Other Cornucopia 2 kits we love SALE priced on Amazon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
derunner As per my call to Amazon, they are a shipper for Amazon. From the conversation Amazon will pay certain companies to ship for them. The original kits I bought were shipped by Amazon. When I looked at Wiseup Electronics they ship lots of different things and my guess is that they have a large warehouse. It may be cheaper for Amazon to pay someone to ship for them then for them to ship. I am not worried because I received tracking that my 2 kits did ship. And if you have bought anything on Amazon you know that they stand behind everything sold 100%.

One kit arrived and it was obvious it had leaked because both the outside and inside box were stained with juice. They replaced it and told me to keep the damaged one.

I did ask the rep about the .02 and .04 cost and the shipping price that was inflated and they did not have any answer except it was legit. So yes I was skeptical.

The Black Current Cabernet Sauvignon and the Blush Melon Zinfandel Blush are also on sale...is the end of the cornucopia kits on amazon?

Hey Sammy, we pitched the raspberry merlot earlier today. I inverted 8c of sugar and when all was done, the bobber popped at 1.080. I've never worked with an fpac before. I was impressed with the volume of juice to be added later.

BC

Thanks for asking SammyK. I took a suggestion from one of your earlier posts and stirred the must, tonight, at day three of primary. I'm not sure why I tight lid/air locked the batch but I did. Before stirring, the airlock was firing off salvos of 10-12 air bubbles every 20 count. Within an hour after stirring the same bubble pattern was happening every 7 count. The kit came with EC-1118 yeast, which I used. The juice for primary was fairly syrup like, not as "nice" as the WE kits I've done. I thought adding nutrient but just oxygenated instead. So far so good, looking forward to tasting and reporting back.

Bill C.

Just received it. Need to go out and get some spring water and sugar. Hopefully I will be starting it today.

edited 7/18/2013: started it 7/18/2013: heated 8.5 cups sugar (+bentonite) in 2 gallons water; added juice + water to 21 liters; put ice cubes in sanitized zip lock bag and dumped it in to cool off. Went down to 72F. SG = 1.09. Pitched yeast.

Last edited:
Mine hasn't arrived yet either, going on 2 weeks now. The tracking shows it left California about 3 days ago, must be shipped in someone's backpack.

May have screwed up

Day 5 of primary today and the 'ol bobber read 1.012, I snuck a taste off of the hydrometer and, as expected, a little sweet. There was a nice fermentation fizz but I just had to intervene. I stirred then added about 3tsp of yeast nutrient. All of a sudden there was a big fizz in the center of the bucket then nothing. It was as if I shot it dead and it spontaneously degassed. That was a couple of hours ago and still nothin'. My tentative plan is to add another packet of EC-1118 in the morning if it's still flat.

As an update, fermentation had restarted this morning but not enough to bubble the airlock. At any rate I was at target SG so I transferred to secondary. The instructions said to stir in more oxygen so while vacuum racking I lifted the cane out of the primary bucket about half way through. This sent plenty of room air through the must in the receiving carboy. Now, several hours later the airlock is bubbling along at a fairly steady clip.

Finally got mine today took 10 days they shipped it past me 3 times to get to me :-/ CA to MD to NC to dallas TX then to Mansfield LA 20 miles back the other side of me package looked like it been kicked down 2 flights of stairs . But oh well going to get it started tomorrow.

Oh I got the coconut btw :)

looks like USPS is crazy, tracking shows it was out for delivery since Thrusday, and now went back to MA......wtf?

Target was 1.020-1.010. It was my own fault for not paying attention to the directions. Anyway I'm getting about 1 bubble/second in the secondary's air lock. At the very least I'm pretty confident it will ferment to dry which was my concern.

Two thoughts: I may have reached to point of "knowing enough to be dangerous" and "Don't drink pee while making pee."

cimbaliw
you need to ferment to dry (at least .99) or it will be way too sweet once you add the fpack. When you add sugar up front you cannot follow the directions from the manufacturer!

Also if you don't add the entire fpack you will not have the full flavor of the wine.

Whip it to see if you can get it going again. That will add some oxygen.

Back