corking screw top bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no...
screw top bottles are not designed to handle corks.

they are not strong enough.

Allie

You can but you are risky grave danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive done it once before I knew better, Then I talked with someone from another forum who has had multiple surgeries on his hand from a bottle exploding will corking it and the bottel shattered going through one of his tendons.

from Wade and myself, that is a resounding NO!

tendon and nerve damage is not easily repaired.
please don't risk it

Allie

Despite the previous comments, some people successfully cork screw cap bottles. I have seen cork finish bottles shatter when corked (fortunately no injuries). You should always be very careful handling glass bottles.

BTW, some people have said that getting a cork out of a screw cap bottle with a waiter style corkscrew is difficult and may damage the glass.

Steve

Despite the previous comments, some people successfully cork screw cap bottles. I have seen cork finish bottles shatter when corked (fortunately no injuries). You should always be very careful handling glass bottles.

BTW, some people have said that getting a cork out of a screw cap bottle with a waiter style corkscrew is difficult and may damage the glass.

Steve

Lol Steve..

my response is based on NZ having mainly screw cap bottles that i recycle..

I don't use corks at all. NZ is one of the few countries that use screw tops exclusively. anything corked.. is imported.

Allie

Lol Steve..

my response is based on NZ having mainly screw cap bottles that i recycle..

I don't use corks at all. NZ is one of the few countries that use screw tops exclusively. anything corked.. is imported.

Allie
And my response is based on talking to customers who corked screw cap bottles, and seeing them corked when I ran an FoP. And having done a few myself.

I'm not recommending it, just saying that a few folks do it.

Steve

Allie do you just save the caps and reuse the bottles that way . We have used a few that way but always drink those ones in a couple of months I put the shrink caps seals over them for extra protect from air getting in .

yes I do.. and they are keeping really well.. my cellar is fairly new..with wines hitting the 16 month mark now. I check all the screw caps to make sure the foil is intact before I use then.

Allie do you just save the caps and reuse the bottles that way . We have used a few that way but always drink those ones in a couple of months I put the shrink caps seals over them for extra protect from air getting in .

Darlene - not sure which shrinks you are using but they generally have vent holes in them so you may be getting a false sense of security there.

Latest posts

Back