Corks not going into bottle all the way

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Jal5

Reaction score
I am at my daughter's home and tried to bottle some wine we made together using a hand corker but some of these bottles didn't allow the cork to go in all the way and sit above the neck- six bottles. Would it be better to pull these corks when I get home and use my Portuguese corker on new corks or try to reseat the original corks with the Portuguese corker? I am leaning towards just pulling them but is there any reason not to try the other way first?
Joe

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
if extended into the bottle at least 3/4 inch just cut corks off level with top of bottle. If a white or fruit wine I doubt if wine will be long aging so cork depth will not be risky.

Johnd

Sanitized Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Since the corks have been in for a bit and have expanded back out, it may be difficult to push them in further with your floor corker, depending upon the cork type. You may find that the plunger will only dent them unless they’re really stiff. I keep a 6” length of wooed dowel around for this purpose, as every so often I don’t get a cork seated properly, usually when I’m going too fast. The dowel should be sized to just barely fit inside the bottle neck, and will give you more surface contact with the cork, avoiding denting it. With the dowel centered on the cork, bottle on a wooden surface, just lightly tap the dowel with a rubber mallet til the cork is seated.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
I had this problem in the pass it was the corks being an inferior quality,went back to my usual vendor, LD Carson no problems.
Doesn't have to be your device.jusy a thought.

Jal5

Reaction score
Good suggestions all. These corks worked fine in another bottling effort using the Portuguese corker. The two hand corker just didn’t seem to be able to seat them far enough down this time. Maybe 1/4 inch above the top of the bottle. White wine that i want to age another 6-9 months. I can try the dowel trick first.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I always try to use a 1 3/4" cork. (The Nomacorcs I just received are only 9 1/2" but there is no problem inserting them with my Italian corker.) If the cork does not seat completely, there is still enough contact to ensure that that the wine is protected and I am no worse off than if I had used a 1 1/2" cork. Aesthetically, they suffer and they are marked for internal use and early drinking. If the corks does not seat by more than 1/4" I remove it and re-cork.

WinoDave

Reaction score
I had a leaky bottling wand and didn’t notice it one time, slightly overfilled my bottles and the corks wouldn’t go all the way down until i poured a little wine out.

RParker@VDV

Junior
Reaction score
Another option is to wax these bottles to prevent CO2 ingress. Additionally you can "hide" any mistakes with the original cork using this method.