Corn Cob Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to do it!
Used 14 corn cobs, corn from the garden. Simmered the cobs then removed but didn't strain when cool.
There's sugar in them thar cobs - SG was 1.020 before adding sugar.

Transferred to secondary this morning....and again I am shocked, surprised, and pleased.
No, it doesn't taste like the Heartland. No corn flavor at all. More tropical. Yes, tropical. Crazy. And it's not thin at all, which surprised me.

What the heck am I going to do for an encore?

corn 1.jpgcorn 2.jpg corn 3.jpg

corn 4.jpg

Dirt wine?

I still haven't figured out if you're my hero or if you're the winemaking equivalent of Dr. Frankenstein .... 🤣

Although being both is a definite possibility!
Our forefathers never wasted anything and from a modern perspective it's easy to think "Oh, they must have been desperate." They wouldn't do it if it tasted bad. Intelligent and resourceful people to be sure.

Dirt wine haunts me, an itch I can't quite reach.

Our forefathers never wasted anything and from a modern perspective it's easy to think "Oh, they must have been desperate." They wouldn't do it if it tasted bad. Intelligent and resourceful people to be sure.
My father was born before the Great Depression and grew up on a farm on the Tug Hill plateau in NY. They wasted nothing, or as he said, "we used everything on the pig except the oink".

Until you posted it, I wouldn't think you'd get anything out of a corn cob, but I'm obviously proven wrong!

Dirt wine haunts me, an itch I can't quite reach.
I'm sure it will have an earthy aroma and flavor.

Racked this morning.
Again I am amazed by a wine made with what would have been composted or trashed.
Bone dry, .990, and we hit 13.2% ABV. Like with many of my country wines, the alcohol isn't very noticeable. And there's even a perception of a little sweetness. No, no corn flavor or aroma. I used acid blend but there's definitely citrus notes. I kept extraneous ingredients to a minimum because I was curious how it tasted by itself so only added 50 gr of raisins, but might go to 1/2 lb next time. Next time? Yes, I'll make this again next year.

corn cob.jpg

Well. I dunno what's in your backyard, but I like my kraut. It doesn't taste distinctly like cabbage. Often green apple comes through in mine with a broad sour tang. It has enough yeast and enzymes to ferment on its own... Without sugar!
I like my kraut, too, drag out the gartopf crock every year. Surely you can spare some for wine!

Racked this morning.
Again I am amazed by a wine made with what would have been composted or trashed.
Bone dry, .990, and we hit 13.2% ABV. Like with many of my country wines, the alcohol isn't very noticeable. And there's even a perception of a little sweetness. No, no corn flavor or aroma. I used acid blend but there's definitely citrus notes. I kept extraneous ingredients to a minimum because I was curious how it tasted by itself so only added 50 gr of raisins, but might go to 1/2 lb next time. Next time? Yes, I'll make this again next year.

View attachment 94419
You seem to have had success with just about every weird thing you've fermented. I started wondering what you're really getting from the ingredients you choose. I started thinking about water wine, aka sugar wine, aka kilju. I watched a video on youtube where they make kilju, but flavor it mojito style with lime and mint. It struck me that they're not making kiju as much as they're making mojito wine. Have you thought of doing a "control" ferment to see what flavors these things are adding? I suggest, if you haven't already done it, that you make a water wine. You may have all the ingredients on hand already.;) It may sound silly, but maybe even try a couple of different yeasts?

You seem to have had success with just about every weird thing you've fermented. I started wondering what you're really getting from the ingredients you choose. I started thinking about water wine, aka sugar wine, aka kilju. I watched a video on youtube where they make kilju, but flavor it mojito style with lime and mint. It struck me that they're not making kiju as much as they're making mojito wine. Have you thought of doing a "control" ferment to see what flavors these things are adding? I suggest, if you haven't already done it, that you make a water wine. You may have all the ingredients on hand already.;) It may sound silly, but maybe even try a couple of different yeasts?
Yes, I've been very fortunate with my results and I'm grateful. It would be presumptuous to call it skill. I have books, I search and read the forums (a lot), I have books, and I research my main ingredient before I start. I do the homework and keep my fingers crossed. Let's face it, wine making isn't complicated.

Actually sugar wine is on my list for the exact reasons you mention. I'm very curious how a bare bones no frill wine would taste. Ground zero, a benchmark, the alpha, the fountainhead, square one, the baseline. Unfortunately I desperately need to make room in my freezers for actual food. I'll do it in a month or two, probably before prison hooch.

And I don't think I've done anything weird. :h

Yet.

Yes, I've been very fortunate with my results and I'm grateful. It would be presumptuous to call it skill. I have books, I search and read the forums (a lot), I have books, and I research my main ingredient before I start. I do the homework and keep my fingers crossed. Let's face it, wine making isn't complicated.

Actually sugar wine is on my list for the exact reasons you mention. I'm very curious how a bare bones no frill wine would taste. Ground zero, a benchmark, the alpha, the fountainhead, square one, the baseline. Unfortunately I desperately need to make room in my freezers for actual food. I'll do it in a month or two, probably before prison hooch.

And I don't think I've done anything weird. :h

Yet.

Any update on your dirt wine? 😀

Emphasis mine. Planning and forethought are key elements in making good wine. Winging it can work, but it's not consistent.

Latest posts

Back