husband got tested after that, just for peace of mind, not only for us but also because he helps out his 80 yr old mother (who wasn't fully vaccinated yet).

The other coworker has made questionable choices in the past (dinner party during the first lockdowns, then says he has to stay home because someone at his party tested positive the next day). I haven't heard how he and his wife think they got it, but I guess they were pretty sick for the last couple of weeks. Then he was planning to come into the building this week and several coworkers went to management and said they weren't comfortable with that, even with masks.

Long story short, I feel relief that we are mostly protected against the bad choices of others. The medical community will have better data as we go along so we'll know if we need booster shots, and I'm hopeful by then the vaccine supply will have caught up to the demand.

We got our 2nd Moderna jab 1 1/2 weeks ago. I little fever and soreness for about 24 hours. Good to go.

We are done unless a new vaccine resistant variant happens along. That's the biggest danger of all of these people making bad choices. Every time the virus is passed on, the chance of a serious mutation is increased. I hope we don't have to start over again.

I'm glad most on this forum seem to be in agreement about the seriousness of this virus and the importance of precautions. I know of other forums and groups that consider this subject "political" and will not even allow discussion.

There are different ways of looking at "effective".
Just passing along some info I found interesting while doing some research because my mother had a stroke and is in 'rehab'. They would treat my visits differently if I were "fully vaccinated" so the statistical anomoly between my 'paritial' status and the J&J 'full' status is a little less humorous right now. Still, even 99.9% isn't 100% and it would suck to be that .1%.

Got the first jab in Dec. At 71 still with the fire dept. Got it because of that. Second shot in Jan. Bit of a sore shoulder one day of not feeling quite right. Kathy is getting her second dose on Thursday. Hoping her reactions are small. Arne.

Latest posts

Back