Corking Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan M

Heckuva Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and relatively new to home winemaking. I've made 5 wines from kits but am unhappy with how my corks look. The corks have one edge that stick up above the top of the bottle, or in the extreme cases, that edge actually tears off. I expect them to have a depression in the center but not to this extreme. I'm attaching a picture. Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.
Dan M

IMG_1746.jpg IMG_1745.jpg

First welcome to WMT.

The double arm corking tool I have does the same. A guess is that the push piston is a bit on the small side and the plastic cone is about 1mm larger. I don’t want to encourage it but the only fix might be drilling the plastic cone so that it is a hair less than the diameter of a bottle‘s throat.

i live with it or switch to a vacuum corking setup which has a larger diameter piston and cone.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I feel better already knowing that I may just have a crappy corker. I've read a few things online that say this corker works better with #8 corks, but I may still pursue a modification. I'll post again if I am successful. Looking at floor corkers, I've seen an Italian one by Ferrari (must be fast) or a Portuguese one by LD Carlson which costs 1/2 as much. The reviews for the Portuguese one were very good. Would you please comment on these or recommend something else? I haven't done an exhaustive search but just looked at a couple available locally. Thanks again for your help!
Dan M

Thank you all for the quick responses. I feel better already knowing that I may just have a crappy corker. I've read a few things online that say this corker works better with #8 corks, but I may still pursue a modification. I'll post again if I am successful. Looking at floor corkers, I've seen an Italian one by Ferrari (must be fast) or a Portuguese one by LD Carlson which costs 1/2 as much. The reviews for the Portuguese one were very good. Would you please comment on these or recommend something else? I haven't done an exhaustive search but just looked at a couple available locally. Thanks again for your help!
Dan M
I have the Portuguese floor corker that I got for around $50 from Labelpeelers. I love it!

OK. So, the modifications to my hand corker did not improve the situation. :( I just ordered the Portuguese Floor Corker from Label Peelers. This place has the best prices around. Before the pandemic, I used to save the shipping too, as I drove right past it on my way to my son's college. Thanks again for all the replies and advice. I like this forum!
Dan M

the first question is how many bottles do you plan on doing? The double lever is good for getting your feet wet as with six gallon carboys, two cases. However if you are doing ten cases at a time the floor corker is a good choice.
I use synthetic corks which do not break as you have seen with natural cork.
I feel better already knowing that I may just have a crappy corker. Looking at floor corkers, I've seen an Italian one by Ferrari (must be fast) or a Portuguese one by LD Carlson which costs 1/2 as much. The reviews for the Portuguese one were very good. Would you please comment on these or recommend something else?
there are lots of discussions about favorite corking tool if you do a search upper right menu.

It was more about the quality of the corking for me. I typically do 30 bottles at a time which I have done 5 times since April. My feet were wet with the hand corker, and I didn't like it. So I ordered the Portuguese Floor Corker. Funny Story... It came today and didn't work properly. The spring-loaded base that the bottle sits on did not move up and down freely as the shaft was bent. I called Label Peelers and they had another one there that did the same thing. They think they got a bad batch. Their customer service is good and I know they'll make it right. Sometimes stuff happens.
Dan M

The Ferrari is also physically bigger with a longer handle. This makes it easier to compress the corks, especially synthetic corks (Normacorcs for me) . It's a bit more money than the Portuguese corker, but in the end, it's a better tool for the job.

Dan M
I have the Portuguese corker, and it works really well: stands firmly on the floor.....................................Dizzy

The one thing I have seen with the double corker, which I have been using, is you have to
make sure the cork is centered in the receiver of the corker.

Bill

I got Portuguese floor corker last year, and cannot believe I waited so long. Even though I usually only bottle 2-4 cases at a time, it was well worth it.

Latest posts

Back