Corkers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend you buy a Portuguese corker and use #9 corks (I use Altec corks). It is well worth the small investment, $50-$60.

I know I need to get a floor corker, but it's so hard to spend the money on that instead of buying another carboy.

The floor corker rocks man, i had no idea how awesome it was until i got one. That double lever thing is nothing compared to the floor corker, you'll see. But i know what ya mean about the decision to buy a carboy or corker. I just happened to help a friend with a job and got some extra cash and went straight to the wine store to the get the corker, otherwise i would have done something stupid with the money

I used to use #9 corks with my double handled - hand corker. Just have to get the stroke down steady and hard, in one smooth motion. I had gotten pretty good with that hand corker before I finally got my floor corker.

You can use a #9 cork with a hand corker I have done it for a long time until I bought a floor corker. The only thing is it will probabbly leave a dimple in the cork but if you use shrink caps no one will ever see it.

I just bottled MM Meglioli Amarone after 1 year in bulk age. The wine still needs more time. For this wine batch, I pressed the corks a little below the lip of the bottle and used sealing wax instead of shrink foils. Most online wine/homebrew stores carry sealing wax

Last edited:
I use #9-1.75" corks and have had no problems in my double lever corker.
I got a floor corker for Christmas and love it.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to go with the #9 corks and wait till I get a couple more carboys before I get the floor corker.

Mark

I was able to get my #9 corks in the 37 bottles (24 - 750s, 13 -375s) from my first batch with my double handle corker without any issues.

If you were a little closer, you could use my floor corker, but by the time you made the trip back and forth, you could probably have a pretty decent down payment on your own with the gas money. Arne.

Unless you are aging 3+ years you can use 8's, they are designed for 1 to 2 years. for less than 1 year use tasting corks. 9's are for 3+ years.
That said, there is nothing wrong with using 9's for less time, or 8's for longer if you keep an eye on them. Then there is the guy with a 12 year old wine with a tasting cork in it....
BTW Floor corkers are the cats meow!!

Good to know. I'm sure these first batches won't be around for anywhere near the 2 year mark.

I'm not sure what corks came with the wine making kit, but I assume they were #8's because they went in fairly easy.

Thanks for the offer Arne... I was just told today that I have unlimited overtime till we get caught up at work, so that floor corker will be coming very soon!

Mark

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to go with the #9 corks and wait till I get a couple more carboys before I get the floor corker.

Mark

That's the smart way to buy. Prioritize everything you need and buy it as you can.

That's what I had to do. I now have quite a bit of money in my wine making equipment (relative speaking of course). I had to buy it over about 2 years to finally get what I really want.

For a home wine maker, I have 5 or 6 fermentor buckets of various sizes, 15 or 16 carboys of several sizes, a vacuum pump with great bottling system, and a very nice floor corker. I bought the floor corker fairly soon after I started, but that was because I met a guy who wanted to get rid of all his wine making equipment and made me a great deal.

I would still like to have a nitrogen sparger system and argon tank/regulator for temporary topping off. Oh, and I really want to get a grape press before Fall, but that is a long shot.

Latest posts

Back