Other Cornucopia 2 kits we love SALE priced on Amazon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really surprised by the taste of the Coconut Frascati. It does not have the strong sweet overpowering coconut flavor that I was expecting. Rather it is a very light taste that you sense more after swallowing the wine. The Frascati half of this seems to be a very light refreshing white wine, as refreshing as pineapple. When mixed with the coconut, I cannot help but think of this drink as a Pina Colada lite. It probably has a similar ABV (w/ 4 lbs of sugar added to the primary) but maybe not the viscosity and perhaps not the calorie content (I can only hope). Still not sure how I like it best. Cold, for sure. Ice or no ice, not sure yet. I just know that I like it cold and without much ice melt dilution. Much nicer on a hot summer afternoon than one of my heavy reds and even my IM Blueberry Pinot Noir. It is a bit more refreshing (and less acidic) than my Skeeter Pee and my Twisted Mist Hard Lemonade.

Did I mention that I like this? Thank you Sammy for the suggestion.

No, it was almost 60 days before we had time to bottle. It will last awhile because we have so many other wines to choose from that are ready. Sipping plum wine from 2011 as I type and reading the forum.

I may have to buy 2 kits so that I can age a small part of 1 of them for at least 60 days.

Seriously, does this actually get B E T T E R with age?

Yes it does get better with age! As I mentioned, I turned around and bought a 2nd kit because everyone loves it.

is the label thats suppose to come with it?

100_0849-2326.jpg

any others you highly recommend besides the coconut and strawberry? it looks like they are all currently on sale for $40 or less with subscribe and save. any that would be good kegged and carbed?

I just purchased the Coconut Frascati kit. I've never heard of the yeast strain included in the kit. Do any of you have a problem fermenting to dry if adding sugar up front using the included yeast or do you use another yeast strain?

I believe my Coconut Frascati came with EC-1118, although the label was obscured with a kit mfgr's label. I peeled back the mfgr's label until I could see the '118'. Fermented down to .990.

After reading this thread, I am considering ordering this for a nice warm weather drink next summer. Two questions, has anyone ever aged it beyond say 9 months? And, has anyone ever added fresh pineapple chunks to the must?

Sammy,
Most of my Coconut Frascati is gone and it has only been 30 days since adding the fpak. I am trying to save a gallon for a trip south in the winter. I don't care if you will pay shipping, you are not getting my Coconut Frascati. :)

LoneStarLori:
I had considered adding pineapple pre and post fermentation but wanted to see how it tasted first by following the kit instructions and adding 4 lbs of sugar to the ferment. Based on the results, I do not think that I would add any pineapple to the ferment. The coconut flavor is very light and the Frascati is also a very light wine. I find that adding a very, very small amount of pineapple juice to a glass of this wine almost masks the coconut flavor. It tastes great like that but most of the time we drink it without the pineapple. Everyone who drinks it has commented that it is a "pina colada lite" drink, even without any pineapple addition.

Another thought is making some pineapple wine and blending it with this but I have never made pineapple wine and do not know what it tastes like.

Geek was trying it with pineapple juice in the ferment and I am curious how it turned out.

Thanks Chris. I'm going to order some and I think I'll add a few dried pineapple in the secondary if I don't taste the pineapple enough to my liking. Just for a little more body. I am currently doing this with a Mezza Luna white by using raisins and was amazed at how it added to the flavor already. I would like it to be more pineapple-ly than it probably is. I'll be watching Geek too.

Here is photo the diary of the Mezza Luna so far:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f61/almond-wine-9155/index21.html#post445464

I never added the pineapple in primary, got very busy and was out of town (long story).
But I bottled mine like 2~3 weeks ago and brought a liter to a party as a gift but they didnt open it until after I left.
Next morning I had a feedback that they really loved this coconut....
and I haven't even tasted it yet....:p

we're loving it ... also added 4 lbs sugar to primary ... haven't tried it with pineapple either ... although with a splash of club soda it's amazing ... of course also amazing by itself. if not careful it's really easy to down a whole bottle!!

Let see.... one hasn't tasted it and the other is drinking it for breakfast. :)
I GOTTA have this now. I'll let you know about the pineapple. I know fresh pineapple will add to the sugar. Not sure if the dried will do much. Although eating them dried is a lot sweeter than fresh. I'll probably add sugar up front and dries in the secondary after the fermentation.

I was fairly sure that anyone who made it would love it too. It IS very easy to down an entire bottle at a time. Now we ration out the bottles. Have to be very high on our "list" to even get a bottle. LOL!

Latest posts

Back