corn syrup/sugar equivelents

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Having a hard time finding corn sugar here. If I wanted to use corn syrup, which I CAN get, does anyone have a rough equivelent. For example instead of using 5# of sugar, how much corn syrup would equal 5#? Years ago my Dad made his "hobo" wine. He used 2 gallons of apple cider and 1 pint of corn syrup, have no idea about SG or any of that at the time and really don't remember exactly how it turned out. So does 1 pint to 2 gallons sound about right?

As always, thanks for your input.
Troy

and are there differnt types of light corn syrup.Don't want to buy more than I'll need right now for a 5 gal batch

You can use plain old table sugar (sucrose) to adjust the SG of your must. Just be sure that it is COMPLETELY dissolved in some must before adding it to the rest of the batch... there should be no granules or sludge left on the bottom of the container you dissolve it in. If I remember correctly, 17.9 g/L is the amount necessary to increase the potential alcohol by one percent. 1 tsp equals approx 5 grams of table sugar. There is alot of incorrect info about how you can't use table sugar for chaptalization, but that is not the case... sucrose when dissolved in juice disassociates into d-glucose and d-fructose which are the naturally prevalent sugars in fruit juice and are easily fermented by wine yeasts.

I've always used just plain old sugar with no bad results. I've been hearing alot about corn sugar, but quite frankly, I'd rather stic with what I know will work. And well, sugar is "sticky"(heehee)
Troy

Back