Corking/storing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tink

Junior
Reaction score
Is it a really bad idea to store wine upright when it's sealed with a cork? (even with the plastic-coated corks?) I haven't got a wine rack so was planning on just standing the wine up in a dark cupboard until I read that you shouldnt!

OK, now I'm even more confused! Have just read that you can't re-use screw-top bottles (which I've been saving) with corks as the glass is weaker at the top, argh!

What is the best way to store & seal wine without spending a lot of money? Is it really that bad to re-use screw-top bottles with screw tops instead of corks?! This would definitely be cheapest option for me.

IN my early years of wine making, I reused screw top bottles, even plastic soda bottles. Whatever I could grab for free. Wouldn't recommend it, but it worked. Still stored them on their side figuring if they leeked I'd notice it. I also dipped some of the screw tops in wax for " long them aging". You do what you have to do! Roy

Wine is stored on its side because real corks breathe, if you are storing them for a long time it helps to age the wine also if the wine is stored standing up for a LONG time the corks will dry out and will crumble as you try to take them out. I would not use screw top bottles to put corks in. Just look at the thickness of the neck of a corking bottle and a screw top bottle. If you are any type of scrounge bottles should be no problem. Ask family and friends to save wine bottles, stop at any place that does wine tasting and ask for empty bottles. Look on Craigslist

The risk of screw top bottles is that the glass is thinner, and is easier to break with the pressure from the cork. If you are willing to take the risk of loosing the bottle, and hurting yourself, then go for it. I would suggest using #8 corks since they are a little smaller than #9 corks. I would limit wine stored with #8 corks to 2 years at the most.

Natural cork does need to have the bottles stored on their side. The wine keeps the cork from trying out.

All synthetic corks, like Nomacorc, do not have to have bottles stored on their side.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on bottles, ask a local restaurant or bar that serves a lot of wine if you can take their used bottles. Recycle the screw tops, and resuse the cork bottles. Maybe they can show you where they throw them out, and you can stop by every day to pick up the empties.

I agree with all above. The biggest risk with screw tops is inserting or extracting the corks. Are you willing to have your wife or another person uncork one of your bottles and have the neck snap off causing possible injuries? Are you prepared for the liability of it?

As far as setting bottles upright. I agree with the answers above however, how long do bottles sit in warehouses and store shelves sitting upright? Sometimes for years. Something to ponder about.

OK, now I'm even more confused! Have just read that you can't re-use screw-top bottles (which I've been saving) with corks as the glass is weaker at the top, argh!

What is the best way to store & seal wine without spending a lot of money? Is it really that bad to re-use screw-top bottles with screw tops instead of corks?! This would definitely be cheapest option for me.

I agree with runningwolf. You can store wine standing upright provided that you are not storing the wine for a long period of time. As others have said, it is not the best way and wine really should be stored laying down.

My advice is to bite the bullet and get a corker and use corks. There are many varieties and different price ranges. If you do not mind doing a little work washing bottles, try getting bottles from your local recycling center.

I would also advise that you go to walmart and purchase a cheap milk crate. I have found that (when laying sideways) they make great wine racks.

I get lots of bottles from my local recycling center. We recycle plastic and when I go the the center to dump ours, I grab a few bottles each time.

Thanks everyone!

I agree with runningwolf. You can store wine standing upright provided that you are not storing the wine for a long period of time.

How long are we talking? I was planning on aging for 6-12 months...

Great idea about the milk crates!

Thanks everyone!

How long are we talking? I was planning on aging for 6-12 months...

Great idea about the milk crates!

If you want to store wine for that long, I highly recommend that you store your bottles on their sides. As mentioned before, you should have the wine in contact with the cork, otherwise the corks could dry out/shrink and expose your wine to outside air.

I had some scrap plywood. I made a box with 5 - 3" x9" sections that allows 3 bottles to sit next to each other. The theory is to have the box upright the first few days to let the corks expand and then tilt the box over to have the bottles laying on their sides. This holds 15 bottles and is stackable.

Back