Corking 101

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Italian hand corker with #9s..Never a problem other than the occasional dimple on the top of the cork.

Soaking corks is not a good method!

I agree. #8's are set up for a hand corker and no need to get the corks wet.
Use Wades Corkador set up for sanitizing the corks. :br

:u In a corkador.. for real..

I agree with tom. Just a simple corkidore. A bucket, jug a k-meta, corks around the open jug and a lid.

Cork-i-dor01.jpg
Cork-i-dor.jpg

Today I bottled and corked 6 bottles of wine from a small wine kit that I recived for Christmas. I used #9 corks, soaked them and sanitised them and used a 2 handle with the leaver and for my first time corking, it went pretty good. But I can see the #8s going in alittle bit easyier. I will use the #8s for when I bottle my 30 bottles in the spring time.

Hand corkers all differ. But in general #8 corks will work better in a hand corker. #9 for floor corkers. I would not "soak the corks. Rather make a corkador for sanitizing them

keep in mind the reason #8 corks insert easier is because they are looser. this may ultimately affect the aging potential of the wine.

I will make a corkador this weekend. I have 30 #8 corks I can put in it. I have campden tablets. How many of them would you use. I not going to use as big a bucket as you see in the picture. Maybe a coffee can for the campten tablets and a bigger bucket for the corks. Can other things be keep in there also???

keep in mind the reason #8 corks insert easier is because they are looser. this may ultimately affect the aging potential of the wine.

That's why I use #9's. Even though I use a hand corker.

Also, please tell me that the orange home depot bucket is ok to use for the corkidore?

I don't soak my corks. I just sanitize them with some one step. I use natural #8's with a hand corker. I put my bottles back in the box with the dividers and then I cork them. The box helps to steady them and keeps them from moving when you cork them. So far no problems but then again my wine doesn't sit around in the bottle very long either. :d

Latest posts

Back