corking, as in getting corked

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
I apologize for not searching for this answer either I'm too lazy or not smart enough to use the search function I suspect it's a little of both. The question I have is about cork size, #7, #8 and #9. Is big better, With a large machine it does not seam to matter, thanks. bk

#8 corks work well with a hand corker. I try to use a cork that's 1 3/4" in length. A lot of people use #9 corks. It's easier to get those in with a floor corker or an automatic corker.
I've read about people getting the nines in with a double lever hand corker but you've got to use some muscle.
For the best seal on a standard 750ml bottle use a #9 and a floor corker. Eights will work well for wines you plan to drink within a couple of years.
It's all about the compression and seal the cork provides.

Homer, Welcome aboard! xanxer82 is correct with the information above. If you have a floor corker use #9 and if you don't have one consider it. How about going in our introductions thread and tell us a little bit about yourself. What are you making and what are you planning on making. Keep the questions coming, lots of experienced folks here in the forum.

The #7 are for the 375 ml dessert wine bottles even though when using a floor corker I use the 9 x 1.75 corks. If using a floor corker go with #9 x 1.75 on regular bottles and if using a hand corker go with the #8 x 1.5. Welcome homer and dont be sorry you asked us. Almost every search function on every site seems to bite the big one and thats why we are here, to answer your questions.

I rented the floor corker from the local brew shop, ( $5.00 bucks a day) thanks for the insight on the cork sizes.
I just bottled the RJ Spagnols Merlot, I was impressed with the overall taste, a little rough around the edges but some time in the bottles should help. The Pino Griego is ready to bottle now and have a RJ premium Cabernet on order.
Nancy wants to make a fruit wine from scratch. bk

Welcome Homer, you're the guy that made Babe Ruth famous. I use a #9 x 1 3/4 for both 375ml and 750ml bottles. Don't feel like buying 2 different sizes and I don't bottle a lot of 375ml. I do have a floor corker and what a breeze. I love it.

I do use 1.75 on m y dessert wines with the floor corker and will adjust that post but Ive noticed a few times that even with the floor corker gettng a #9 x 1.75 into a 375 is a little rough and may scrape an edge but have never had a leaker yet using Georges corks. Ive had leakers before with most other corks and also had some that once the cork was in was extremely hard to get them back out and probably why Ive broken a few rabbit ear cork screws over the years and why I dont buy them anymore.

Latest posts

Back