Corkers and corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used a lot of corks over time and have found these to be the best with the exception of never trying syn's. but these are about 50% anyway so you get the best of both worlds.

I don't needed to buy a corker because the Wine kits store where I sometimes get my kits lets me use it free for overnight.

It would be a hassle for me to go down there and get it and bring it back every time I needed to bottle something but thats great for you if you dont need it often.

A question about corks. Should they be soaked in a sodium meta solution before being used or just in warm water. What's you advice.

The wine kits is only a 10 minute ride. So not much of a problem and I don't have to find a place. to store it

As far as corks go the best thing to do is get a collander and your primary bucket. Put the corks in the colannder and that on top of the bucket and pour 1 1/2 cups of room temp sulfite solution over them and let them drip into the bucket and then cover it all with primary lid for about 5 minutes. Its the S02 gases that really do all the work here and with any sanitizing. After that pull off lid and cork your bottles. I use a corkidor. You take a 5 gallon sealable bucket and a good size glass(i Use a 3 liter jug) of sulfite solution and pour all the corks around the jug with then cap off the jug and seal it up tight. The gases will keep the corks moist and sanitized and ready for use when bottling. Open this bucket outside as it will knock you on your butt!

I have a hot pan of water on stove(I cork next to stove) with k-met in it. I throw 10 at a time into pot and use them. When those 10 are gone I throw 10 more in. I dont soak them long. They spend about 5 minutes in solution max

These SO2 gases can dissolve quickly in the saliva in the mouth and leave an acidic taste. Inhalation of high concentrations can cause inflammation (chemical pneumonitis) and fluid build-up (pulmonary edema) in lungs or spasm of the larynx which can result in death.

This is nasty stuff. I know,as a former high school Chemistry teacher, I've been exposed this and other more hazardous materials. It can be overwhelming as Wade has said.

I dont mix it anywhere near that strong
An added note, I am using #9 2 inch natural cork when I use this method. There is no way you want to boil or soak in hot water the amalgamated waxed corks Wade uses. I use the 2 inch #9 for long term and I may be wrong about cork choice. If I can use less expensive cork without a problem I will

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back