Corks not going into bottle all the way

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jal5

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am at my daughter's home and tried to bottle some wine we made together using a hand corker but some of these bottles didn't allow the cork to go in all the way and sit above the neck- six bottles. Would it be better to pull these corks when I get home and use my Portuguese corker on new corks or try to reseat the original corks with the Portuguese corker? I am leaning towards just pulling them but is there any reason not to try the other way first?
Joe

if extended into the bottle at least 3/4 inch just cut corks off level with top of bottle. If a white or fruit wine I doubt if wine will be long aging so cork depth will not be risky.

Since the corks have been in for a bit and have expanded back out, it may be difficult to push them in further with your floor corker, depending upon the cork type. You may find that the plunger will only dent them unless they’re really stiff. I keep a 6” length of wooed dowel around for this purpose, as every so often I don’t get a cork seated properly, usually when I’m going too fast. The dowel should be sized to just barely fit inside the bottle neck, and will give you more surface contact with the cork, avoiding denting it. With the dowel centered on the cork, bottle on a wooden surface, just lightly tap the dowel with a rubber mallet til the cork is seated.

I had this problem in the pass it was the corks being an inferior quality,went back to my usual vendor, LD Carson no problems.
Doesn't have to be your device.jusy a thought.

Good suggestions all. These corks worked fine in another bottling effort using the Portuguese corker. The two hand corker just didn’t seem to be able to seat them far enough down this time. Maybe 1/4 inch above the top of the bottle. White wine that i want to age another 6-9 months. I can try the dowel trick first.

I always try to use a 1 3/4" cork. (The Nomacorcs I just received are only 9 1/2" but there is no problem inserting them with my Italian corker.) If the cork does not seat completely, there is still enough contact to ensure that that the wine is protected and I am no worse off than if I had used a 1 1/2" cork. Aesthetically, they suffer and they are marked for internal use and early drinking. If the corks does not seat by more than 1/4" I remove it and re-cork.

I had a leaky bottling wand and didn’t notice it one time, slightly overfilled my bottles and the corks wouldn’t go all the way down until i poured a little wine out.

Another option is to wax these bottles to prevent CO2 ingress. Additionally you can "hide" any mistakes with the original cork using this method.

Use the floor corker and press them in a little further when you get home. Wet them a little and press them down.

I normally just flip the bottle so the cork is on the counter and push down, works well to get the corks flush

Another problem is that not all bottle necks are 100% the same. I use an Italian floor corker and don't have problems putting a cork in ANY bottle, but prior to that I had occasional problems with a double-lever corker.

If a bottle proves to be a problem, I put it in the "wine to give away" category and don't worry if I get the bottle back ....

I was going to post the same issue, but searched and found this thread.
I didn't know if it was a problem with the corks, corker, or corkage technique.
Corker and corks.

IMG_20200804_192450726.jpg
IMG_20200804_192524185.jpg

@Encino Stan, what kind of corker are you using?

My floor corker is adjustable. I set it to put corks at the correct depth, and have had to adjust it with different types of corks. I seem to recall that my double-lever corker (given away long ago) was also adjustable.

Without knowing more, my first guess is your corker is not set to the right level.

@Encino Stan, what kind of corker are you using?

My floor corker is adjustable. I set it to put corks at the correct depth, and have had to adjust it with different types of corks. I seem to recall that my double-lever corker (given away long ago) was also adjustable.

Without knowing more, my first guess is your corker is not set to the right level.
Corker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=forumyield-20
and corks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=forumyield-20.

Corker description claims "Adjustable plunger depth", but don't see how to change.

How much space are you allowing between cork and wine in the bottle? If not enough space you are compressing
the air and cork won't go in all the way.

Bill

Latest posts

Back