Corks vs. screwtop bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a screw cap loses almost all the 02 in it in the first 3 months. meaning there is very little aging after that.

This is probably true for mainstream screw caps we see, but I recall an article which showed a screw cap liner with multiple layers that would allow microoxidation similar to corks. With technological advances being what they are today, no doubt this has been or is achievable. This will likely be argued for years to come but will probably not greatly impact home vintners for some time.
I,too, like a cork, although if a screw cap was available for me to use, I would try it.

a screw cap loses almost all the 02 in it in the first 3 months. meaning there is very little aging after that.

This is probably true for mainstream screw caps we see, but I recall an article which showed a screw cap liner with multiple layers that would allow microoxidation similar to corks.

nice. i guess it has the best of both worlds there. :r

Wine companies across the country (US) are slowly but surely making the jump to screw caps.

Reason being is less oxidization and pressure placed on the vineyards from the on-premise customers. There is nothing worse than opening a bottle of wine only to find out it has gone bad from cork taint. Or even worse for an operator of a dining establishment to lose a bottle of expensive wine due to the carelessness (or inexperience) of a server or bartender that breaks the cork.

While, screw caps do still carry an image of cheap wine this is will dissapear in the next few years when more and more vineyards introduce their wine in screw caps. Of course the French and Italians are staying far away from this as there wine making process is so deep rooted in tradition. My advice is that if you can purchase a wine in a screwcap do it...especially if you are not going to drink it in one sitting. I look forward to the day that I can bottle my home wine in screw caps.

Latest posts

Back