Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nesmith

Reaction score
looking to buy some corks. Not going to bottle for months I just like to be prepared. I see #8 and #9 corks. Not sure which cork to use or if it matters. I was looking at the 4 to 6 year corks on Label Peelers and they are a #9. Would those be a good cork to use?

Definitely #9. I use both the 9 1 3/4 with the natural cork ends and the nomacorc 9 1 1/2 depending on how I plan to store them.

I used the Label Peelers #9 1-3/4" premium corks and they seemed to be of good quality. They are rated for 4-6 years of storage but they are definitely hard to insert, even with a floor corker.
Nowadays I use NomaCorks exclusively. They are rated at 10+ years of storage, I can store the bottles upright if I need to (no need to wet the cork on the inside) and they seem easier to insert. Plus when opening a bottle of wine I don't get the cork crumbs, as with natural corks. I don't care much about the extended micro oxidation once the wine is in the bottle. I would rather be at peace knowing that the wine is hermetically sealed in the bottle and decant every time I open one, than the alternative. There are pros and cons for each type of cork, but to me simplicity and peace of mind is key.

I used to the 3-piece corks from Label Peelers (that is the natural cork end caps and an agglomerated middle) but lately I have been having trouble with them. They seems different than 3 piece types I had used in the past, coming apart at the joints between the natural end caps and the agglomerated center, breaking up when uncorking a bottle, etc. I recently bought the Nomacorcs but I have not tried them yet. I was a little disappointed that they were 1.5 inch rather than the 1.75 inch I had used in the past but if they seal and last as well as advertised, probably no issue.

Nomacorc (https://www.vinventions.com/en-us/) is the best brand of synthetic corks that I know. I've heard of other brands having some problems, but I never heard of, or experienced any problems with Nomacorcs myself. It's your choice what type of bottle closure you'll use and there will always be pros and cons for anything. I like Nomacorcs and use them exclusively, but if you'd feel better using a natural type cork, go for it.
Here is an interesting article about Nomacorc, that I found recently on the internet: https://winemakersacademy.com/synthetic-corks/

Latest posts

Back