Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are in the same boat. We missed our grand daughters 2nd birthday in early March. Normally we would be out for a visit every 3-4 months and its starting to feel like she is growing up in front of us on a phone video chat. Not the same as being there.

I'll be happy with something good enough to let me hug my grand daughters again.

My Covid began on March 14th and lasted until April 13th, then 21 more days under "house arrest." I was hospitalized for 13 day, 7 in ICU. When I left the hospital, I had about 60% of my lung capacity. I was terrified that my lungs would never heal.

Since then, my lungs have regained most of their function. My most recent CT scan showed most of the disease has "resolved itself." I have the anti-bodies, and I am considering donating my plasma. My pulmonologist has been able to fine tune the therapies they use in the hospital. He has not lost a patient in the last month. The current best practice has patients lying prone, high O2, high dose steroids for inflammatory response control, and convalescent plasma.

Since this virus is a member of common cold family of virii, it is unlikely we will get a vaccine that works for years. The virus mutates pretty rapidly too. I don't believe we will achieve herd immunity, but 99.5% of us will not have a severe case of complications either.

Deleted post was quoted here.

LOL, you haven't hurt my feelings, just aroused my distaste for intolerance. Whether you are right or wrong is immaterial, everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you can't let others have an opinion without feeling like theirs threatens "the health of myself, my family, friends and coworker", all the while offering exactly zero facts or evidence, perhaps your skin is a bit too thin. That poster is no more threat to your world than I am.

When someone has a different opinion, it's unhealthy, unproductive, and useless to hate, insult, and slander. This is a huge problem in our society today. Try to learn to let others have their opinion, disagree respectfully if you so choose, and realize that no one is out to get you.

Last edited by a moderator:
"When someone has a different opinion, it's unhealthy, unproductive, and useless to hate, insult, and slander. This is a huge problem in our society today. Try to learn to let others have their opinion, disagree respectfully if you so choose, and realize that no one is out to get you."

Well said John, the overwhelming respect that most people show each other here is one of the things I love about this site. There are plenty of sites where you can go to shout names at anyone who doesn't share your exact thoughts.
Thanks

I look at it this way .... the more people that get the virus, the closer we get to herd immunity. All the precautions taken from day one were only intended to slow the spread, not stop it. We have succeeded in slowing the spread to the point where health are facilities are not being overwhelmed. And that's all the masks, social distancing, etc. were intended to achieve.

Let's talk about herd immunity. It is not a simple concept, it turns out.

Let me preface this post by acknowledging that I have agreed (in this very thread!) with the notion that all we were trying to do was "flatten the curve." To allow us to manage the disease without overwhelming our healthcare system, and to buy us time to develop better therapeutics, and possibly a vaccine. And those things are very important! But we must think a little more carefully about herd immunity, and what it means in the context of a novel disease.

The definition of herd immunity really boils down to having a R0 (or some people write Rt) of less than one. That is, for every person that is infected, they go on to infect fewer than one more person on average. Under those conditions, the disease eventually dies out. If R0 > 1, the disease spreads.

But our behavior influences the value of R0. I suspect that most of us have been thinking about "herd immunity" only under the conditions that we lived life, say, last year. Under those conditions, estimates are that something like 70% of people had to have immunity to Covid to achieve R0 < 1. (I should note that we don't even know yet if people who recover from the disease gain immunity, or how long it lasts if they do, let alone whether a vaccine will be developed.)

However, under a different set of behaviors, the transmission rate is different. So mask-wearing, hand-washing, etc., are not just buying us time, they are altering the dynamics of the spread of the disease, that is, they are altering the threshold when "herd immunity" is achieved. Of course, the "herd" is a different herd than we are used to; our behaviors would be different. But we as a society could choose to be part of a herd where the disease doesn't spread as rapidly (at some social costs), and the herd immunity threshold is lower. Or we could choose to be part of a herd where the disease spreads rapidly, the threshold of herd immunity is much higher, and many more people are sickened or die.

Want to be convinced that the foregoing statements are true? With the framework discussed above in mind, compare these curves. I am not aware of any intrinsic differences between the US and the EU that would explain these different outcomes.

91-DIVOC-countries-normalized-EuropeanUnion.png

Last edited:
@sour_grapes
I think your post is correct. Your graph can be explained by the amount of tests being conducted in the US. For the data to be useful, I think age has to be accounted for. Younger than 40, your chance of death by Covid is drastically lower.

Paul,

Can you explain this part of the graph?

What happened in both the EU and US to cause that?
View attachment 63493

No, I cannot fully, but I can shed some light on it.

All of the data show a strong hebdomadal (weekly) variation, surely an artifact of human weekly activity cycles. Accordingly, showing a 1-week average is the best choice, as it exactly washes out this artifact. For both the US and the EU, there was a large, one-day increase in reported deaths. I do not know this, but I suspect that probably some batch of deaths was post-facto attributed to Covid. That spike then remains in the averaged record for exactly a week. Here are the underlying daily data, where you can see the one-day spikes:

91-DIVOC-countries-EuropeanUnion-2.png

Can I get a WMT mask to use during my quarantine????

