corks to old?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
Hello all somewhere between 4 and 9 years ago I bought some corks used what I needed kept the rest in the bag with a twist tie on it. Are these corks still good to use? Thank y'all.

Johnd,

What do you think a reasonable shelf life is for a cork? And what would be the key factors that would cause it to deteriorate?

I agree that 4-9 years seems a long time to hold on to them. Just wondering what people think the limit really is.

It probably depends on how they are stored. I get mine 1000 at a time, split them into about 100, add a wee bit of potassium metabisulphite to each package, like a pinch or two, no actual measurement. Then vacuum seal them back up and store in my basement until used, but I use up that 1000 in a year. I would think 2 years might be getting near the limit. I am sure there has been some scientific study applied to this issue.

It probably depends on how they are stored. I get mine 1000 at a time, split them into about 100, add a wee bit of potassium metabisulphite to each package, like a pinch or two, no actual measurement. Then vacuum seal them back up and store in my basement until used, but I use up that 1000 in a year. I would think 2 years might be getting near the limit. I am sure there has been some scientific study applied to this issue.

1000 bottles a year, I'd like to see your cellar.:eek:

1000 bottles a year, I'd like to see your cellar.:eek:

What about synthetics? I'm guessing they would last longer, yes?

BTW, guess I was lucky because I've used amalgamate corks that were 3-4 years old with no issues of which I'm aware.

I too buy 1,000 at a time and use around 750. Like @cmason1957 I will throw a little SO2 in a bag, give it a good shake and use the corks through-out the year, until I buy the next year's batch. So, I guess I am comfortable with keeping them for a year with proper storage, but I wouldn't feel the same with corks that are 4+ years old.

Johnd,

What do you think a reasonable shelf life is for a cork? And what would be the key factors that would cause it to deteriorate?

I agree that 4-9 years seems a long time to hold on to them. Just wondering what people think the limit really is.

I manage mine the same as @cmason1957 , and use them up in two years, still supple, and never a problem. Storing in environments that are overly dry, humid, hot, or cold could degrade them quicker, just like bottle storage. The better the cork, the longer they last in bottle and storage, synthetics excluded.

Last edited:
I just happen to have a photo of part of my winemakers area and then of part of the racks my wife and I have. There are also about 150 bottles under the basement steps.

If my wife asks, we are slowing down how much we make. [emoji23][emoji16][emoji6]

View attachment 46319View attachment 46320

I really like seeing photos of those with elegant wine rooms. But like yours mine is strictly functional and still a work in progress. I don't have the luxury of space for doing it at home so everything is at my shop.

I manage mine the same as @cmason1957 , and use them up in two years, still supple, and never a problem. Storing in environments that are overly dry, humid, hot, or cold could degrade them quicker, just like bottle storage. The better the cork, the longer they last in bottle and storage, synthetics excluded.

I recently took delivery of my 2nd order of 1,000. After a couple years, the first batch started to go a bit. With this order, I broke it up into batches of 100 and sealed them in Foodsaver bags. Hoping this will prove better.

I recently took delivery of my 2nd order of 1,000. After a couple years, the first batch started to go a bit. With this order, I broke it up into batches of 100 and sealed them in Foodsaver bags. Hoping this will prove better.

I’m in the same boat, bout to order my second 1000, probably in two bags from Lafitte. Saw Lafitte boxes and bags in several wineries this week, theirs were in bags of 500, so I’m pretty sure they’ll do it.

I’m in the same boat, bout to order my second 1000, probably in two bags from Lafitte. Saw Lafitte boxes and bags in several wineries this week, theirs were in bags of 500, so I’m pretty sure they’ll do it.

My first order came in two bags. This last one was in one.

Back