Corn Sugar -v- Cane

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjowers

Junior
Reaction score
When substituting corn sugar for cane sugar in a recipe, do you use the same amounts? I'm told the corn sugar mixes better and makes for a better end result, but is there any difference in the taste? Is it sweeter, not as sweet, or about the same as cane sugar?

Well, our standard advice around here would be NOT to simply follow a recipe. Instead, decide how much alcohol you would like your final product to contain, figure out from that the desired starting specific gravity (SG), and then add as much sugar (of any sort) to get to that number.

BTW, yeast are able to ferment corn sugar (AKA dextrose or glucose) more easily than cane sugar (sucrose).

I think I see where you're going. Just keep adding sugar (of whatever kind I have) in small increments until the SG is where I want it to be. Simple enough. I was over thinking it. Thanks.

I was over thinking it.
I disagree. You're in a new endeavor with (yet) relatively little knowledge, so thinking things through is a good thing. Will you overthink things? Absolutely! But until you know more, you don't know if you are overthinking or not.

Keep thinking and asking questions!

Latest posts

Back