Which do you prefer:

02-cocktail-masks-are-now-a-thing-b.jpg

gallery-1486676904-wine-face-mask-glass.png

Personally, I try to look at the situation very simplistically. According to the Johns Hopkins tracking, the following numbers are being reported:

Global Infections - 13,360,401 human beings 579,546 have died 4.34% death rate
US Infections - 3,434,636 human beings 136,463 have died 3.97% death rate

Number of viruses cured by humanity - none that I could find (cures, not vaccines or treatment regimens, cures)

Speculation is that it will take 12 - 18 months to develop a sound vaccine. Even when it is, some will get it, some will think it's a government conspiracy, or a left wing conspiracy, or a right wine conspiracy, or a violation of their rights, or aimed at some other target, and won't partake. This virus will be around for quite some time to come.

I live in Louisiana, early in cases and pretty hard hit. We were early on the state government mandated shutdown, social distancing, etc. train. Within a few weeks, the downward trend in new infections was evident, despite increased testing. Conclusion: Washing your hands, staying away from places and people who may be infected drastically changes the rate at which the disease spreads. We flattened the curve. Not rocket science.

When we went into Phase I, opened most businesses, low capacities at restaurants, etc., cases increased lightly, but were manageable, those who still limited their activities, practiced social distancing and personal cleanliness did fine.

Phase II doubled the capacities in restaurants, and worst of all, opened bars. Since then, we've seen skyrocketing cases, the majority of them in 18 - 40 year olds, and hospitalizations increasing at an alarming rate. The young folks aren't getting terribly ill, but they're bringing the virus home to older folks who, statistically, have more serious issues. One region of our state is nearing hospital capacity. Our governor issued a mandatory facemask policy this past Saturday. You'd think he ordered mass sterilizations from all of the uproar. We'll see in a few weeks if it indeed helps. I choose to comply.

Personally, I don't put my family at risk. We don't partake in high risk activities, we cancelled our annual family trip to Florida, we don't eat at restaurants, we wear masks when we (rarely) go in public places around other people. All of our parents are in their 70's and still alive, we'd like it to stay that way. This is our choice. If it provides one break in the transmission chain that saves one life, whether it's someone I know or not, it's worth the effort to me.

No one has to do what I do, some do more, some do less. Some don't care because they think they won't get really ill. Some want to pass laws to make everyone do what they think is right. Some want no rules so we can get it over with quickly. I have no disdain for anyone who handles this or any other situation differently than me, whether I agree or not. Avoiding a few things I like to do, slopping a little hand sanitizer on and wearing a mask occasionally just isn't that big of a sacrifice for me, there are lots of other things I've learned to enjoy in the interim.

In the end, in this country, for the most part, we are pretty free to do what we like. Freedom runs rampant in this great land of ours, and I thank God for that. It will probably prolong our exit from this situation.

Off my soap box. Stay safe, make and drink wine, and be smart. Cheers!!

Paul,

Can you explain this part of the graph?

What happened in both the EU and US to cause that?
View attachment 63493

I tracked down the US spike. On that day (June 25), New Jersey reported ~1800 cases that previously had been deemed as "probable" Covid cases as Covid cases. I don't know the origin of the EU spike, but I imagine it was something similar.

Now that it is known that asymptomatic people can spread the disease it should be a wake up call to everyone. This surprising development really changed the dynamic about what we collectively understood about the disease. This isn't hard and making a political football/statement out of this is just simply mind boggling.

But, let's look at what kind of things we are up against. True story explaining to a customer why their refrigerator doesn't work the way she expects it to. Me after getting nowhere after 10 minutes of trying to explain the how and why and then finally:

Me: That would violate the laws of physics.
Customer: God damned government ruins everything.
THAT she accepted so I scooted. People make up in their minds what they WANT to be true and will manage to find others to help them cement that into 'fact'. Social media has only made it worse. Far worse in some cases.

Coronavirus updates: CDC chief says masks could halt outbreak in 4-6 weeks;

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...a-vaccine-best-buy-requires-masks/5436928002/

True story from this last weekend about people believing what they choose to believe. A friend of my wife's who's not too bright, but also not a dumb-dumb, read or heard an antidotal story about 5 girls who attended a party where there were Covid infected guests. Three of the girls smoked pot while two did not. The 2 who didn't became infected while the other 3 did not. My wife's friend is now convinced pot will keep you from catching the virus (she had never smoked in the past) and had her husband round some up so she could smoke a joint in order to be safer. At least she is still continuing to follow the standard guidelines strictly which, if she continues to be virus free, will probably only convince her more that the pot protected her.

It's going to be hard to keep a straight face whenever I see her face to face in the future, especially if she brings this up in anyway.

Latest posts

Back