Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well our daughter is officially quarantined and scared and angry and pissed. She's an assistant manager at a restaurant and had a manager living with family members who were exposed. The manager kept going into work without telling anyone. Her family members then tested positive and this manager still went to work until finally being contacted by the local health department, tested, found to be positive and then quarantined. In the mean time Emma has followed all guidelines religiously and is probably not infected. She went to be tested today and was told to just go home and isolate for 14 days. If symptoms show they will test her, if not they won't. Does not seem like much of a help to us. In the mean time she has a 4 year old baby and a husband that she worries she could have exposed because of the actions of this manager. In addition there are all of the other employees and patrons that visited when that manager was on duty. We have to assume and hope that the masking and sanitizing rules in effect at the restaurant minimized the chances but will have to wait and see.

So, in this case, a N95 would have made me, my wife, our daughter and her entire family feel much safer than an AR15.

Mike
Kraffty, so sorry to hear about your daughter: all because of someone else's inconsideration and selfishness!! The restaurant should FIRE that manager!

Don't be sorry. While the numbers may not be 98.5% risk reduction, there certainly IS risk reduction if all wear masks. This is particularly true for those infected to stop as many droplets as possible from circulating. This video is fascinating and shows what happens when people simply gather and talk to each other. Bottom line - wear masks, distance and spend less time indoors where the air is stagnant.

FYI . . . on the good news front, the number of deaths reported in the US has dropped to levels we haven't seen since before April 1. While new infections per day continue on a flat trend and active cases is still slowly rising, lives are being saved.

US-deaths-per-day-05-25.jpg

Krafty,

I am sorry about your daughter and family. I think a firing is not enough for people who know that they have COVID-19 and do not pass on that information to others that they are potentially infecting. For HIV there were reckless endangerment and attempted murder laws to people who knowingly transmitted HIV. I don't see the difference with Covid-19 until we have a cure

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law/states/exposure.html

So at the risk of continuing my rant, can someone explain in a way that makes sense, why testing is so important. Even though the health dept. didn't want to test our daughter in Eau Clair she went ahead and got tested on her own this morning. She'll have results in 24 to 48 hours. Now here's where my confusion over testing kicks in. I asked if she tests negative can she go back to work (skip 14 day quarantine) and the answer is no. I guess you can test and have it but maybe in incubation stage or false negative.

I'm in favor of just about anything we can do in hopes of slowing this thing until they come up with a vaccination but unless you're showing symptoms I don't see how testing adds any really useful information.

Mike

Testing is critical so you can track cases and isolate and slow the continued spread. Without testing you can't slow the spread so it just continues to blow up unhindered by any means of isolation or quarantine. Many places seeing Covid-19 transmission are following an exponential growth trajectory. That is, the rate of the spread of the infection is proportional to the number of people infected. Each infected person is expected to infect a certain number of people — around 2.5 right now — who each in turn go on to infect 2.5 more, and on and on, unless drastic measures are taken to reduce social contact and isolate the infected from others.

Think about counting doubles — 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and so on. How many times would you have to double to get to more than 1 million? 20. How many doubles to get to more than 16 million? 24.

So at the risk of continuing my rant, can someone explain in a way that makes sense, why testing is so important. Even though the health dept. didn't want to test our daughter in Eau Clair she went ahead and got tested on her own this morning. She'll have results in 24 to 48 hours. Now here's where my confusion over testing kicks in. I asked if she tests negative can she go back to work (skip 14 day quarantine) and the answer is no. I guess you can test and have it but maybe in incubation stage or false negative.

I'm in favor of just about anything we can do in hopes of slowing this thing until they come up with a vaccination but unless you're showing symptoms I don't see how testing adds any really useful information.

Mike

I guess the point I'm asking about is that based on Emma's test and assuming the result is neg. All they can tell for sure is that she may or may not have it. Otherwise they'd be able to tell her she needs to isolate or she can go back to work.

Maybe it's as simple as needing the positive result count to understand the effect to the population.
Mike

The more we test the more we learn about this virus as far as the transmission rate. Remember the test is not perfect and not always 100% reliable depending on the test type and how long it has been since you may have been exposed to the virus which makes this all even harder to figure out (with absolute certainty) but we still learn as we go. If she comes back negative you can breath a sigh of relief but I think it would be wise to continue to self quarantine and have a second test in a week. More data is almost always better than less data unless its garbage data and considering some of the struggles States are having trying to get testing kits and supplies all we can do is hope we are getting better and more accurate results as time goes by and not worse. I saw where WA State received a delivery of what was supposed to be nasal test swabs for COVID-19 from the federal government a few weeks back and what they were sent was a jumbo package of Q-Tips. You can't use a Q-Tip as a nasal swab for this virus........

Thanks for trying patiently to clarify the basic reasoning for me Mike. It just becomes so much less statistical when it's closer to home. We're confident she doesn't have it, and if she did, she's in the group that would probably have minimal effects from it but Mama Bear get riled up and then the whole sleuth get their hackles up.

Thanks again,
Mike

Thanks for trying patiently to clarify the basic reasoning for me Mike. It just becomes so much less statistical when it's closer to home. We're confident she doesn't have it, and if she did, she's in the group that would probably have minimal effects from it but Mama Bear get riled up and then the whole sleuth get their hackles up.

Thanks again,
Mike

But EXCELLENT casual use of "sleuth," even in the midst of your troubles! 👍

Krafty,

I am sorry about your daughter and family. I think a firing is not enough for people who know that they have COVID-19 and do not pass on that information to others that they are potentially infecting. For HIV there were reckless endangerment and attempted murder laws to people who knowingly transmitted HIV. I don't see the difference with Covid-19 until we have a cure

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law/states/exposure.html
Zebra, I thoroughly agree with you!

Attached is a meta analysis study on the use of face masks. A meta analysis study is a study that reviews all previously studies and outcomes. It is used to determine the common outcomes of all the various studies. Single studies can be skewed by single institution, Lab environment, OR environment, Asia and US (facial charatistics) etc... As you will see there is a statical benefit for using masks.....

"The risk of influenza, SARS, and COVID-19 infection were reduced by 45%, 74%, and 96% by wearing masks, respectively, which were consistent with previous meta-analyses during the SARS outbreaks"

"for non-healthcare populations, reduced risk of 54% was found in western countries, and a reduced risk of 49% was found in Asia."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1477893920302301?via=ihub

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S1477893920302301-main.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Better to be safe than sorry,an ounce of prevention is with a pound of cure, any others?

Weird visit to the big box lumber.
Am needing to replace a plain Jane 18 cf fridge in a rental. They had a run on 18 fridges in March and have not gotten restocked. This is turning out harder to fix, last time it was drive up to door 6 and load one.

Yep, when the meat/frozen foods hoarding started people went out and snapped up all the inexpensive freezers and refrigerators in all the big box stores. The supply chain from China is still almost at a standstill.

They had a run on 18 fridges in March and have not gotten restocked.

Weird visit to the big box lumber.
Am needing to replace a plain Jane 18 cf fridge in a rental. They had a run on 18 fridges in March and have not gotten restocked. This is turning out harder to fix, last time it was drive up to door 6 and load one.

My bonus son and daughter had to replace a fridge last month, the one they had just died. Big box stores said 3 to 6 weeks and they wouldn't give them a definitive time. They ended up going to the local scratch and dent selling place, got a slightly smaller fridge, with a minor scratch on the back for a very good price, delivered the next day. Might be a place for you to look.

Latest posts

Back