Corking screw-top bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obelix

Reaction score
Hi ,

About to bottle wine for the first time - and only have the screw-top wine bottles available.
Any issues with storing wine in the screw-top bottles using cork?

Thanks

Hi ,

About to bottle wine for the first time - and only have the screw-top wine bottles available.
Any issues with storing wine in the screw-top bottles using cork?

Thanks

I’ve seen folks say they’ve had issues, others who’ve not, it’s not ideal, get the proper bottles if you can, the wine will wait.

They are subject to breaking at the neck sine the screw tops don’t have the band around the top making them weaker at the top

Thanks guys. Probably better to get the proper bottles then.
Will be easier with the cork sizing as well.

You can always try novotwist capsules. They fit most screw cap bottles and can be applied by hand. I haven't used them but plan on getting some as I have a heap of screw cap bottles. Will also be buying some new bottles and corks as well. Pretty sure novotwists are no more than around 50c each if you buy in 50-100 or so. That's Australian price. Cheapest cork bottles I can find in Adelaide are 80c each and corks 20c each so I'll be ahead on the screw cap bottles I scored for free.

I'll google it. Thanks....then retrieve the bottles I just put into my recycling bin :)

Hey Obelix,
I made a typo its novatwist. Sorry about that. There's a seller on ebay with a special atm $31.99 for 100 plus $7.60 postage in Australia.

Thanks Slappy.

Re: spelling
Google picked it up and I got the right page :)

It's actually very practical to twist it on by hand. No need for thr machine.
Will order a set, thanks for this info
Cheers

I used to make test bottles in screw top bottles using corks. I stopped after a year. The threaded area of the glass is too weak. The neck top would either crack or break off when I attempted to remove cords. You need to buy some Novatwist screw caps. They claim that you can get several trips out of these things.

Cheers guys.
I'll order the Novatwist tomorrow. It will save me a lot of time. Even better if I could use them twice. Should be able to collect enough of proper bottles within two seasons.
Until then... :)

Cheers ahoy.
I've been bottling in recycled screwtops several years, using recycled and sterilized screw caps. Had only two leaks; I needed to twist on another quarter turn. The Novatwist looks great, and is cheap enough to let me switch. And the bottled wine looks much better. But seriously, what's the knock on just reusing the bottles and the caps they came with? The Novatwist promo material says you can reuse them; is the plastic that much better?

I have bottled in screw tops - I use #8 corks and a 2-handed corker. Use a double handled corkscrew to remove the cork. Never had a chip, break or crack. I bottle a few for myself that way every batch ........... and I get warned about it every time I post a pic. LOL
However - that doesn't mean it's ideal. MOST screw tops bottles are thinner in the neck and lack the rim at the top. (Verdi bottles are actually thicker glass than corked bottles). Bottles designed for corks ARE better for corking. I never tried novarwist - I'll look into it.............once my supply of #8 corks is almost gone. ;-)

Just a quick look & they don't seem to available from a USA distributor. I found a Canadian seller, but none in the states.

Last edited:
I reused the original screw tops with some lesser quality wine and it worked OK. But not sure how it would stand the test of time.
I ordered the Novatwist tops anyway but will use 10 proper bottles for longer keeping.

The Novatwist turned out fine.
I used them on all kind of bottles except on two weird ones.

Press down hard - twist to the right until locked.

How well they keep the air out we'll know soon enough, however everything seems fine.

At Au $0.36 per top - I'm planning to reuse them a few times :)

I have come across 50 screw top bottles with their original caps. Can I still wash and sanitize these caps and re-use them, as long as they don't leak?

I have come across 50 screw top bottles with their original caps. Can I still wash and sanitize these caps and re-use them, as long as they don't leak?

You might be able to close them enough that they don't leak, but are they really sealed where no oxygen can get inside the caps. My guess is no, they cannot be. But, it's your wine, it really depends on how long you think you are going to keep them before drinking them. I think, if you probably will drink in under a year, maybe. I wouldn't chance it, but Your Mileage May Vary (as they say)

Thanks cmason. I checked a few of them out and they seem to have an inner seal at the bottom of the cap that's still in tact. I hate to through away 50 bottles . . . I will try this time around, like you said time will tell.

I have corked screw cap bottles for some time now with #8 corks with no problems so far.......can't say it want happen,but no problems so far. Most of may wine is consumed or given away to friends who drink it right away. Would not use them on anything I wanted to age a few years.

Latest posts

Back